Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

How much did the first Kindle cost?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 1, 2011 1:20:17 AM PDT
Mark says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 1:28:08 AM PDT
A. Sisk says:
1. This isn't Amazon that you are writing to, this is a board of Kindle users.

2. EVERY product that is groundbreaking is going to cost more upon the initial release. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

3. Your timeline is WAAAAAY off.

4. People lost interest in Kindle when the iPad was introduced? You don't know what you are talking about.

5. All companies are out to make a profit -- and they are entitled to do so.

6. Marketing is an integral part of sales.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 1:38:23 AM PDT
Mark says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 1:52:31 AM PDT
Carbonbased says:
US debut of wi-fi iPad--April 3, 2010.

Copied from Wikipedia:
Amazon released the Kindle First Generation on November 19, 2007, for US$399 and was sold out in five and a half hours. The device remained out of stock for five months until late April 2008.
On February 10, 2009, Amazon announced the Kindle 2. It became available for purchase on February 23, 2009.
On July 8, 2009, Amazon reduced price of the Kindle 2 from the original $359 to $299. On October 7, 2009, Amazon further reduced the price of the Kindle 2 to $259.
On October 7, 2009, Amazon announced an international version of the Kindle 2 with the ability to download new titles in over 100 countries. It became available October 19, 2009.
On October 22, 2009, Amazon lowered the price on the international version from $279 to $259 and discontinued the U.S.-only model.
On June 21, 2010, hours after Barnes & Noble lowered the price of its Nook, Amazon lowered the price of the Kindle 2 to $189

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 2:00:08 AM PDT
my k3 2g wifi was 189 seems the prices have going down to me

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 2:42:12 AM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
Amazon figures that there is some percentage of the iPad market that isn't looking for a netbook replacement or a device that can be used professionally, but instead is only interested in media consumption, with a little personal email ad web browsing thrown in.

So they are trying to strip out that part of the market and target it with a device that can do the media part really well, along with the browsing and email, and simply ignore the rest. If they're right, they will create a new category just as they did with the Kindle.

The Apple product most like the Fire is the iPod Touch. People who might buy an iPad because they want a bigger iTouch will look closely at the Fire instead.

Yes, Amazon is competing with Apple. And I think they've found the niche where they can place a wedge and start opening up a new market for themselves.

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 6:29:38 AM PDT
The first Kindle was $399 because e-ink screens were very expensive and very fragile. Amazon had no idea what demand would be like and were probably shocked when the first lot sold out in 5.5 hours. As the ereaders became more and more popular, prices came down. Amazon could have done an Apple pricing thing which is charge what the market will bear and, judging by what happened on eBay after the first lot sold out, there is a market for $399 to $600 ereaders. But Amazon lowered the prices regularly as their costs came down.

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 7:17:45 AM PDT
Debi says:
By the time I bought my Dx's, covers, extended warranties, I was in over $500 easily. Never regretted it for a minute.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 11:26:24 AM PDT
A. McKenzie says:
I have a First Edition Kindle to sell, how much do you think I can sell it for? It's in excellent condition!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 11:42:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2012 5:48:37 PM PDT
J. Gatie says:
Not one of the Kindle's price reduction coincides with any iPad release. Matter of fact, the price on the K2 was reduced ***3 months*** prior and ***6 months*** after the first iPad, hardly indicative of causation. In reality, the reductions had more to do with the Nook than the iPad. Sorry, but on that particular point you are delusional,

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 11:47:07 AM PDT
Mary says:
Let's see our first IBM non internet computer windows 3.1 with a true floppy drive 25yrs ago we spent $2,000 for. Bought the hard disk drive extra at I forget how much but a lot then bought dot a matrix printer on top of that for a few hundred so probably spent close to $3,000 and that was a deal from the school district where my hubby workes. All so he could make his life easier for doing grades and stuff. Me I played a lot of games on it and got my money's worth that way. Now computers are a dime a dozen, cheap and disposable, that's how technology goes. Mary

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 11:50:56 AM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
Zombie Thread Alert!

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 2:49:37 PM PDT
Mary McManus says:
Wikipedia article is wrong when it says Kindles were out of stock for 5 months after the Nov sell-out. I ordered mine December 20, 2007 and received it Jan. 25, 2008. That is hardly 5 months. And yes, it was $399.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 5:44:16 PM PDT
LadyHawke says:
Mary, I was thinking 5 months was too long. But I got in on the first wave so I was too busy playing with mine to notice the misery of others. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 5:52:53 PM PDT
Artist says:
OMG, a company that wants to make money! How dare they?????!!!!!111!!

Why do jerks think that everyone is interested in their random, stupid thoughts?

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 6:13:12 PM PDT
Victoria says:
How much did the first calculator cost? The first cell phone? The first ..... FITB.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 6:22:43 PM PDT
A. Sisk says:
Do ya'll realize that this thread was begun in OCTOBER? And hasn't been touched again until today? (I was suprised to see I had initially answered it!)

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 6:33:32 PM PDT
Artist says:
Argh! Zombie thread. I usually click on the number of new posts, so I never see the date of the OP.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 7:02:44 PM PDT
R. Wilde says:
"Why do jerks think that everyone is interested in their random, stupid thoughts?"

You should tweet that.

;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 7:12:17 PM PDT
Artist says:
I don't tweet, but I bet it would cause a lot of jerks to respond with their random, stupid thoughts.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
download from calibre on computer to kindle fire 0 16 seconds ago
download from calibre on computer to kindle fire 0 57 seconds ago
Clear furthest page for personal docs 16 2 minutes ago
April Informal Poll--What are you reading? 206 23 minutes ago
Amazon Echo 8705 24 minutes ago
Hear Ye! Hear Ye! We're Quirky And We're Not Going To Take It Anymore! 2016, You've Been Warned! So Geese And Tally Ho! 7957 25 minutes ago
Is The Old List Format Gone? 35 33 minutes ago
Latest update just bricked my Kindle PW - Amazon doesn't care 20 53 minutes ago
Need help accessing ALL notes and highlights, Kindle Voyage. 4 53 minutes ago
Youtube on Kindle Fire Hd 6 2 53 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Oct 1, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions