Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Battery Life on a Kindle Fire HDX

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 12, 2014 9:41:44 AM PST
Wayne Thomas says:
I received a Kindle Fire HDX (which I love) for Christmas. The only thing I have a problem with is the fact that after reading a couple of hours a day for a couple days, I have to charge the battery. My average reading time is approximately 2-1/2 to 3 hours. What can I do to increase the length of battery time between charges?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2014 9:48:19 AM PST
Mike says:
A tablet is not going to have anywhere near the battery life of an ereader. What I suggest that you do is plug it in every night for recharge. Whatever you do, don't let the battery run down.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2014 10:08:22 AM PST
❤ Ann says:
Turning your wireless off when not needed, and turning the screen brightness down a bit will help with battery life. Otherwise, Fires are tablets and will usually need to be charged every day or two.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2014 6:41:17 PM PST
I have a Kindle Fire and battery life is a huge problem! Last summer we were in Europe and charging was difficult because of the different current. The other problem was that the charge didn't even last for the entire plane trip to or from.

I just finished reading a book that was estimated to take 8 hours to read. I got the 15% battery left warning at 6 1/2 hours.

I've tried dimming the screen, but that hasn't made a difference.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2014 6:42:23 PM PST
How do I turn the wireless off?

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 3:31:19 AM PST
If you have to charge after a few hours of reading, you have a defective unit. On standard use, you should get 9 to 11 hours, and more than 15 hours if only reading.

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 7:13:02 AM PST
M42 says:
None of these "tips" make a difference. I've even installed a task manager and battery optimizer and it hasn't helped one bit. My battery life isn't horrible, but mediocre and given the claims Amazon makes about battery life I expected better. Hint: I owned the original Kindle Fire and the HDX is worse.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2014 9:31:24 AM PST
Wayne Thomas says:
I have also owned the original Kindle Fire, the Kindle Fire HD and now the Fire HDX. Both of the other two Fires had much better battery life than the HDX. I am very unhappy to have upgraded to the HDX and received this kind of product from Amazon. It seems they need to do an upgrade to the operating system or something to fix this problem.

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 6:41:27 AM PST
I agree - I have at 25% decrease in battery life between HD and HDX. It's annoying.

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 6:56:14 AM PST
So, basically, there's not much I can do about my Kindle Fire? Get a new battery? It sounds like that hasn't been a successful problem-solver either. It was a gift and I've had it over a year, so I don't imagine there's anything to be done about this Kindle (even if it's defective, which it may be). Does anyone know how I can turn off the WiFi? I basically use it as a reader

Shall I go back to my original old fashioned Kindle when we travel? Friends tell me that they get 50+ hours on their original Kindles. I haven't actually tested mine for length of charge.

thanks everyone!
p.s. I wonder if the Amazon people read these discussions. If so, they're getting an ear full about a relatively serious problem for Kindle Fire users.

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 9:56:41 PM PST
I think that I've found part of the problem with my decreased battery life on my hdx. Every time I connect to the internet, there are a bunch of apps, which I have not opened myself, that will run processes in the background on their own. When I'm not using wifi, I go to my running applications list and shut down (force stop) all of these apps. It's really annoying, and I'm trying to figure out a way to better control apps so that they don't start processes on their own. However when I do this consistently, I get much closer to the advertised battery life than when I don't do this. Has anyone figured out a way to keep unwanted apps from running in the background?

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 9:32:22 AM PST
JoelJ says:
I too am very disappointed in my new HDXs battery life. I upgraded from a Fire HD and the HD had MUCH better battery life. The HD had no battery drain when not in use, and would work for a few days with a lot of reading and moderate app use before needing a charge. The HDX will not last 24 hours with moderate use, and the battery drains about 15-20% every 24 hours even with 0 use and while in sleep mode. I called Amazon, and they told me to shut off WiFi when not using, and kill applications with 3rd party app kill software. I didn't have to do any of this with my old Fire HD, so why do I have to with the "improved battery" of the HDX? BTW I downloaded an app kill app from the app store. It kills open apps but, after a few seconds all the apps start back up again and are once again running in the background. Amazon says that if the problem continues they will download a log use for my HDX and have their techs review it. It annoys me they try to act like there is no problem with the battery and it is my fault for not turning off the WiFi etc.. I would've liked to return it and continue using my old HD, but I sold it to help pay for the HDX. I still will return it anyway. Undecided whether I will get another HDX to see if the battery was defective or get a different tablet. As a longtime Amazon user and Prime member I must say I am very unhappy with the HDX.

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 10:20:14 AM PST
Wayne Thomas says:
I doubt that returning your HDX and ordering another one will help any. From reading the postings about this problem, it seems Amazon would offer an upgrade to the OS for everyone to download. Like you, I am very disappointed in the HDX.

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 8:53:55 AM PST
JoelJ says:
I have decided to return my 7" HDX 16GB due to excessive drain while in sleep mode. Furthermore, it will no longer charge to 100%. It will charge as high as 97% (I have tried a hard reset and other troubleshooting). My issues don't seem to be as bad as some others, but I still don't want a "slightly defective battery". I decided to try one more HDX to see if the first was defective. If the battery problems remain, I will move on. I have already ordered a new one- this time I ordered the 32GB. I chose to order a new one, rather than do an exchange, because if you exchange, you will get a refubished model (Probably one that was returned for the same reason). Please note that if you do want to return or exchange yours, you don't have to keep talking to customer service until they offer an exchange. Just go to your orders, find the item and you will have an option to return or exchange that item. I only mention that because it seems like Amazon customer service is somewhat resistant to offer an exchange to some people. I will follow up when I receive my new HDX 32GB and let everyone know how the battery compares to the first HDX. I should get it tomorrow as I sprang for next day air shipping.

Posted on Feb 24, 2014 8:59:30 PM PST
Mom of One says:
I seem to have the same problem as everybody else. I sporadically use my HDX and every time I turn around: dead battery! I own the original Kindle and that thing can go for DAYS without needing a recharge. I'm very familiar with tablets, having owned several different brands since I bought the first iPad. This is the first time I've seen such a challenge with battery life.

I agree with JoelJ. Back it goes and I'll buy another one.

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 9:36:44 AM PDT
Same problem, my Kindle fire hdx 64 gb battery drains even when not in use...while my iPad does not. I love the kindle hdx...but I am very disappointed with its battery life. I was hoping to read a solution to this problem in this forum, but apparently there is not :(

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 7:17:32 PM PDT
music mouse says:
my kindle, not only has a short battery life, but the battery gets discharged even when not in use. anyone knows why?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2014 11:29:47 AM PDT
Ron Urbanski says:
Buy an I pad

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2014 7:29:23 PM PDT
Agreed, I thought I was the only one. I got the hdx 64gb and I can only use it a few hours before needing to recharge. When I made the decision to return it, I was 2 days past the return window. This unit must be defective. What to do?

Posted on May 15, 2014 2:52:48 PM PDT
My Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" will LOSE charge if I am using it AND it is plugged into a charge that is a cell phone charger. Tech support says this is fine. How can the device use so much power that I can watch it go down while it is plugged in. I know that the cell charger is only 5W and the tablet needs a 6W to charge faster but please! The battery will die overnight even if I am not using it and it is turned off. There is a power/battery issue and it tarnishes an otherwise fine device.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 4:28:32 PM PDT
George says:
My HDX 8.9 maybe loses 1 to 2% overnight and my reading time is in excess of 9 hours. I leave the wifi on at all times. I do however use an app called Android Assistant which I set up to turn off anything running in the background automatically every hour. The charger for the HDX 8.9 should be 9W and a charger that is 5W or less will probably not keep up with the power drain when it is on.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 4:43:20 PM PDT
OpenThe ...: Check the charge power on that charger - how many watts? It is easy for a Fire or any tablet to use more than the charger can supply - if the wattage needed by the Fire is greater than the wattage supplied by the charger.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2014 8:40:53 PM PDT
I agree that the battery life on the Kindle Fire HDX (KF HDX) is very poor. If you're only using your KF HDX for reading books, I would recommend using the Kindle Touch. This is what I do and I get almost a full week of battery life on it, and I read A LOT. Amazon states the Kindle Touch will give you 60 days on one charge, but they base this on one half hour of reading per day, which most book lovers will exceed easily. But like I said, I still get a week on one charge with reading at least 2 hours per day. So use your e-reader for books and your tablet for everything else. There is nothing more frustrating than getting to a really great part in a book and suddenly losing power with no access to a power outlet. Also, if you suffer from headaches at all, the backlit KF HDX will exacerbate them. Additionally, although it's priced very reasonably, buying a KF HDX for reading only seems like a waste of money when you can purchase the Kindle Touch for around $100. And it also has a 3G model (which still has WiFi) for very little extra cost without the need for any cell phone company cost... it's totally free. So you can shop for and download books virtually anywhere you have cell phone reception, for free.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2014 8:50:37 PM PDT
You can turn off the WiFi by swiping down from the top, click on settings, click on wireless and turn airplane mode on. Also, on the same screen just below airplane mode, click on WiFi and it gives you the option to turn off the WiFi completely. But if you use this option, you must re-enter your WiFi password/code to turn it back on. So unless you have it memorized to reactivate the WiFi, you probably shouldn't use this option.

Posted on Jun 3, 2014 9:04:56 PM PDT
If you re-charge the battery on the Kindle Fire HDX before it is completely drained, will this shorten the overall battery life the way it does on a cell phone?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Jan 12, 2014
Latest post:  Sep 26, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions