Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

is there a kindle that anyone would recommend for a 2 yo?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 48 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 11, 2013 4:34:01 PM PDT
sis hawk says:
I am looking to get a kindle fire for my 2 yo. her siblings have fire's but and not sure if there would be any benefit to getting her a HD?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 4:36:01 PM PDT
Hey, might as well go all out.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 4:38:16 PM PDT
IMO, I think even 5 is a little young for a Kindle, just because it's a fragile device. Have you looked at any of the pads or tablet devices geared towards young children?

if you are set on getting the HD model, get an otterbox case.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 4:50:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2013 4:51:30 PM PDT
The Artist says:
I wouldn't recommend any Kindle other than a Fire, unless the 2 year old likes to read a lot of black and white books.

I also think that 2 years old is too young for a Fire. Look at devices like Leap Frog.

Edited for clarity.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 4:59:07 PM PDT
This would be suitable. Fuhu NABI NABI2-NV7A 7-Inch Tablet

I would also get this. SquareTrade 2-Year Tablet Accident Protection Plan ($150-200)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 5:20:13 PM PDT
We bought a Kindle Fire for our then 2 year old grandson, he is now 3. He loves it and has had it for about 8 months now and no problems. We have from the start made him sit and use it, not carry it around. He streams in Mickey Mouse and other episodes of his favorite cartoons, and also plays a lot of learning games on it. It was a very good purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 5:22:16 PM PDT
Just Peachy says:
Why the HD over the plain Kindle Fire? I can't imagine a 2 year old can tell the difference in picture quality.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 5:26:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2013 5:27:14 PM PDT
I would spend the extra $40 on the 16GB Fire HD. More storage space to download videos for car trips, and more room for apps and games.

Also, it can be connected to a TV....

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 6:25:23 PM PDT
You also need to understand that if the device is broken by being dropped, submerged, sat on, etc., it is not covered by the warranty, so you would be well advised to get the extended warranty that does cover some mishaps.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 8:44:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2013 8:48:14 PM PDT
Get the kindle fire hd if you intend to use it as well but be prepared to have it taken away. My wife and I have the 8.9 hd, my 1 year and 10 month old has the regular fire. She loves it. She also loves the 8.9 and loves to take it away if she sees any of us using it. ***Get "Kindle Free Time*** It has a monthly subscription(cheaper if you are prime member which you should also be) and it is awesome. It gives you access to a huge library of videos, books, interactive books, games all age appropriate. If you get her kindle fire, any strong silicone case works fine. I got one for $10 and works fine since the kindle fire is actually more durable than the fire hd. My daughter loves to hear music on it, watch barney, have us read books to her or have the books read themselves to her. She knows how to unlock the screen and power it on and off, amazing! It really is a life saver at our home. But she will try to take whatever kindle we are using so her own is definitely money well spent. Let me know of any other questions you might have. Good previous post about storage space. The more storage, the more you can store video to keep them occupied during long trips. We just did 3 hours and the kindle was used the whole time. Stored videos and music was key.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 8:57:14 PM PDT
Just to clarify - Kindle Free Time is a parental control app available on all the newer Fire models and is free. FreeTime Unlimited is a content subscription service that can be used in conjunction with Kindle Free Time, but is not necessary to be able to use the app.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 9:19:00 PM PDT
Nice job kindle forum pro!

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 1:10:22 AM PDT
Can anyone recommend a Kindle for a 93-year old father with dementia who has forgotten how to read?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 1:54:32 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
I'd suggest an MP3 player and audio books - of course you'd have to do all the shopping for them and turn the thing on for him...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 2:06:42 AM PDT
I was fairly sure that Patrick's question was purely a sarcastic take-off of "suggest a kindle for a category of people I don't think should have one".

But for someone with dementia - a single kindle short on perpetual loop would be fine, wouldn't it? :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 2:08:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2013 2:08:50 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
I know - I was just playing along

and that's a brilliant idea, but maybe War and Peace in case he has flashes of sanity...

ETA: better yet, Finnegan's Wake

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 3:45:19 AM PDT
LOL. You've been peeking into the Aussie thread, haven't you!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 4:30:53 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
no, I'm just experiencing brain meltdown from the gay threads

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 5:39:19 AM PDT
Finnegan's Wake is our "naughty corner" reading. It's not like "go and sit in the corner" on its own is really a punishment when you have a kindle with you :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 5:51:53 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
I have to admit that book defeated me - Ulysses I enjoyed, but Finnegan's Wake was incomprehsible to me

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 6:58:47 AM PDT
Prin says:
I know I will be taken down for my thoughts but will say them anyway. What about toys that use the imagination..lincoln logs, cars and trucks and maybe a rug that has the city on it. Doll's with beds and highchairs and strollers. Anything so the child can develop the imagination. I hate that toys now "do" something instead of the child making them "do" what they want and be what they want them to be. In my opinion, 2 is too young. My neighbor's just turned 3 has the Fire and all she does is sit and look. Just don't think this is the way to go.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 6:59:43 AM PDT
J. Gatie says:
I agree.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 7:03:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2013 7:05:29 AM PDT
Ditto.

I don't think there's any reason a 2 yo, or a 5 yo, or even a 7 yo needs a tablet. I gave my son an e-ink Kindle when he was 8, and he has use of my Fire in the car or while stuck in waiting rooms or whatnot.

But you're right. A 2 yo should have My Little Pony and Duplos and PlayDoh and a MagnaDoodle. Actually, so should the 5 yo and the 7 yo.

ETA: I don't mean that to sound like 8 is the magic number. It's not. My kid has to give up the Fire when we come in the house. He can play Wii; we're not cave-dwellers. But he'd sit and stare if I let him keep the Fire.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 7:09:05 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
Like any toy, it needs to have limits put on it. I saw my 3 year old great nephew interacting with a smart phone. My sister says he also likes the iPad. Many of the apps are interactive and educational. The adults in his life interact with him while he's on the iPad. They watch TV with him and talk about what is on. He also has a large collection of paper books, cars, and toy tools. They don't use the electronics as baby sitters but as other ways to learn about the world.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 7:17:21 AM PDT
Your right in a way. The kindle does not occupy all the time, just around 15% of the time. Time enough to get some things done around the house. The rest are spent with physical toys and imagination time. I'm with you, wish could go back to a time where it was all imganitation time.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 Dec 15, 2014
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Super Hero Sisters, Panama, Many Furry Friends, Featuring Fat Jane the Spanx Wearing Goat, and Cherie! It's the Apocalypse! 2571 24 minutes ago
Free Books & Chat - Friday, Jan. 30, 2015 25 28 minutes ago
January 2015 Informal Poll--What are you reading now? 541 30 minutes ago
Al's Place 35mm 6003 32 minutes ago
Reset Parental Control Password 314 41 minutes ago
RAoK 79/80 - Tis the Season, and the end of the year! 9689 49 minutes ago
Buying Kindle books from abroad 16 1 hour ago
paperwhite kindle is super delayed when you swipe it 10 1 hour ago
Are we witnessing a secret Kindle Voyage recall? 536 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  48
Initial post:  Mar 11, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions