Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Librry Loan not wirelessly delivered

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 26, 2012 6:03:39 PM PDT
Mark says:
I haven't borrowed a Kindle book form the library for a few months. I got on the waiting list of Atlas Shrugged. when It became avaible, i wnet through the steps as I always have. however, this time, the book was not delivered via wireless. My devices were Kindle grayed out. Instead, only a "Download to your computer" selection was available.

I downloaded to my computer and now I have to transfer via USB to my Kindle.

Is this a new amazon policy?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 6:04:45 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
No, this is something that some of the publishers have enacted. Unless you are talking about downloading with 3G.

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 6:05:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2012 6:06:07 PM PDT
Bixillarla says:
No it is not Amazon policy, some publishers require USB transfer for library books.

I have downloaded 3 library books this month over WiFi with no problems. Just depends on the publisher and if they allow it.

Also you cannot download any library books over 3G. It has to be WiFi or USB transfer.

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 6:19:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2012 6:20:32 PM PDT
Mark says:
Thanks for the kind reply and information.:) Appreciate it.:)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 6:21:42 PM PDT
CLS10 says:
Atlas Shrugged is a Penguin book and Penguin requires USB delivery for kindle books.

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 6:43:31 PM PDT
Mark says:
Does USB delivery have some advantage (or disadvantage) over wireless delivery?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 6:45:34 PM PDT
CLS10 says:
The only difference is that it's slightly less convenient.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 6:50:23 PM PDT
Bixillarla says:
The only difference is having to physically hook the Kindle to your computer to transfer the book so it is less convinient than WiFI delivery.

There are no advantages but some publishers don't like wireless transfer.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 6:55:04 PM PDT
Perry says:
One advantage is that your Kindle gets charged when connected via USB. Another is that you can leave your wi-fi off all of the time which also helps battery life. That's the best that I can come up with ;)

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 6:32:45 AM PDT
Mary McManus says:
Penguin is trying to make life as difficult as possible for e-book readers, and especially library patrons. Now they are only providing new Penguin titles to 2 libraries via a pilot program which is not Overdrive. Older Penguin titles remain on Overdrive but need to be downloaded via your computer. Perhaps Penguin thinks someone will steal the book as it goes flying through the air.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 6:36:30 AM PDT
Mark says:
I'm assuming then, since it's a downloaded file, there's a timed check-out? After the check-out period, the file locks you out?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 7:07:24 AM PDT
Yes, but the same is true for any library ebooks... whether transferred via USB or wifi. Unlike library audiobooks which can still be used past their library expiration date, ebooks will no longer be accessible past their expiry when the wireless is turned on the device.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 10:24:33 AM PST
Why is it that 3G cannot be used?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 10:28:13 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Because Amazon has to pay for the data usage.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 9:58:30 AM PST
Mark says:
I just discovered something...I renewed "Atlas Shrugged" and did not have to transfer via USB the second time around. I simply went into the archive folder and Amazon and Kindle took care of the rest. I guess it merely gave me a new loan ID, sent a message to my kindle and the file was accessible once more. The book file sat on my Kindle awaiting for a new key to reopen it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Oct 26, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions