Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Free Books and Chat for Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 97 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 6, 2013 5:51:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2013 6:08:45 AM PDT
Welcome to Free Books and Chat for Tuesday August 6, 2013.

I knew I was forgetting something and as I woke up and didn't find the thread I remembered what.. So very sorry..
Please join us for a nice day of chat to share our lives and to post a few books.

All are welcome here, We LOVE to meet new friends so, join us.....
Business first....

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~
A good book can take you anywhere, anytime....Ann Key
~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS

AUTHORS - THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR SELF PROMOTION.

You are welcome to join us for conversation.
However, self-promotion or posting a link to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. If you're looking to promote your work, please go to the "Meet Our Authors", many of us check there as well.

.........THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES..............

šš Links To Free Book Resources šš

Dailyfreebooks:
dailyfreebooks.com

Ereaderiq:
http://ereaderiq.com/freebies/

eReaderPerks:
www.eReaderPerks.com

FreeReadFeed:
freereadfeed.com

Heidoc:
http://www.heidoc.net/amazon/subscribe.php?department=MYSTHR&sort=TITLE&newtitles=on&GO=GO

Kinlib: (has resumed operations as of July 1st)
http://us.kinlib.com/130703D/

You are strongly urged to confirm the price of the book before completing your purchase.
The price displayed on Amazon's website at the time of purchase is the price of the book.

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 5:52:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2013 6:07:45 AM PDT
If the conversation is not your thing please visit our sister thread Freebie BOOKS - Links Only - No Self Promotion...

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdMsgID=Mx3991FYFR3ZF44&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx21VD4083ZF1LD#Mx3991FYFR3ZF44

*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。

╰❈╮Link to the FB&C Group Cookbook thread:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/cooking/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx211KPGGBLHNC6&cdMsgID=Mx3TF4806AD6YTU&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxQUJZ6FYNH8VQ#Mx3TF4806AD6YTU

*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。

╰❈╮Birthday and Anniversary / Template / States - abbreviations and time zones / Slang / How To Link:

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0Bxt8Ey-AsMfIUDZUS3p0SnpqZG8/edit?usp=sharing

°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*

╰❈╮Link To Yesterday's Thread . . .

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx1URQ28B2KGNG

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 5:56:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2013 5:58:40 AM PDT

~~~~~~ WE ARE IN NEED OF NEW THREAD STARTERS ~~~~~~

Robb - Wednesday, August 7 Start Time 10pm PT
Lover of Books - Thursday, August 8 Start Time: 10:30pm PT
KayKay - Friday, August 9 start time 12:30 edt
Susan - Saturday August 10 start time 6:30am ED
Leo Little - Monday, August 12 Start time 11:00pm Sun to midnight PDT
BubbaK- Tuesday, August 13, start time 11-12:00 mon est or 7:00 am Tues
Robb - Wednesday, August 14 Start Time 10pm PT
Lover of Books - Thursday, August 15 Start Time: 10:30pm PT
Susan - Saturday August 17 start time 6:30am ED
Bubbak- Monday, August 19 start time 11-12:00 Sun EST or Mon 7:00 am
Snowlady Sandy, Tuesday, August 20, 12.00 PT
Robb - Thursday, August 22 Start Time: 10:00pm PT
Lover of Books - Friday, August 23 Start Time: 10:30pm PT
Susan - Saturday August 24 start time 6:30am ED
Snowlady Sandy-Tuesday, August 27 around 10:00-11:00 PT
Robb - Wednesday, August 28 Start Time 10pm PT
Lover of Books - Thursday, August 29 Start Time: 10:30pm PT
Susan - Saturday August 31 start time 6:30am ED

❤~~~~~~ WE ARE IN NEED OF NEW THREAD STARTERS ~~~~~~ ❤

.❤. Open Dates:

Sunday, August 11

Friday, August 16
Sunday, August 18
Wednesday, August 21
Sunday, August 25
Monday, August 26

Friday, August 30

*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. ***
Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info.

************** We'll help you through it! **************

*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. ***
Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info.
**************** We'll help you through it! ****************

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 6:03:01 AM PDT
I am so very sorry, I fell asleep watching Stargate thinking that there was something else I needed to do ..............
I was thinking that I needed to go to bed early so that I would be up for the House Doctor to come at the very early (for me anyway) hour of 9:00.......
I'm not quite a wake yet but let the day begin...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2013 6:11:44 AM PDT
Susan says:
Just glad you're ok Sandy - that's all that matters.

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 6:13:00 AM PDT
Susan says:
Uneasy Spirits: A Victorian San Francisco Mystery
In this sequel to Maids of Misfortune, it is the fall of 1879 and Annie Fuller, a young San Francisco widow, has a problem. Despite her growing financial success as the clairvoyant Madam Sibyl, Annie doesn't believe in the astrology and palmistry her clients think are the basis for her advice.

Kathleen Hennessey, Annie Fuller's young Irish maid, has a plan. When her mistress is asked to expose a fraudulent trance medium, Arabella Frampton, Kathleen is determined to assist in the investigation, just like the Pinkerton detectives she has read about in the dime novels.

Nate Dawson, up-and-coming San Francisco lawyer, has a dilemma. He wants to marry the unconventional Annie Fuller, but he doesn't feel he can reveal his true feelings until he has a way to make enough money to support her.

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 6:21:39 AM PDT
Biscay says:
Sandy, speaking as a guilty Non-starter and often as not Non-poster as well, ANY start is great and much appreciated. All that matters is to get everyone dragged over to a new day, and even what you call a no-frills start (seemed pretty frilly to me though) has accomplished that perfectly!

Glad to hear you have made a nice connection into the future job department, and hope they need someone soon (and that you don't have to slave ever again as you did before - you've needed a good holiday just to recover), happy belated birthday to Chris (what book did he choose at the shop? somehow I missed the answer to that one) and once again, many, many thanks.

Greetings to all who are about to join the new day, and happy hunting. Hope to see LOB bounding in sometime soon free of pain in the neck or elsewhere, and ready to take on the world again. Fingers definitely crossed for that one.

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 6:21:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2013 6:23:04 AM PDT
From my wish list.....

The Devil To Pay (Hennessey.)
After years of drudgery and unpaid servitude to her demanding and abusive mother, shy, reserved ADELA FARADAY is finally free. She has won a great deal of money on the lottery and with her mother now dead embarks on the trip of a lifetime, touring the southern states of America.
On her third day in Alabama she meets JONAS LANDO, a disdainful, rude and embittered hermit, haunted by the death of his wife. She is wary but intrigued by him, especially when he comes to her rescue when she is lost in the woods.
On her fourth day she herself rescues a young girl on the run from the rich and powerful but sadistic Dashiel Glissando. After several frights and near misses Adela finally manages to get the girl out of the country and thinking that is the end of her adventures continues with her tour not knowing that the enraged Glissando has discovered her part in the girl's escape. He enlists the help of a hitman, STERLING HENNESSEY, with instructions to extract any information about Desdemona's---Glissando calls all his employees by names of character's in Shakespeare's plays---whereabouts then kill her. Hennessey tracks her to her next port of call, Mississippi, and there befriends her hoping to illicit information the easy way before he does what he's been paid to do.
But Hennessey, the world weary, dispassionate, cold hearted killer is not prepared for the feelings she engenders in him. Feelings of respect, protectiveness, and affection.
But he's torn between the five million dollars Glissando has promised him, a personal oath he himself has made and his affection for Adela.
Then something happens that causes him to act quickly and he kidnaps Adela, but she escapes and seeks refuge in the home of Jonas Lando. But it's not long before Glissando's men come calling and Adela has to decide who to trust, the troubled and tormented Jonas Lando. Sterling Hennessey, the man who taught her what it was like to be a woman yet is a ruthless, cold blooded killer. Or Ellis Leyton the detective, undecided whether she is Hennessey's accomplice or his victim.

An abused, desperate runaway. A naïve but stout hearted tourist. A ruthless, determined killer. An embittered, jaded ex cop. All cross paths in this story of trust and betrayal, truth and deceit, revenge and love.

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 6:28:09 AM PDT
A couple of you have asked what book Chris picked out for his birthday..
NOT FREE NOW,,,,Kitty in the Underworld (Kitty Norville),,,,NOT FREE NOW.
He really likes Jim Butcher, Carrie Vaughn.. This one was just released last week..

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 6:34:02 AM PDT
I love Christmas stories...
Let it Snow!
A Holiday collection of short stories that will warm your heart. Six different authors, and a selection of holiday tales that will make you smile.

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 6:34:46 AM PDT
Better get dressed before he gets here... I'll be back later..

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 6:45:57 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
The Murder of Susan Reed (The Val & Kit Mystery Series) by Patricia Obermeier Neuman
This is No. 2 in The Val & Kit Mystery Series. When Kit suspects Larry of having an affair with one of his employees, Susan Reed, she enlists Val's help in uncovering the truth. The morning after a little stalking expedition by the lifelong friends, Val reads in the newspaper that Susan Reed was found shot to death in her apartment the night before, right around the time Kit was so certain Larry and Susan were together. Were they having an affair? And did Larry murder her? The police, in the form of dishy Detective Dennis Culotta, conduct the investigation into Susan's murder, hampered at times by Val and Kit's insistent attempts to discover whether Larry is guilty of infidelity and/or murder. As the investigation heats up, so does Val's relationship with Detective Culotta. Val and Kit and their shenanigans can also be found in No. 1 and No. 3 in The Val & Kit Mystery Series, THE DISAPPEARANCE OF MAVIS WOODSTOCK and DEATH IN DOOR COUNTY.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2013 6:48:37 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
@ Sandy
So glad that you had a good sleep and woke refreshed enough to start the thread for today.
Hope that the doctors visit goes well and that you are healthy ♥

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 6:49:33 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
@ LoB
Nice one over on LO - hope you are feeling better today - please take care and rest enough ♥

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2013 6:52:10 AM PDT
Biscay, I would like to ditto your post. I'm also guilty of being a non starter and I greatly appreciate any start, they are all great to me.

Sandy, good luck with getting a new job, thanks for the great start, hope Chris had a Happy Birthday, and most importantly hope your ankle is healed.

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 6:58:38 AM PDT
Susan says:
THE BRIDGE TO CARACAS (THE KING TRILOGY)
THE BRIDGE TO CARACAS is Volume one of THE KING TRILOGY, an epic story, spanning four tumultuous decades, of an inconvenient fortune and its catastrophic affect on a loving family.

Stephen Douglass's knowledge of the Oil and Gas Industry is woven into a plot similar to John Grisham's tales of lawyers, judges, and the law. Both are terrific at storytelling at a brisk pace coming with a knowledgeable background. You will be educated as to the Oil and Gas Industry, especially the dark side of money making, and entertained by a romantic, engaging action story. This book belongs in a class with "Unbroken", "Lost in Shangri-La", "In the Garden of the Beasts", and other five star books that I have enjoyed this summer. (5 star review)

Jim Servito shatters the hopes and aspirations of star-crossed lovers, Mike King and Karen Taylor, while simultaneously engineering a grand theft ranking as one of the largest and most audacious in Canadian and U.S. history. Cynical and remorselessly ruthless, he possesses a brilliant criminal mind, has enormous contempt for the law, police, governments, and the system in which they function. He assumes rules are for fools, and takes sadistic pleasure in breaking them. Using The Peace Bridge as his fulcrum, he steals $325,000,000 from the U.S. and Canadian governments, steals enormous quantities of gasoline by illegally installing valves in Golden National's Buffalo refinery, then murders everyone who can implicate him.

The setting is storybook perfect. The beautiful daughter of wealthy parents meets the handsome son of middle class parents. The two fall in love and assume they will marry and live happily ever after. History would prove their assumption wrong. Cruel twists of fate and the wrath of Jim Servito combine to prescribe a horrible nightmare for the two lovers, one that grows in intensity and ultimately leads them to prison, then a life and death confrontation with Servito in Caracas.

Karen Taylor, tired of life in private school for girls, the endless doting of her wealthy parents, and the monotony of constant female company, wants out, to experience the real world, preferably on her own. Her priorities lead her to an endless love affair with Mike King, but his marriage to another woman leads her to a disastrous marriage to Jim Servito.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2013 7:01:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2013 7:02:18 AM PDT
Biscay says:
But Elizabeth the Sweetest Honeybee, even if it were necessary to do so, you make up for the lack of starting in SO many other ways :)

Did you have a nice visit with your sister? I think you said you were seeing each other yesterday - or maybe today...

Edited - I'm nipping off now so have a good day either way, and a good day/night to all :D

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 7:02:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2013 7:03:23 AM PDT
Elizabeth, I think Chris had a pretty good day.. Didn't have to work, and spent the day on the computer, reading and watching Stargate SG1...

I do think my ankle is getting better but it has a way to go before "healed" is the word to describe it..
How are things on your home front?

My mom told the joke about God being missing at church last night..

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 7:05:47 AM PDT
Good morning all :) Thank you for the start Sandy!

From my watchlist:
The Silver Yoke (Valediction For Revenge) - Roland Cheek - Action/Adventure(?)
THE TAINTED TRUST (THE KING TRILOGY) - Stephen Douglass - Historical Fiction
Romancing the Danger (Loren's Romantic Thrillers) - DK Loren - Crime/Mystery/Thriller
KERRI'S WAR (THE KING TRILOGY) - Stephen Douglass - Historical Fiction

Other picks this morning:
SCREENSHOT - John Darrin - Crime/Mystery/Thriller
Following Bliss (The Quest series) - Heather Strang - Romance
10 Minutes Past Too Late - Anika Malone - Romance
Champion in the Darkness (The Champion Trilogy) - Tyrean Martinson - Religious Fiction
Key to Love - Judy Ann Davis - Romance
Relic - Roy Hudson - Contemporary Fiction

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 7:09:34 AM PDT
He's here!!!!

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 7:15:42 AM PDT
Overtime says:
Greetings;

Snowlady Sandy Shops
What a terrific start to the day.
Good luck with your job hunt.

Biscay,
Loved your meltdown yesterday. I am betting that the rooms are clean but everyone was fed.

Out the door and on my way home.

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 7:29:45 AM PDT
Lyn says:
This Day In History: On this day in 1911, comedian, actress, and model Lucille Ball was born in New York. Ball starred in the hit television show, I Love Lucy, and became one of the most loveable comedians in the 1950's.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2013 7:50:11 AM PDT
Biscay, thanks for the compliment,(hanging my head)

My sister should be here any minute now, looking forward to her visit.

Have a great night, enjoy your children, children are the best.

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 7:51:58 AM PDT
A real goodie today (sorry if someone else already posted it)

Farm Girl Country Cooking: Hearty Meals for the Active Family

Although preparing regular family meals can be difficult, it is worth every effort. Dinner provides an opportunity to gather and refresh while spending time together around the table enjoying a meal.

The author has collected and tested the book's 100 recipes of main dishes, sides and desserts from years of experience cooking for a large family. Whether you're feeding a family on a budget or need ideas on menu planning, this cookbook is the perfect companion for the busy, working cook.

Hearty home-cooking using basic ingredients, plenty of fresh vegetables (and don't forget the bacon) you will return to these recipes again and again when planning dinners for your family or entertaining for company.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2013 7:57:12 AM PDT
I remember reading that the other day and was going to put it in the open but I hadn't prepared and then fell asleep, then forgot..

So, What is your favorite Lucy moment?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  97
Initial post:  Aug 6, 2013
Latest post:  Aug 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions