Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 3:04:20 AM PST
thabet says:
i have kindle Paperwhite ,and i love it
but it dosn't support Arabic
Idont know why ?
Amazon have development team
Are they incapable of this thing?
Is ELINK open source?
If so, then maybe I display to the developers!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 4:28:30 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
More than likely it will be added when they release it for international shipping. Only Amazon knows what they will be doing.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 5:14:49 AM PST
JustMe says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 5:16:46 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
Thabet, very few countries where Arabic is used allow free sale of electronic content, so Amazon chose not to do business there. As the result, Hebrew is not supported, either - too small market to justify development of right-to-left script support.

Even if such restrictions were lifted, it would be a chicken and egg situation: content is needed to justify additional software development, and it will not appear until Arabic is supported.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 5:19:18 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
right now Amazon cannot sell kindles or kindle countries to most, if not all, countries that are Arabic speaking, so it's likely not at the top of their list of languages to support

and the greeks are clamoring for greek language support, the dutch for dutch support and the chinese for chinese, so arabic support is just another in the list they need to work on

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 5:25:23 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
Greek (script, not language) has been supported at last from K2, but that's because it is often used in texts using Latin script.

They even support ČčĆćĐ𩹮ž, not to mention ç :o))

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 2:04:32 AM PST
thabet says:
Jazzy_Jeff Kringle- But is only software, I think it is not difficult for them to support!
JustMe-I hope that
Dragi Raos-I agree with you, but why do not they do for profit from the device before the books?
CBRetriever-This is my question There are no developers they have?
thank you all for your time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 2:21:04 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
I have no idea - the Pros are volunteers and don't work for Amazon

my guess is that they're working on languages in terms of number of potential customers and until their product is legally allowed into the Arabic speaking countries, that number is kinda low (I'm really surprised that Egypt and Lebanon don't allow it and that some stores in Abu Dhabi are selling the kindle even the UAE doesn't allow kindle content)

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 1:37:56 PM PST
thabet says:
thank you all for Support
Finally, I found a way to display books in Arabic!
1-Convert the file to Word
2-Then use the send to kindle in the desktop
3-Is directly converts to AZW3

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 1:39:38 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 25, 2013 3:49:37 AM PDT
Mabulrub says:
I have been wondering the same for a long time... I agree there aren't many arabic books on a digital format, and the kindle is hardly known "or any ebook reader" In Jordan "where I live"...

but yet this does not justify the fact that it does not support arabic.. I have looked around in the internet and it was really easy to be able to read arabic content on my kindle by just adding the font into the fonts directory on my kindle...

If Amazon is not going to add a full support of Arabic language they can make software changes to support main features "lets say reading and writing"..

If Amazon did not start this how would we expect Arabic contents to start flowing in the market?

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2013 5:35:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2013 5:35:52 AM PDT
Paxton says:
thabet - this is interesting. Once you send this to Kindle, does it handle right-to-left text ok with page turns, font-size changes etc? I would think it wouldn't handle that properly, thinking it to be left-to-right text.

Does Word have an option to change the direction of text when you enter it? Actually, I suppose there is an Arabic version of that software. Microsoft wouldn't need a country's authority for software to create content, but I can see Amazon might have a different problem where they would want to display content wirelessly to others.

Another question to others - what government laws or authority are needed to be satisfied for selling kindle content in a country?

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2013 5:55:55 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
I'll try to tackle the last part: Right now, because Amazon does not sell kindles to Arabic speaking countries (as well as North Korea, China, Russia, Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia), most publishers probably aren't too interested in producing ebooks for those countries. Russia and China are different in that China has a Kindle Store, but no kindles, and Russians can buy kindle content.

Then there are the censorship issues: books shipped into the country can be examined and confiscated if banned, but there's no way of doing that for e-books. Some of the most restrictive countries, from what I understand, require books to get governmental approval to be sold in their country - and in those countries, there's usually only one ebook available (translation of the Koran or commentaries on it). It's easy to get around this by smuggling books in.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2013 7:23:10 PM PDT
mohd says:
You can find how to read arabic on kindle on kindle4ar

Posted on Jun 11, 2013 7:31:35 PM PDT
What the heck is ELINK?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2013 8:28:35 PM PDT
PS56k says:
- Mabulrub says:
I have looked around in the internet and it was really easy to be able to read arabic content on my kindle by just adding the font into the fonts directory on my kindle...
------
could you be more specific -
which Kindle,
and what you did exactly to be able to read arabic content ?

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 12:12:41 PM PST
Mohammed says:
To Add Arabic:
http://www.tech-wd.com/wd/2013/02/01/arabic-kindle-paperwhite/

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2014 12:59:41 AM PST
Isra says:
Transferring it in PDF format will fix this problem although it won't be as good as in kindle format.

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 7:38:17 AM PST
Anj says:
I was hoping to purchase an Arabic language book on my paperwhite. Alas, after hours of trawling through lists of available books, inclusive of customer reviews, I was gutted to discover that the Arabic script on Kindle isnt scalable, thus rendering it impossible to read! Does anyone know a way round this?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2014 8:38:42 AM PDT
Dragi, thanks for the valuable feedback and i intend to disagree. I would like to drag your attention to Appple: they had the same concept then they support Arabic Language at the end of the Road.

The Web it is open World; the concept of filtering the inputs is no more Valid from my humble perception.

Cheers,

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2014 9:19:25 AM PDT
Well... since he replied back in Dec 2012 .... I am not sure if Arabic is supported at this point but do know that that area of the world is not an area where kindles are currently able to be sold.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2014 9:58:30 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
nor kindle content so, i would presume it's not high on Amazon's list of priorities to develop a way to scale and read Arabic script when they have been unable to get permission to sell books to Arabic speaking countries

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2014 11:18:10 AM PDT
I like that he did note that the web is open world.... it is open to MOST of the world. In some parts of the world the governments have blocked MANY sites so it isn't that "open" .... China and Turkey both have Twitter blocked (and probably numerous other sites)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2014 12:23:24 PM PDT
CBRetriever says:
at least China is now allowing kindles and kindle books, though it is a rather closed store (can't migrate out of that store once you migrate there from what I understand)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2014 12:38:04 PM PDT
"...can't migrate out ... once you migrate there..."

Like several unfortunate choices in tourist destinations.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Dec 15, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions