Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Free Books and Chat - Saturday December 14, 2013

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 132 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 14, 2013 3:38:05 AM PST
Susan says:
Welcome to Free Books and Chat - Saturday December 14, 2013

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Business first....

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS

AUTHORS - THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR SELF PROMOTION.

You are welcome to join us for conversation.
However, self-promotion or posting a link to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. If you're looking to promote your work, please go to the "Meet Our Authors", many of us check there as well.

.........THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES..............

★★ Links To Free Book Resources ★★

dailyfreebooks.com

http://ereaderiq.com/freebies/

www.eReaderPerks.com

freereadfeed.com

http://www.heidoc.net/amazon/subscribe.php?department=MYSTHR&sort=TITLE&newtitles=on&GO=GO

You are strongly urged to confirm the price of the book before completing your purchase.
The price displayed on Amazon's website at the time of purchase is the price of the book.

*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。

╰❈╮Link to the FB&C Group Cookbook thread:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/cooking/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx211KPGGBLHNC6&cdMsgID=Mx3TF4806AD6YTU&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxQUJZ6FYNH8VQ#Mx3TF4806AD6YTU

*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。

╰❈╮Birthday and Anniversary / Template / States - abbreviations and time zones / Slang / How To Link:

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0Bxt8Ey-AsMfIUDZUS3p0SnpqZG8/edit?usp=sharing

°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*

╰❈╮Link To Yesterday's Thread . . .

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_t_rvt_np?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx1B1AMM57JWTML#CustomerDiscussionsNew

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 3:38:29 AM PST
Susan says:
*¨) ¸.**¨) ¸.**¨*
(¸.*´ ¸.*´*' ~* ⊱✿⊰ FB&C Start Schedule:

KaJoLa - Sunday, December 15, Start time 11:00pm-1:00am EST
Lover of Books - Monday, December 16, Start Time 10:30pm PDT
Snowlady Sandy - Tuesday, December 17, Start time around midnight PDST
Robb - Wednesday, December 18, Start Time 10pm PT
Lover of Books - Friday, December 20, Start Time 10:30pm PDT
Susan - Saturday, December 21, Start time 12pm-7am ET
Snowlady Sandy - Tuesday, December 24, Start time around midnight PDST
Lover of Books - Friday, December 27, Start Time 10:30pm PDT
Susan - Saturday, December 28, Start time 12pm-7am ET
Snowlady Sandy - Tuesday, December 31, Start time around midnight PDST

❈.♥.❈ ~~~ WE ARE IN NEED OF NEW THREAD STARTERS ~~~ ❈.♥.❈

.❈. Open Dates:

Thursday, December 19
Sunday, December 22
Monday, December 23
Wednesday, December 25
Thursday, December 26
Sunday, December 29
Monday, December 30

*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. ***

Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info.

************** We'll help you through it! **************

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 3:39:06 AM PST
Susan says:
. . . . . . . . . . . .╰♡╮ Thought of the Day ╰♡╮ . . . . . . . . . . . .

Even after all this time,
the sun never says to the earth, "You owe me!"
Look what happens with a love like that,
it lights up the whole sky.

-Hafez

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 3:40:12 AM PST
Susan says:
What goes around comes around

One day a man saw an older woman, stranded on the side of the road, but even in the dim light of day, he could see she needed help. So he pulled up in front of her Mercedes and got out. His Pontiac was still sputtering when he approached her.

Even with the smile on his face, she was worried. No one had stopped to help for the last hour or so. Was he going to hurt her? He didn't look safe; he looked poor and hungry. He could see that she was frightened, standing out there in the cold. He knew how she felt. It was those chills which only fear can put in you. He said, "I'm here to help you, ma'am. Why don't you wait in the car where it's warm? By the way, my name is Bryan Anderson."
Well, all she had was a flat tire. Bryan crawled under the car looking for a place to put the jack, skinning his knuckles a time or two. Soon he was able to change the tire. But he had to get dirty and his hands hurt.

As he was tightening up the lug nuts, she rolled down the window and began to talk to him. She told him that she was from St. Louis and was only just passing through. She couldn't thank him enough for coming to her aid.

Bryan just smiled as he closed her trunk. The woman asked how much she owed him. Any amount would have been all right with her. She already imagined all the awful things that could have happened had he not stopped. Bryan never thought twice about being paid. This was not a job to him. This was helping someone in need, and there were plenty who had given him a hand in the past. He had lived his whole life that way, and it never occurred to him to act any other way.

He told her that if she really wanted to pay him back, the next time she saw someone who needed help, she could give that person the assistance they needed, and Bryan added, "And think of me."

He waited until she started her car and drove off. It had been a cold and depressing day, but he felt good as he headed for home, disappearing into the twilight.

A few miles down the road the lady saw a small cafe. She went in to grab a bite to eat, and take the chill off before she made the last leg of her trip home. It was a dingy looking restaurant. Outside were two old gas pumps. The whole scene was unfamiliar to her. The waitress came over and brought a clean towel to wipe her wet hair. She had a sweet smile, one that even being on her feet for the whole day couldn't erase. The woman noticed the waitress was nearly eight months pregnant, but she never let the strain and aches change her attitude. The woman wondered how someone who had so little could be so giving to a stranger. Then she remembered Bryan.

After she finished her meal, she paid with a hundred dollar bill. The waitress quickly went to get change for her hundred dollar bill, but the woman had slipped right out the door. She was gone by the time the waitress came back. The waitress wondered where she could be. Then she noticed something written on the napkin.

There were tears in her eyes when she read what the woman wrote: "You don't owe me anything. I have been there too. Somebody once helped me out, the way I'm helping you. If you really want to pay me back, here is what you do, do not let this chain of love end with you." Under the napkin were four more $100 bills.

Well, there were tables to clear, sugar bowls to fill, and people to serve, but the waitress made it through another day. That night when she got home from work and climbed into bed, she was thinking about the money and what the woman had written. How could she have known how much she and her husband needed it? With the baby due next month, it was going to be hard... She knew how worried her husband was, and as he lay sleeping next to her, she gave him a soft kiss and whispered soft and low, "Everything's going to be all right. I love you, Bryan Anderson."

There is an old saying "What goes around comes around."

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 3:41:35 AM PST
Susan says:
Paying it Forward....

Selflessness is the sincere concern for the well-being of others.
It's about love.
It's about compassion.
It's about kindness.
It's about making a difference in the world.
Sure, you are only one, but you are one.
You cannot do everything, but you can do something.
Smile and enjoy the fact that you have the ability to make a difference.
So go ahead and make the words, "How can I help?" part of your everyday vocabulary.

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 3:42:17 AM PST
Susan says:
26 Acts of Kindness

December 14th marks the 1 year anniversary of the Newtown, CT shootings where 26 people (20 children & 6 adults) lost their lives.

In honor of the 1 year anniversary, many are doing 26 Acts of Kindness to honor the 26 lives that were lost.

Some Random Acts of Kindness you can do:

* Pay for the order of the person behind you in the drive-thru line.
* Leave love notes for your spouse or kids in their lunch.
* Bring water, coffee, or hot chocolate to outdoor workers (like the crossing guard at your kids school or bus driver)
* Buy a soda or candy bar for the cashier when you're checking out.
* Give a restaurant or coffee gift card to someone (bank cashier, postal worker, homeless person, or random stranger)
* Send a silly card to brighten someone's day.
* Call or email someone you haven't talked to in awhile, just to ask how they are.
* Send your spouse a text just to tell them something that you appreciate about him/her.
* Hide a kind note in a library book.
* Bake cookies for someone. (Postal carrier, neighbor, elderly friend, Sunday school teacher, Teacher, Teacher Aide, School Secretary, etc)
* Leave coins on a parking meter or the machines at a laundry mat.
* Pay the toll for the car behind you.
* Offer to return someone's shopping cart to the store.
* Let someone go ahead of you in the checkout line.
* Pay for someone's meal at a restaurant.
* Donate food to a food bank
* Bring your child's teacher a coffee or treat
* Make a meal to share with a sick or busy neighbor.
* Make cards for nursing home residents...and deliver them with your kids.
* Pick up trash at the park.
* Make care bags for the homeless (Tolietries, bottled water, food store gift cards, non-perishable/ready-to-eat foods.)
* Leave extra coupons on the store shelf next to the item they're good for.
* Take homemade cookies or cupcakes to the police or fire station.
* Bring a friend or neighbor donuts one morning
* Take magazines, crosswords or Sudoku puzzles to a waiting room at the hospital
* Take flowers to a nurses' station - for the nurses.
* Purchase a store gift card or a gas card and send it to a friend in need.

There are SO many simple things you can do.

You don't need to spend a lot of money doing this, many things you can do for free or for minimal cost.

In honor of:
Charlotte, Daniel, Olivia, Josephine, Ana, Dylan, Madeleine, Catherine, Chase, Jesse, James, Grace, Emilie, Jack, Noah, Caroline, Jessica, Avielle, Benjamin & Allison.

And 6 staff members:
Rachel Davino, Dawn Hochsprung, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Anne Marie Murphy & Victoria Soto.

You are not forgotten.

Let's spread kindness this holiday season!

26 Acts of Kindness in 26 Days.

http://mysandyhookfamily.org/

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 3:45:21 AM PST
Susan says:
Good Morning all ----

I truly do not want to bring the thread down today. I just want to remind...all of us, that we can make a difference, and how important it is to "pay it forward. So, remember to be kind to one another, and to just spread "kindness".....

I'm off to do some errands but will check in later.

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 3:45:55 AM PST
Susan says:
Summer on the Mountain
When artist Summer Windham is offered the chance to vacation at her boss, Gwendolyn's, mountain cabin, she's delighted. There's a catch, however. Gwendolyn wants her to paint a landscape to gift to her husband. Although Summer is experiencing "painter's" block, she agrees to give it a go. On the mountaintop, she meets her boss's ruggedly handsome forest ranger son, and the two immediately clash. He's convinced his mother is playing matchmaker and he simply doesn't have the time to be bothered. Or, does he?

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 3:51:03 AM PST
Dustyjob says:
Awesome start, Susan!

Jean

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2013 3:52:47 AM PST
Lenora says:
Thanks for the start, Susan. What a lovely story! :) Thanks so much for sharing! I love paying it forward and Random Acts of Kindness!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2013 3:56:18 AM PST
Lenora says:
I really love the theme you've chosen, Sandy!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2013 3:57:05 AM PST
Lenora says:
Good morning Jean! :) I hope your day has started well.

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 3:57:37 AM PST
Dustyjob says:
Good morning, Eight Lenoras. How are you doing today? I just got word that my good friend (who also lives in Florida) received a clean bill of health this week after her chemotherapy. What a blessed way to enjoy the Christmas season. May you receive the same news.

Jean

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2013 4:02:10 AM PST
Lenora says:
I'm so happy for your friend, Jean. What fabulous news! :) I won't finish the 6 rounds of the main part of my chemo until February. After next Thursday's chemo, I'll be halfway through the 6 rounds. I'm supposed to continue getting the Herceptin until I've been getting it a year, which will be next October. May I ask the general area of Florida that your friend lives?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2013 4:07:15 AM PST
Dustyjob says:
She lives by Weeki Wachee. They also started her on a drug she'll have to take for the rest of her life that is supposed to keep cancer from developing anywhere else in her body. This is her second bout with cancer -- first time it was uterine cancer; this time breast cancer.

Jean

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2013 4:16:14 AM PST
Lenora says:
Wow! She really is a survivor! I hope the drug really does keep the cancer away. Does your friend like it on the Gulf Coast? I live NE of Orlando, but the attractions are a good hour or so away. They're too expensive anyway, even for Florida residents.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2013 4:24:40 AM PST
Dustyjob says:
Yes, she is a survivor. Her daughter had a brain tumor over 20 years ago and also survived. She has only lived there for about 2 years. Before that she lived on Cudjoe Key for many years. They love Florida, but moved to be closer to doctors and shopping, etc. Before we moved this last time, we were thinking of moving to Florida, but with our arthritis we were worried that we would be in too much pain on a daily basis, so stayed in AZ. Someday we might buy a vacation condo in Florida. I really like the St. Augustine area. How long have you lived in Florida?

Jean

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 4:29:00 AM PST
 nospin  says:
A Clockwork Fairytale (Fantasy Romance) - fantasy, romance

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 4:35:24 AM PST
Suze says:
Susan,
I loved your start and story! Before I even opened my iPad this morning I was getting a bag ready for the food bank to take to church tomorrow. I love to put in little surprises like new pens or body lotion or a book.

Last weekend we collected coats, hats and new toys to be distributed locally. There was literally a mountain of donations in the lobby. As I was adding my stuff there was a little, darling 2 year old girl who had taken off her pink, puffy coat and was trying to fling it up into the "mountain of stuff". Her dad had to tell her she couldn't give her own coat because it was a bitterly cold day and she would need it. In typical 2 year old fashion she was very loudly insisting that she was giving her coat!! I loved it!! I wish I could give that way!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2013 4:36:42 AM PST
Lenora says:
I've lived in Florida 26 years. When I graduated from college, teachers were being laid off in Michigan. I subbed and job hunted for 3 years. The school districts are much smaller in Michigan than Florida. Here, each county is a school district. I had interviews, and actually was told by a few principals that they wanted to hire me (wouldn't happen today!), but there always seemed to be someone who was a cousin to a school board member. I had an aunt who paid for a plane ticket down here for me. Florida and Las Vegas were the 2 places hiring at the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2013 4:37:41 AM PST
Lenora says:
Very nice, Suze! :)

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 5:22:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2013 6:10:17 AM PST
I posted this yesterday but in case you missed it,
It goes with Susan's open..
It is about the life of one of the girls killed..

You might need a bunch of tissues for this one..

http://www.faithit.com/sandy-hook-family-powerful-story-of-faith-emilie-parker/

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2013 5:26:46 AM PST
Lenora says:
I saw it on FB the last 2 days. It brought tears to my eyes, but the joy at the end was beautiful.

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 7:08:35 AM PST
Good morning all :) Thank you for the start, Susan - not a downer at all, we should all be remembering those that we have lost.

Some book choices before work:
The Artist's Paradise - Pamela Wetterman - Contemporary Fiction
Two Runs Of Stone: "Wagons West" - Steven Nielsen - Historical Fiction
MATTHEW PRIOR - The Queen's Pawn - Alan Butler - Historical Fiction
Neighbors - William Cory - Contemporary Fiction
See a Man about a Dog. - Philip West - Contemporary Fiction
An Idol Husband (The Tenshi Series) - Cilia Jaspers - Romance
Anybody's Daughter (Angela Evans Series No. 2) - Pamela Samuels Young - Crime/Mystery/Thriller
The Mask of Anonymity: A Story of the American West - Preston Malone - Crime/Mystery/Thriller
Intimate Illusions - Shawna Hill - Romance

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 7:26:00 AM PST
Susan says:
@ Jean, Lenora and Donna - thanks :)

@ Nospin - It' nice to see you here, how are you feeling?

@Suze - I like your story, talk about giving the "shirt" off of your back :)

@Sandy - thanks for the link....
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 2511 4 minutes ago
3M Cloud Library and Kindle Paperwhite 214 6 minutes ago
Cannot deliver to selected device 13 8 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The Answers Are Blowing In The Wind 1571 14 minutes ago
Sporatic highlighting of passages on Android tablet 3 23 minutes ago
Family Share - Shared books not showing after download in library 17 25 minutes ago
Downloading True Crime Books 43 27 minutes ago
Where are my book credits!!!??? 108 30 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 4093 31 minutes ago
OASIS: Please Amazon! 182 35 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  132
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2013
Latest post:  Dec 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions