Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Problems with KK after 3.4 update

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 66 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 20, 2012 2:16:44 AM PDT
arcana73 says:
Has anyone else had problems with their kindle after the 3.4 update? Mine constantly freezes or restarts. And after I contacted support their answer was to buy a new one. Is this some kind of scam for people to buy new kindles? I remember Apple had an issue where the update to iOS bricked people's phones and thier response was to buy new phones. Hope Amazon isn't playing the same game.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 2:20:33 AM PDT
Kessa says:
My KK is just fine after getting the update.

Sometimes, the timing is just coincidental. =)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 2:22:15 AM PDT
JES says:
My kindle keyboard is fine after the 3.4 update.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 2:36:53 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
have you tried a reboot?

it fixes a lot of things (fully charged, unplugged, hold power on for 30 seconds)

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 2:45:07 AM PDT
Both mine are fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 4:56:17 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
No problems with mine after the update. Still works great.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 4:57:19 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Are you by chance using the Amazon non-lighted cover that attaches to the side of the Kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 5:00:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 20, 2012 5:01:00 AM PDT
Dog Lover says:
JJ - Just a heads up. That cover issue doesn't happen with new orders of that cover. I bought one for my newest KK and CS assured me that the problem was only with those old cover offerings.

so

Richard Godzik, if you ARE using that cover and you DID recently purchase it, I'd really like to hear if this issue is ever found to be related to the cover.

BTW - neither of my KKs have had any issues since being updated to 3.4

DL

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 6:58:06 AM PDT
JustMe says:
Richard -
Mine got trashed by the update too. It was days before I could get it to even let me see my books. Rebooting, bringing up the search when I tried to turn the page etc. Thought it finally recovered (haven't used it lately), but dug it out only to find that it still has problems! As it worked just fine before, i wished they didn't force updates on us! I'm a firm believer in 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it!'.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 7:03:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 20, 2012 7:03:59 AM PDT
Dog Lover says:
Because this seems to be an issue reported fairly frequently but certainly not universally, I'm curious:

1) How do the issues break-down between those who had the devices auto-updated and those who manually updated the devices: and
2) With either method, I'm curious about whether or not there was an issue with the download itself - perhaps not "completely" finished (system issue) or if the users prematurely used the device and interrupted the installation step.

Sorry- once spent years doing SW maintenance so I'm always "curious" about these things.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 7:25:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 20, 2012 7:29:10 AM PDT
JustMe says:
Not sure about others, but mine auto-updated. As it was just when I'd settled down for some relaxing read time, I was pretty annoyed that they chose that particular moment to 'insist' my KK needed updating. (At least Windows ASKS.) BEYOND annoyed that it spent the rest of the day TOTALLY messed up. I had thought that it eventually recovered ... but sadly see it hasn't. : ( I do wish we had a choice on updates, especially when they are updating things we may not consider 'broken'.

2) I may well have 'interrupted' the update as Amazon didn't notify me that they were planning to do so, so I was unsure why my book 'went away' and tried repeatedly to 'get it back'. It did seem to finally complete, but for a long time it kept going back to the downloading screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 7:40:53 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
I have had no problems with my update.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 7:55:11 AM PDT
The 3.4 update has slowed the response time on my KK. It still works fine but I have noticed that navigating between the Home page and books takes a lot longer now.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 7:59:16 AM PDT
JustMe says:
Though I don't imagine it will solve anything, I'm glad I came across this post and turned on my KK to check. The sleep screen was a FREE Nora Roberts audible book I never would have seen otherwise. As I can't access the menu to see if there is anything else good (they were pretty boring for awhile so I stoppped looking) I was glad it made the 'front page'.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 8:36:20 AM PDT
arcana73 says:
I have had the cover without the light and the cover with light since I bought my kindle 2 years ago. It worked fine with them until this update. I also thought, hey it might be the cases, so I stopped using them for the week. However the issues still occur. The dumb thing freezes up all the time or suddenly reboots itself. I have done the reset and it still occurs. I also transferred all of my content to my laptop, did a factory reset with no content, and still the issue occured before I transfered my content back to the kindle. I had no issues with my kindle until this update and Amazon's response it for me to buy a new one. I just think the timing between my kindle deciding it needs to be replace and the update happening is suspect.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 8:46:53 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
I have also been a software developer for many years. It does seem rather curious. I wonder why it is a problem for some and not for others. Also, curious that a reset to factory defaults doesn't solve the problem. Hopefully enough calls will be made to send up flags to Amazon to fix the problem.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 10:04:15 AM PDT
KathyL says:
Mine auto-updated and works better now. It used to freeze up for a period of time when I highlighted text, but it doesn't do that any more. I'm a student and have some of my required books on my KK and do a lot of highlighting so it was a real issue for me.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 10:26:29 PM PDT
I did the update manually. It seemed to go well, but it started acting up almost immediately -- slow response, freezing, spontaneous rebooting.

I did have several hundred books on it, but I'd never had any problems before the update. I finally used the PC/USB cord brute force method to delete all the books. After I disconnected it, I deleted all but one collection and downloaded about a dozen books.

I haven't had any problems since then but, now that I have the PW, the K3 is relegated to backup and emergency 3G internet use anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 10:55:41 PM PDT
arcana73 says:
Oh wise one, what is this PC/USB cord bruce force method you speak of?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 1:28:59 AM PDT
My kindle was auto updated.Turned it on to buy a book and it said it was
updating.Didn't take long for the update to complete.My kindle hasn't slowed down at all.Text is crisp.Working great.I have about 700 books on it.Feel bad for any who have problems.Was concerned about the update
because my kindle is my life line.Do to bad vision it is my best friend.

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 1:49:30 AM PDT
I did my update manually too (and as I said, I haven't had any trouble on either of mine). So it appears it's not consistent with the method of updating.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 1:55:56 AM PDT
That would be - connect via USB to PC, open up the kindle documents sub-folder, highlight the book files in there and delete them all.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 1:59:29 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
and unfortunately that does not really free up all the space the space is still allocated according to the file allocation table on the kindle because the operating system was not involved in removing them - people have had problems freeing up space in that method and have usually had to resort to resetting their kindles to factory settings in order to free up space - it's a big problem if you do that with audio books

the kindle does not know those files are removed

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 2:16:08 AM PDT
I wondered about that, CBRetriever! I've never done it; just had someone else mention it a few weeks back.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 2:21:53 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
it's especially a problem with audio books on the Kindle Fire - I've seen quite a few people complaining that they took all their item off their Fires, but the still don't have any free space
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  66
Initial post:  Oct 20, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 26, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions