Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Should i buy an used kindle off of ebay?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 3, 2010 6:48:31 AM PDT
Hi everyone! I've been checking out the kindle for a long time now and really, really want one. What I'm wondering though is if it's smart to buy a used older version on say ebay or somewhere like that? Or am I better off going for the newer version?

Anyone care to enlighten me on the differences? Thanks in advance for your help!

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 6:51:41 AM PDT
ALAN says:
How old is the old one? What model and price?

I would worry about a stolen one that would have limited use for you. But if it is genuine and a good deal, and you know it works and does not need repair, then I could see it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2010 6:55:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2010 6:55:41 AM PDT
ShirleyKat says:
I think you may find that you can pay anywhere from "almost as much" to "more" for a used Kindle. You get no warranty that way and there were recently a lot of Kindles for sale that had obviously been stolen. Those could not be registered with Amazon.

I think most of us would say to go with a new Kindle and get your 1-year warranty (or longer if you want to extend it). It's not worth it to try to save a few bucks by buying used. Remember that Amazon ships them for free.

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 7:03:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2010 7:06:20 AM PDT
ALAN says:
I agree with SKat unless you really know the seller (like a next door neighbor who got it as a gift and just does not like it). There are just too many little risks in getting it auction. I certainly do buy accessories off that site, cheap. You can get a nice cover or sleeve for 9 bucks shipped. If you bought a new Kindle for 259, and a cover for 10 bucks from the auction site, and got free shipping, and loaded it with free books (incl today ten of the A Series of Unfortunate Events books, plus Gross's The Dark Tide and Marr;s Wicked Lovely), you could save enough that you would feel great about not getting it used.

Edited to add: if you live in a town/place with limited AT&T and yet great Sprint, and do not travel a lot abroad, then maybe a used one made before 10-18-09 would be right for you, just because it is Sprint. But even then there are lots of places in the US with poor AT&T cell coverage but fine Kindle coverage.

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 7:12:08 AM PDT
I bought a used Kindle off ebay over a year ago. Make sure it is de-registered or whatever. As far as the warrenty- you can get one for a couple years for just a few bucks with Square Trade. I saved over 100 bucks on my Kindle and have used Square Trade for other things and that works great too. So, I would say go for it if you can save 75 or more. Just my opinion. No point in doing it that way for a few bucks though - for awhile there was not much of a discount on E-bay- even for used ones - same with the Bose quiet comfort phones- but be vigilent and you can still find some bargains on E-bay.

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 7:23:49 AM PDT
Ben says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 7:29:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2010 7:32:17 AM PDT
ALAN says:
Well, I am pretty sure you cannot add a ST warranty for accident coverage to a used device. And to me the best thing about my ST warranty is the peace of mind next to some kid with a coke in their hands. I think that is a fairly big deal since you are buying it used and not knowing what someone did with this unit before. If they squeezed the screen too hard and it falls under a "accident" then you could not buy a warranty for it. But I suppose stuff like that would happen right away and you would know it at delivery...

edited to say "a accident" just to show solidarity with others and to defy The Man.

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 8:16:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2010 3:37:41 PM PDT
If it comes with all it's accessories, it's probably not stolen - and sure, if you can save some money buy it on EBay. I'd stay clear of bare Kindles without the power cord - they could be stolen or one the owner lost.

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 8:20:16 AM PDT
ALAN says:
Merkin must feel like I am going around disagreeing with her, and I do not mean to be, but I think if it has accessories like a cover it may well be stolen, and that the telltale sign of a stolen one is no original power cord. And I do not think the lack of a full warranty is a minor deal worth a few bucks of savings. And I wanted the global model, not a US-only one. So I would not buy this unless there is a huge discount, and then i would worry it is stolen and therefore pretty useless.

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 1:24:56 PM PDT
You need to be careful on this. Pay only with Paypal so you can get your money back, and ask for the serial number. Call CS at 1-866-321-8851 in the US and ask if they will tell you if this serial number has been reported stolen. I don't know if they will do that, however.

If the seller refuses to give you the serial number, I would be wary. And if you get a story about how it didn't get scanned as it left the factory and can't be registered (someone bought one this way), you should run in the other direction.

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 1:45:42 PM PDT
**Meya** says:
Personally, because of the nature of this product, I wouldn't buy one on eBay.

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 2:00:17 PM PDT
D. Figueroa says:
All transactions paid with PayPal are covered and PayPal does stand behind the guarantee. I've both sold and bought on Ebay for years and have never lost a dime becuause of an item that isn't as described. PayPal backs the buyer 99.99999% of the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2010 2:09:54 PM PDT
**Meya** says:
Yes, PayPal does cover transactions. But it takes time. I know someone from an eBay type board, she recently had to file with PP because of a bad item. She filed on March 18th and it was just now resolved. Her item was under $20.

Most of us wouldn't want to have $200 or so tied up for so long while PP sorted out the details.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2010 2:11:33 PM PDT
Gee, two weeks sounds darned responsive to me!

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 3:34:50 PM PDT
I bought my Kindle from a Craigslist add. It was a gift that the receiving person did not end up liking. It was just like new. I was able to meet the owner and she was able to give me lots of valuable information. I felt very comfortable with the situation. She deregistered before I left and we then reregistered it in my name. I would be careful, but would buy used again. One that I was looking at said they had the complete set of Harry Potter books already downloaded. Figured since the Harry Potter books aren't available it was a scam. Ask lots of questions and look at Feedback and be patient. I have had my Kindle since the end of August and love it. Good luck :o)

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 7:56:00 PM PDT
Amy L. says:
I though about buying from Ebay before I bought my new one. There is even a thread around here about it. All the ebay auctiioins for kindles has tons of bids on them and will probably go for close to the new price. IF you can swing it, Id get new (which I did) I was trying to save myself some money, but I posted the link I was looking at and was told that it was one on the sprint network so thereforee not one of the global ones. Im very comfortable buying and selling with ebay. If you do get one on ebay, ask tons of questions before you bid or buy.

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 8:25:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2010 8:28:02 PM PDT
medi says:
As long as you take a few but very important precautions I think buying a used Kindle off Ebay is not only safe but can save you a lot of money. First you must check out the feedback of the seller to make sure he has a solid reputation. Safer to go with seller who have sold at least 50 previous items(power sellers are even better). As others have mentioned always pay with Pay-pal as I have never known anyone to be denied re-imbursement if the seller mis-represented his item.

As far as the Kindle is concerned many used kindles contain pre-bought books loaded into the kindle and if you had to pay for each of these books the prices of the books alone would justify the cost of the Kindle (provided these are not just public domain books which are free). I would only buy a Kindle that has a pre-existing squaretrade warranty or a service net warranty that has not yet expired. If the Kindle is damaged you would get re-imbursed for the price of the Kindle (Squaretrade) or could get a replacement (service net). As long as there is a warranty from a reputable company you can't go wrong. If the kindle does not have an extended warranty I would not buy it, as it cannot be purchased after the fact.

Lastly, if you follow the Kindle discussion forum as I do you may have seen numerous posts concerning stolen kindles. With the notable exception where one post stated that Amazon de-activated a kindle that was included in a presumed stolen shipment of Kindles from a warehouse, Amazon as a policy does not de-activate stolen kindles. Therefore moral issues aside, even if the Kindle sold off Ebay is stolen it still should work.

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 8:45:44 PM PDT
TessaD says:
If your hesitant about buying one off eBay try this site:

http://www.usedebookreader.com/

A friend of mine bought her kindle2 from here for under 200.00 and loves it...

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 9:01:18 PM PDT
I sold mine on eBay, simply to move from K1 to K2. I like to think that I'm a trustworthy person.

The vast majority of eBay sellers are equally trustworthy, please don't assume that the majority are trying to shift dodgy goods.

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 9:19:44 PM PDT
krystalspin says:
Just to nit-pick, medi, you *can* buy a SquareTrade warranty (one or two years) on a used K2 bought on eBay (I just did) -- but they do not sell Accidental Damage Coverage on a used item. Electrical/mechanical faults are covered thru Whichever is later: 1(2) years from purchase of ST - or ...from the expiration of the manufacturer warranty.
~ks~

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 11:28:30 PM PDT
luvshihtzu says:
Try checking over on Kindleboards.com in their Buy, Sell, and Trade. I have purchased and sold several items and always buy from a member who has made a lot of postings. Quite a few Kindles for sale recently.
I would recommend MobileReads except that one member who purchased a Sony 505 from Germany, lost his Paypal $250 + payment. Paypal hasn't been of any help to him.

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 11:30:57 PM PDT
I buy a lot of things off eBay, but I'm really hesitant to buy any electronics. I would especially not buy a Kindle after the last person, here on the board, had a terrible experience with one that could not be registered at all. I'd rather spend the extra money and buy one new from Amazon and get the extended warranty too.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2010 11:45:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2010 11:45:55 PM PDT
D. Figueroa says:
I've purchased several used and new laptops, televisions, heck, I even bought a new refrigerator and stove. I've purchased items up to $2k (the limit of PayPal's coverage). I have received some items that weren't as described, but never on really major purchases. Since I've probably bought 3,000 items on Ebay, having had to make about 10 claims in the last 8 years isn't bad. If memory serves, none of them were electronics. All told, with sales and purchases, I've completed about 30k transactions on Ebay. I've had 2 silly claims made by buyers, but for the most part, considering the volume of items I buy, my experiences have been great overall.

I do tend to avoid dealers from China and any seller who has a lot of negative feedback, but I'm not afraid to buy from fairly new sellers. I've gotten most of my best deals from newer sellers because they get fewer bids and their items generally sell for less.

Yes, it makes sense to read the feedback, but only when looking for negative selling history. Most new sellers or occasional sellers are fine and if they're not, I can manage to wait a couple of weeks for my money if necessary.

The only drawback can be if an item is heavy and has to be returned, the return postage isn't covered. About half of my claims were for items that never arrived. Those are easier. If the seller hasn't shipped in 7 days, you can make a claim and if they don't respond with a tracking #, PP refunds, no problem.

Amazon makes it a LOT tougher on customers buying from 3rd party sellers. When I have a choice, I'll always buy from Ebay first when I'm not dealing with Amazon or Amazon fulfillment.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2010 1:02:45 AM PDT
OMG you guys I just realized that I wrote "AN used Kindle instead of A". I feel extra dumb now because I saw someone correcting me in a post but I didn't realize I was the one who had written it that way and I was sitting here looking for who wrote it that way in their reply. Duh, it was me!!! I promise you all I know how to use "an" and "a" it was just a typing error!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2010 4:17:15 AM PDT
If you can get one for say $50 on eBay I might buy it but I wouldnt pay more than that
for a used one. You just dont know what you are gonna get,I would see if there are
any factory reconditioned ones on Amazon that you might get for a little less,at least
they have been checked out & retested by the manufacturer so they should be ok
plus they will have a warranty.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Oasis first impressions 385 4 minutes ago
Hear Ye! Hear Ye! We're Quirky And We're Not Going To Take It Anymore! 2016, You've Been Warned! So Geese And Tally Ho! 8125 8 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The Answers Are Blowing In The Wind 1207 12 minutes ago
Ten Rules for Avoiding The Self Published Slush Pile 129 12 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 6514 15 minutes ago
cant buy books off my i phone 19 21 minutes ago
Fire and Calibre 52 37 minutes ago
85° and Sunny - A Perfect Day to RAOK! 4840 51 minutes ago
Amazon Force-Feeding Update Notifications 4 52 minutes ago
Al's Place 36 Degrees of Separation 1955 56 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Apr 3, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions