Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books and Chat (FB&C) - Friday, March 28, 2014

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 102 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 27, 2014 9:03:38 PM PDT
kajola says:
Welcome to Free Books and Chat (FB&C) -Friday, March 28, 2014
Thanks for stopping by!

⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰

*Links To Free Book Resources *

dailyfreebooks.com

http://ereaderiq.com/freebies/

www.eReaderPerks.com

freereadfeed.com

http://www.heidoc.net/amazon/subscribe.php?department=MYSTHR&sort=TITLE&newtitles=on&GO=GO

You are strongly urged to confirm the price of the book before completing your purchase.
The price displayed on Amazon's website at the time of purchase is the price of the book.

SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS - THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR SELF PROMOTION.

You are welcome to join us for conversation.
However, self-promotion or posting a link to your book in this forum is against Amazon's TOS. If you're looking to promote your work, please go to the "Meet Our Authors" forum, many of us check there as well: http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors

.........THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES..............

╰❈╮Link To Yesterday's FB&C Thread . . .
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx1D61TTY6GGBHX

╰❈╮Birthday and Anniversary / Template / States - abbreviations and time zones / Slang / How To Link: https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0Bxt8Ey-AsMfIUDZUS3p0SnpqZG8/edit?usp=sharing

╰❈╮Link to the FB&C Group Cookbook thread:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/cooking/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx211KPGGBLHNC6&cdMsgID=Mx3TF4806AD6YTU&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxQUJZ6FYNH8VQ#Mx3TF4806AD6YTU

♥♡♥ The next FB&C Book Discussion will be held April 3, 2014.♥♡♥

The book selected is Book of Mercy by Sherry Roberts.
Not Free Now, but lending enabled.

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 9:05:34 PM PDT
kajola says:
*** NOTE: SCHEDULE HAS BEEN UPDATED ***

*¨) ¸.**¨) ¸.**¨*
(¸.*´ ¸.*´*' ~* ⊱✿⊰ FB&C Start Schedule:

Susan - Saturday, March 29 - start time 11 pm or 6 am EDT
Red - Sunday, March 30 - start time around midnight PT
Leo Little - Monday, March 31 - start time 1 am PDT
Snowlady Sandy - Tuesday, April 1- start time around 12:00 PT
Ketta - Wednesday, April 2 - start time around 1am EDT
Robb - Thursday, April 3 - start time around 10 pm PDT
Robb - Friday, April 4 - start time around 10 pm PDT
Susan - Saturday, April 5 - start time 11 pm or 6 am EDT
Snowlady Sandy - Tuesday, April 8- start time around 1200 PT

.✿. Open Dates:

Sunday, April 6
Monday, April 7

⊱✿⊰ ~~~ NEW THREAD STARTERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME ~~~ ⊱✿⊰

Just choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info.
**************** We'll help you through it! ****************

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 9:06:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2014 9:19:20 PM PDT
kajola says:
Believe it or not -
Today, March 28th, is "Something on a Stick Day"

⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰ ⊱✿⊰

No, we are not talking about mops or brooms (although we are very thankful for them, of course!) but Something on a Stick Day is all about celebrating foods we love to eat - that just happen to come on a stick!

Who doesn't love relaxed finger food that you can pick up by the stick and eat? So whether it's a toffee apple, camp-fire sausage, cheese cubes on a toothpick, ice cream bar, lollipop or other lovely treats, feel free to indulge in them on this day! Or why not try the favourite American food on a stick if you can - the famous corn dog?

What about planning an entire meal of a starter, main course and dessert all on sticks? Easy, informal, and fun - and very little cleaning up to do afterwards! What a great theme for a dinner party to have on Something on a Stick Day!

What is your favorite food that is served or prepared on a stick/skewer?

Recipes are welcome!

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 9:09:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2014 9:13:57 PM PDT
kajola says:
Here is one that is always popular with the kids:

Pittsburgh City Chicken

If you don't know what City Chicken is, here's a hint: It ain't chicken...

That's right. City Chicken is actually pork and sometimes even veal and/or beef, but never chicken. A popular dish in Pittsburgh and the surrounding region, this mock-chicken dinner has been handed down for generations over the past century. In the early 1900s, chicken was much more expensive than pork. Immigrants would try to replicate the flavor of the swanky fried chicken using more accessible meats like pork and veal. Today we still eat it because it's a family tradition, plus it's delicious!

For more Pittsburgh recipes, visit northsidekitchen(dot)com

1 lb. pork shoulder, cut into 1-1/2 inch uniform cubes
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 sprigs fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
4-6 six-inch wooden skewers
1 garlic clove, halved
1/4 cup olive oil
1 10-oz can low-sodium chicken stock

Preheat oven to 350 F.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, S&P, and the leaves of four thyme sprigs. Stir until well blended. Roll pork pieces in flour mixture until completely covered, gently shake off excess flour, and remove to a dry plate.

Pierce the meat onto skewers evenly. You should fit 3 -4 meat cubes on each stick.

Rub the bottom of an enameled cast iron pot or pan with the cut side of the clove of garlic. Reserve garlic for later use. Heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium high heat. When the oil is hot but not smoking, add the pork skewers to the oil and allow to brown until golden and crispy on all four sides, about 4 minutes per side. Add a little more oil to the pan if it all gets soaked up early.

Leave the pork in the pan and pour in the chicken stock and drop in two sprigs of thyme and the reserved garlic. Bring to a simmer and transfer pan to the oven, uncovered. Let simmer for one half hour, turn skewers over and continue cooking for another half hour.

Remove pan to stovetop. If the juices are still thin, let simmer on stovetop until reduced to desired consistency.

*Complete Dinner Idea: City chicken, Mashed potatoes, peas or green
Beans, and a fruit cobbler

This book has some recipes on a stick. I hope it stays free all day:
Campfire Recipes :The Ultimate Guide - Over 30 Quick & Easy Recipes
Don't settle for plain old hotdogs on your next camping trip. Get creative with the meals you plan and take your outdoor cuisine to the next level. Even a novice camper can enjoy campfire cooking with a little planning and preparation. Adapt your favorite recipes or invent new ones to enhance the camping experience. While a camping trip can be filled with several fun activities, it's important to have several campfire meals planned for the trip as well. These meals should be as delicious as if it was prepared in a full kitchen. We have collected the most delicious and camping convenient recipes from around the world. Enjoy!

And here is one for dessert:
Dessert Skewers - The Ultimate Recipe Guide
Dessert skewers let you take ordinary sweets and turn them into something pretty and fun for dessert. You can mix a variety of fruits or baked goods onto skewers. Serve with dipping sauces to increase the range of flavors and textures. We have collected over 30 of the most delicious and best selling recipes from around the world. Enjoy!

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 9:10:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2014 9:21:41 PM PDT
kajola says:
Happy birthday from the heart❤
Cause that's where all great wishes start

* ★ * ★ * ★ * ★ * ★ * ★ * ★ * ★ * ★ *
Happy 97th Birthday kathy04092's Mom
* ★ * ★ * ★ * ★ * ★ * ★ * ★ * ★ * ★ *

--------------- () -- () -- ()
--------------- || -- || -- ||
--------- @€@€@€❤€@€@€@
--------- {'~*~*~*~*~*~*~}
--------- @€@€@€❤€@€@€@
----------------- )------(
-- @€@€@€@€@€❤€@€@€@€@€@
-- {*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~}
-- @€@€@€@€@€❤€@€@€@€@€@
-------______)---------(______
----- (____________________)

✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮

Hope lovely surprises are coming your way
To make your birthday a wonderful day!

✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮ ✿⊱╮

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 9:29:25 PM PDT
kajola says:
I am heading to bed now. Talk to you all in the morning.

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 9:45:59 PM PDT
KaJoLa, Thanks for getting us started...
Food on a stick?..... I always buy mini corn dogs and they don't have one.....
I guess a toothpick would do... LOL

Dessert idea? angel food cake squares and a chocolate fountain.. or Strawberries...
But My Favorite would have to be Grilled Shrimp...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2014 10:53:59 PM PDT
redandwhite says:
@ KaJoLa
Thank you for the start today.
Food on a stick - well I think I will have to go for ice creams, though the weather right now does not really encourage that thought just makes me feel chilly :-)

I discovered that today is also Black Forest Cake Day - Chocolate, cherries and cream are on the menu for Black Forest Cake Day. Black forest cake, or Black Forest gateaux are the English names for the German dessert, Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, which translates to Black Forest cherry torte - now that I can go for in a big way, and I think that Rudi-puss will beg for a big piece too :-)

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 10:54:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2014 10:55:30 PM PDT
redandwhite says:
☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。
Happy 97th Birthday kathy04092's Mom
☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 11:23:56 PM PDT
redandwhite says:
A young man, who was also an avid golfer, found himself with a few hours to spare one afternoon. He figured that if he hurried and played very fast, he could get in 9 holes before he had to head home. Just as he was about to tee off, an old gentleman shuffled onto the tee and asked if he could accompany the young man as he was golfing alone. Not being able to say no, he allowed the old man to join him.

To his surprise, the old man played fairly quickly. He didn't hit the ball far, but plodded along consistently and didn't waste much time. Finally, they reached the 9th fairway and the young man found himself with a tough shot. There was a large pine tree right in front of his ball and directly between his ball and the green. After several minutes of debating how to hit the shot, the old man finally said, "You know, when I was your age, I'd hit the ball right over that tree."

With that challenge placed before him, the youngster swung hard, hit the ball up, right smack into the top of the tree trunk and it thudded back on the ground not a foot from where it had originally lay.

The old man offered one more comment, "Of course, when I was your age, that pine tree was only 3 feet tall."

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 11:23:58 PM PDT
red, this one is for you.....
http://www.gocomics.com/aunty-acid/2014/03/27#.UzUVHmdOWM8

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2014 11:33:32 PM PDT
redandwhite says:
Hi Sandy
......and only if those cupcakes were chocolate ones LOL
How are you doing hope all is well in your world, what are you reading ?

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 12:08:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 28, 2014 12:08:32 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
I would like to thank GiGi for updating us about KayKay, it is good to hear that she is alright, I have been pretty worried about her.

I am hoping that everyone has a good TGIF day today.

A linguistics professor was lecturing to his class one day.

"In English," he said, "a double negative forms a positive. In some languages though, such as Russian, a double negative is still a negative.

However," he pointed out, "there is no language wherein a double positive can form a negative."

A voice from the back of the room piped up, "Yeah. Right."

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2014 12:32:13 AM PDT
Not much has been going on around here..
Chris has been sick but he's better now..
I applied for a Front Desk Clerk at a motel today..
Would be nice if I started getting some interviews...
Even one would raise my spirits some.

I actually have been able to get invested in a book for awhile..
I have started a few but they haven't grabbed me..
Tomorrow I'm going to start Book of Mercy...

Starting Season 6 of Smallville...

How are things on your side of the pond..
Can't be too bad cause it's Friday.....

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 3:42:25 AM PDT
Stuff on a stick! Oh, how I used to love the absolutely health-killing fair fare like chicken-on-a-stick and corn dogs (for some reason, called pronto pups at the state fair). Why is it more fun to eat food off a stick? Our favorite, and one we have become famous for serving guests, is Mark Bittman's Spicy Grilled Shrimp, the recipe I most often use from (NOT FREE!) Fish: Complete Guide to Buying and Cooking (NOT FREE, NOT KINDLE). It is also gluten-free/wheat-free, so it remains on our menu.

2 lbs. shrimp
1 large clove garlic
1 Tablespoon coarse or Kosher salt
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, ground
1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika, either sweet or hot, according to preference (make sure powdered spices do not contain gluten for GF dish)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

Peel the shrimp and, if you like, butterfly them or remove the sand vein. Mince the garlic with the salt, and mix that with the cayenne and paprika, then make it into a paste with the olive oil and lemon juice. Smear the paste all over the shrimp. Start a charcoal or gas grill, or preheat the broiler -- the fire can be as hot as you like. Grill or broil shrimp, 2 to 3 minutes per side, depending on heat of fire and size of shrimp. Do not overcook, as shrimp become tough and rubbery when overcooked. Serve immediately, or at room temperature, with lemon wedges, if desired.
Alternatives: Use crawfish, or scallops, in place of shrimp.
Gluten-free, naturally!

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 4:18:57 AM PDT
kajola says:
Good morning!

Red - I saw the Black Forest Cake day, too. Maybe we could make minis and put them on a stick!?!?
Sounds messy.

PlaysInTheDirt - Your shrimp recipe sounds delicious. I will have to try that.

Sandy - Chocolate fountain - yum! My son has been looking for a job for quite a while also. He will be working at Boy Scout summer camp but that is only for about 7 weeks this summer. He can't even find anything else part time. Unfortunately it seems to be a bad time to be looking for a job. Hope you find something soon.

Must get going to work now. Have a great day everyone!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2014 4:20:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 28, 2014 4:21:35 AM PDT
Suze says:
Thanks KaJoLa!

Yes, we were served City Chicken growing up here right outside of Pittsburgh, PA. I've made it a few times. In the grocery stores there are packages of pork cubes and wooden sticks sold in the meat department, labelled as "City Chicken"!

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 4:29:26 AM PDT
Suze says:
╰♥╮¤°.¸¸.·´¯`» FRIDAY QUESTION «´¯`·.¸¸.°¤╰♥╮

You are spending the summer at a beautiful, remote beach house with a group of your favorite people!! The only glitch is there are no restaurants ( or cleaning companies), since the location is so remote. You are therefore each doing a household chore.......which one would you choose, one you actually don't mind doing and may even enjoy???

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 4:39:49 AM PDT
Cooking! That is always the one I choose. Luckily, I am also usually asked to choose it!

Here is a link to a memory test, which is linked to a legitimate study on Alzheimer's Disease. My paternal grandmother suffered from what is now called early-onset Alzheimer's. Back then, it wasn't considered Alzheimer's unless the onset was early. I am aware of a heightened risk, so I do whatever I can to exercise both body and brain.
https://www.mindcrowd.org/#1101

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 5:16:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 28, 2014 5:17:38 AM PDT
Dustyjob says:
Plays -- that shrimp sounds delicious. Putting shrimp on my shopping list.

KaJoLa -- Don't have anything suitable for being on a stick, but if the ice cream truck comes by today, I would consider an ice cream bar. But if it's virtual, then I think I would go with Sandy's suggestion of a chocolate fountain with angel food cake.

Suze -- My first thought was cooking. But then I like to try different things, so I think I would defer the cooking to someone else. That would make me the official kitchen cleaner-upper.

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 5:55:10 AM PDT
Favorite food on a stick: Japanese yakitori. Pieces of marinated chicken breast on a bamboo skewer, interspersed with onions and peppers. Second favorite: Greek salmon kebabs. Chunks of marinated salmon with veggies.

The one "food" on a stick that I hate: lollipops!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2014 6:08:21 AM PDT
kajola says:
Suze - thanks for an interesting Friday Question!

Years ago we did go to the Outer Banks where we rented a house that was only accessible from the sandy beach - no roads. There were no restaurants or maid services so we had to do everything ourselves. It was a group of people from my family and most of them were there for the whole week. I could only go for a few days because of work, so I didn't have to do as many chores as others.

Normally I would choose laundry, but I remember from those few days just how much laundry must be done when there is sand involved. Back then my sister did that chore, and it seemed that it was a nonstop job. So I will choose cooking. Hopefully I won't have to be the only one to cook every meal (share duries with PlaysInTheDirt). But I do like to cook and I hate cleaning.

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 7:07:59 AM PDT
LKS says:
Elle~ Happy Grandma Lita Day. You are special to us here at FB&C, but you must be VERY SPECIAL to a certain granddaughter! Real hugs and kisses to & from a sweet little 4 year old are unforgettable. Enjoy your family.

Suze~ cooking. I would do it at home and freeze it. While on vacation, just heat and eat! Did that, for years, when we would go to the shore.

TNT~ Thinking of you and sending hugs!

Good morning to ALL! Have a wonderful weekend!

In loving friendship, Kay.

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 7:33:37 AM PDT
robb says:
Let's see - cooking, washing the dishes, laundry or an occasional fling with a broom - I think I'll opt for taking Bailey on daily beach walks.

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 8:22:42 AM PDT
Hah! We'll assign you to walk all the dogs, not just Bailey!

We have recorded 2-plus inches of rain -- the equivalent of 2 feet of snow for those who have yet to thaw -- and the thunder continues to roll. I have one storm-phobic dog and one storm-phobic horse. I spent some time in the laundry room this morning with Dog, who was much less anxious in a room without windows. It's not a good day for cleaning stalls. It is a good day for curling up with popcorn (not on a stick), a book, and some kind of lap top. Nikko suggests he makes a better laptop than Hewlett-Packard.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
June Informal Poll -- What are you reading? 224 5 minutes ago
Kindle fire battery not keeping charge 3 7 minutes ago
July 2016 Informal Poll -- What are you reading? 0 9 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 6654 15 minutes ago
So can you turn the Paperwhite light completely off? 748 17 minutes ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 203 17 minutes ago
Amazon Echo 8904 19 minutes ago
FREE Books and Chat - July 2016 4 29 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 7750 51 minutes ago
Kindle Fire won't make notification sounds 60 54 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  102
Initial post:  Mar 27, 2014
Latest post:  Mar 29, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions