Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle running VERY slowly

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 50 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 30, 2012 3:43:57 PM PDT
B. Bills says:
My Kindle has been responding very slowly, sometimes not at all. I just got it last Christmas, so I feel like it shouldn't be doing this already...any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 3:45:22 PM PDT
Loz says:
Do you have a lot of books on there? I used to have about 1200 on my device and it was really slow. I now only about around 200 (the rest are in archives) and it's running much better.

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 3:49:35 PM PDT
Hold the power button in for 30 seconds to do a system reboot and see if that helps.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 1:06:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2012 1:08:07 PM PDT
Kindle Fire too SLOW
My K Fire also responds slowly & sometimes just freezes. I've rebooted & no help there. And I don't have a unreasonable amount of books either. Can anyone help? PLEASE

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 1:13:48 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 1, 2012 1:15:05 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 1:57:56 PM PDT
I replied in your other thread - http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdThread=Tx2ATLRMTX8R34T

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 12:49:12 AM PST
My problem is the same as Bill Lazzara's problem - my kindle e-reader (latest version) is running very slowly and is at times unresponsive to commands including the power switch. It lags about 30 seconds on average to all commands but I just bought it 3 weeks ago and I only have 8 or 9 books on it, most of them just book samples. According to all the promos I was fed I'm supposed to be able to store a small library on this thing but it turns out that this comes at a cost if it comes at all. The most important quality of any device is in its ability to perform its main function. Before all the showy features and propaganda this device is supposed to be a reliable way of storing literature and reading stored literature. That is its main function and I see it fails at that function. It's like having a toaster that does everything but toast bread. One can hardly boast about the other features. I am a graduate student and I almost made the mistake of placing important personal documents on my kindle e-reader. How is amazon going to fix this problem ?

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 1:02:03 AM PST
bookfan says:
I recently started having the same problem with my K2, but I assumed it's because I have too many books in it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 5:32:06 AM PST
Oliver, check the time on your Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 4:06:13 PM PST
Hi someone here advised a "hard" reset. Hold the on/off button & count (or time it) to 30- then push button & when it comes back on all set! At least it worked for me. Hope it helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 4:08:33 PM PST
Also I only had to do it that once!

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 7:33:17 AM PST
why is my kindle fire hd running so slow ? I've only had it a couple of weeks an have about 6 books and 4 apps so it's not like I have loads of memory taken ? please can anyone help

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 7:42:21 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
See Bill's advice above your post.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 7:53:16 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
This happens with all tablets from time to time. Just do as Bill (2 posts up from yours) suggests.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 7:46:56 AM PST
Did the re-boot as you suggested. It worked!

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 12:45:06 AM PDT
GJV1 says:
My kindle fire hd was running really slow so I did the reboot thing recommended by others (holding the turn off button for 30 seconds then releasing it) and also cleared all my history. It's running like new.
Thanks everyone :)

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 12:20:03 PM PDT
EJK says:
I'm having this same problem. I do have quite a lot of books , and I have some apps for my 5yr old daughter too. Could this be causing the problem? Also does anyone know how to delete more then one book at a time off your Kindle? I've been trying to down size the amount if books I have on there but doing it one by one takes so long...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2013 12:25:11 PM PDT
CBRetriever says:
just one at a time and the culprit isn't usually the books unless they're audio books, but rather the apps, videos and cached data from apps and the web browser

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 4:52:32 AM PDT
Thank you, this technique solved the problem. My kindle fire is working like new once again.

Posted on Jul 6, 2013 10:33:30 PM PDT
S. K. T says:
I had the same problem. After several unfruitful hard resets, I found a great piece of advice that solved the problem. Install Calibre ebook management (a great, free, cross-platform little piece of software; google it at it should pop right up), and then install the "Kindle collection manager" plugin (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118635). Just for the functionality Calibre provides, it's already worth installing (transfer books to and from your Kindle, convert amongst several formats [pdf > mobi/azw3 being particularly useful], edit book metadata, edit Kindle collections via your PC, which is MUCH more comfortable than via the Kindle...). This is not propaganda for Calibre, beyond the fact that it provided a solution to a problem amazon has failed to address, and moreover, is a great little tool, a must-have, I'd dare say, for any ebook owner (give it a shot and you'll end up wondering how you managed without it).

But back to the point: Once you've installed both Calibre AND the kindle collection manager plugin (instructions provide in the link included further up), there's a handy little option called "View report of Kindle collections and books". When you click on it, it will do exactly that, and within the report, you'll find a nifty little problem-solving section in which it points out problematic books on your Kindle.

In my case, there were a few books with incomplete header info (or so the plugin says), so I deleted them from my Kindle and transfered them again. Another common issue, which I discovered my Kindle was suffering from as well, was the presence of duplicated books: A couple books were present twice on the Kindle (God knows why, as they were transfered exclusively via amazon's whispernet, and no other way). Apparently, the Kindle can't cope with this, as they both have the same title and serial number, and this baffles and stresses the poor little device out to no end, causing it to dedicate all its attention to trying to figure out what to do about it, in a fruitless loop that hogs all its processing power and causes the ridiculous delays mentioned in this forum (plus runs the battery down at at least double the normal rate), which, in more than one occasion, made me want to throw my kindle out the window. In my case, removing the problematic books and then hard-reseting solved the problem at once (I'd previously hard-reset it at least 10 times, to no avail). Thought I'd share, just for the sake of anyone else out there who, like I was until just yesterday, is about to pull his/her hair out, wondering why hard resets appear to work for so many people, yet not for them. Hope it helps!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2013 6:03:51 AM PDT
Wow thanks S. K. T. I was about ready to throw my kendle fire away. My battery was only lasting the most part of one day and running so figgity. It kept hanging up one me. I would have to keep resetting it constantly. I tried finding the programzs you mentioned but could not find calibre for kindle. At any rate I looked to see if I had any duplicate books and did not but I did have two facebook apps so I deleted one of them and BANG new kendle again. Everything is back to normal.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2013 6:09:46 AM PDT
Robert, Calibre runs on your computer - not your Fire.

Posted on Aug 13, 2013 9:34:50 PM PDT
Brian Pierce says:
I deleted all the items that were in the documents folder and re-downloaded the books I wanted to read. The Kindle is now running as if it were new.

Posted on Sep 2, 2013 8:54:30 AM PDT
I'm downloading a app currently and its going really slow, it's been downloading since yesterday afternoon and is only on 42% downloaded. and recently I learned my speakers went out so their Not working. can this be apart of the issue to why my kindle is downloading slow?? What can I do??

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2013 9:05:12 AM PDT
Dittie says:
I doubt the two things are related. Contact Kindle customer service by clicking the blue Help link near the top center of this page, then the yellow Contact Us button on the right. Choose any contact option except e-mail.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  43
Total posts:  50
Initial post:  Jul 30, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 19, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions