Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

What does the Kindle Fire HD lock screen look like after you opt out of the ads for $15?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 50 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 19, 2012 1:42:39 PM PDT
Sudley says:
I'm debating opting out of the ads for the Kindle Fire HD. Does anyone know what the lock screen looks like after the ads are removed?

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 7:34:37 PM PDT
i paid the money yesterday, the payment went through today, but i am still seeing the same ads. very upset!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 7:40:14 PM PDT
 Ann says:
Did you turn on your wireless and sync (Settings->Sync)? If so, it may just take a day or two for the change to propagate. If it doesn't update soon, contact support to get it straightened out.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 8:07:13 PM PDT
Me in MN says:
@Sudley...I also opted out and the screen pictures are the same ones that are on the first generation Kindle Fire....pencils, typewriter keys, etc.

@GrinandBearIt...When I opted out I received a message stating that as soon as $15 payment cleared the ads would be removed. Mine were gone within 5 minutes or so, after syncing ad described by Ann above.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 12:49:38 AM PDT
jpot says:
http://f.cl.ly/items/0q2M0B051g1v3J1i463P/wallpapers.png Those are the wallpapers that appear after you opt out.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 5:03:22 AM PDT
Sudley says:
I think it's stupid that we have to pay $15 to remove the ads from the lock screen but I paid anyways. I am getting irritated with the 'Customers Also Bought' ads that show up. I think removing those should be a part of the $15 fee. Well, the ads shouldn't be there in the first place. They should keep those type of Ads on the website and remove them from the Kindle. That's probably the one big thing I miss about my original Kindle Fire.

I also posted this same question in the 'Kindle Help Forum' and here is what someone suggested to do if you want Amazon to hear what you have to say:

If you want to be certain that someone from Amazon hears your feedback, please send an email to kindle-feedback@amazon.com or kindle-fire-feedback@amazon.com if you have a Fire - we are mainly Kindle owners here, not from Amazon. Amazon people do not always come into the forums.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2012 12:35:43 AM PDT
But...when using Android devices, don't we often get inundated with suggestions? Its not a big deal to me.

Happy owner of the new iPad
Google Nexus 7
And the aforementioned Kindle Fire HD
LG Connect Smartphone
A couple of iPods
Two very satisfying laptops

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 5:31:09 AM PDT
Sudley says:
Robin: That's great that ads don't bother you, that's your opinion.

Also, we are talking about the Kindle Fire HD, not your other electronics. I don't see the point of listing everything you own.

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 5:58:57 AM PDT
I chose to list some of my collection so that it is clear that i was not just being pro-Amazon, not being said that I'm a fangirl of one OS over another.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2012 6:06:30 AM PDT
SeaLevel274 says:
"I think it's stupid that we have to pay $15 to remove the ads from the lock screen but I paid anyways."

But if they raised the price of the device by $15 so that you didn't have to pay that much to remove them, the people that want or don't mind them would be paying $15 more than they have to now. This way there is a choice.

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 7:20:28 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
<sigh> I weep for the state of education in a country where arithmetic is apparently a challenge. Yes, Amazon could have sold the KFHD without ads for $214 and given everyone who wanted ads a $15 credit to receive them. And that would be better? Different?

Yes, I know. That's not what is being requested. As with so many areas of life in America many folks want what they want and don't want to pay for it.

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 7:29:34 AM PDT
Patti says:
How do you opt out of the ads? They are annoying but I guess to keep the Kindle Fire at such a good price that is why but I don't want the ads. I want out..how do I do that?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2012 7:33:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 22, 2012 7:34:24 AM PDT
Go to manage your devices on the http://amazon.com/myk page.
Next to the device you will see special offers subscribed and an option to un subscribe.
Click and you are done. When a good deal is mentioned just go back in and toggle subscribe back on to get it. No further charges are made.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2012 9:47:59 AM PDT
Craig says:
Keep in mind that you are not opting out of every ad - the ads or special offers addressed by the $15 fee are on the lock screen and on the bottom line of the home screen. 3rd party apps that are ad-supported will continue to display ads.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 7:41:40 PM PST
Da Bean says:
I paid my $15 but the ads are still there. Does anyone know how to remove the ads once you paid your $15?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 7:53:39 PM PST
Reboot the device.

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 1:34:11 PM PST
I have always supported Amazon & loved most everything I've bought from them. I purchased the KF last yr. when it was offered for presale. I also have the Nook Tablet and an iPad(two actually-1st gen & 4th gen). I have always favored my KF for reading. So I pre-ordered the new KFHD 8.9" and received it early. I was excited till I saw the home screen w/ the forced ads. I see now that I have two choices or three actually, to rid myself of these unwanted ads: I can pay them $15, I can root my device (which of course will void the warranty), or I can return it. I'm choosing to, though I am very disappointed at having to do this, return this KFHD. I realize some may not be bothered by the ads and some who are, will be willing to pay $15 to have the ads removed. But I just don't see why I should pay a dime even, to have ads removed from a product I paid good money (32G was $403 for me), hard earned money. The new Surface from Microsoft is a little more than $100 more and it's not going to tack on a dime more to have ads removed. Even the Apple iPad hasn't been this cheesy! And the new Nook HD costs $269. Granted, this is only 16 G's but it has the ability to add an SD card. And absolutely no ads when you turn it on. Sorry, Amazon, but you have lost this customer for your new KFHD. I refuse to pay one cent to get the ads removed. When Amazon cuts this crap out I'll reconsider buying one. Till then, I will just continue to use my old KF (imagine, only a yr since purchase & I'm calling it "old") ... Ad free!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 1:50:23 PM PST
mdholm says:
You can turn off the "customers also bought" alerts on the device; you don't have to pay to do it.

Settings--->applications--->amazon home recommendations, then select "hide".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 5:06:47 PM PST
You're looking at it backwards ;)

You didn't pay the full price for your Fire. You chose to get the ad-supported version so you got a discount. You don't need to pay "extra" to get rid of the ads; you just need to pay the difference between the discounted model and the full-price model.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 5:59:23 PM PST
Da Bean says:
Various images...checkers, chess pieces, old typeset pieces, . It's different every time you turn on your Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 6:01:26 PM PST
Da Bean says:
When your Kindle is on, hold down your power key for about 20 seconds until it reboots.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 6:02:34 PM PST
Da Bean says:
When your Kindle is on, hold down your power key for about 20 seconds until it reboots.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 6:30:23 PM PST
@Da Bean: No need to reboot - just sync the device to the account.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 8:20:10 PM PST
A bunch of non-changeable close up, almost abstract, photos of tapes and pencils and stuff that I got tired of seeing after about a month. I wish I could get a $15 credit to have ads on my original KF (if they changed on a regular basis). lol

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 8:32:32 PM PST
Da Bean says:
If syncing doesn't work, rebooting the way I posted, will work. Thank you!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  50
Initial post:  Sep 19, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions