Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD 8.9": screen "blinks" black at random

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 20, 2013 2:07:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 6:35:54 PM PST
Jennifer says:
I don't really know how else to describe what my KF HD is doing. But i'm hoping someone may know what the heck I'm talking about.

My brand new tablet's screen goes black for maybe a second or two and then pops right back on to whatever I may be doing, whether it's playing a game or even reading a book. It doesn't freeze or anything (at least not yet) At first i though the cause was some of the apps I downloaded from the Kindle Store, but when it did it while reading a book, I questioned that angle.

I have a couple theories, but since I can't seem to duplicate the problem when I actually TRY, I don't know if they are good or not.

1. Sometimes I rest the tablet on end with the power button slightly exposed from it's case. Perhaps the button is being slightly pressed and therefore the screen goes black briefly? I try to switch the tablet so the buttons are on the top, but some apps wont flip orientation and are upside down.

2. Could I be slightly moving the tablet so it thinks I'm going to switch orientation? I know it's really sensitive, but usually when I inadvertantlu change orientation, the screen doesnt really go black, it switches instantly.

3. I have the KF HD in a rooCase - it puts the tablet to sleep when closed, is there a sensor I could be accidentally covering up and causing the black screen?

If there is anyone out there that could belp me figure this out, I would be soooo very grateful! customer support was really of no help - he had never heard of this issue. Right now it's an annoyance, but I'm concerned this is a sign of something inherently wrong with this tablet. This is my first tablet so I don't know if this is "normal" in larger screened tablets.

I did try the shut down thingy where you hold the button til after the popup asks you if you want to shut down. I have no idea if this really helped since occurrence is so sporadic.

Thanks for any help!

ADDED NOTE: Perhaps 'flickers" might be a better description......

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 5:17:41 PM PST
Jennifer says:
Anyone out there who can help?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 10:59:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 10:59:51 PM PST
Jennifer - Try rebooting it. If that doesn't resolve your issue, contact customer support.

TO REBOOT YOUR KINDLE FIRE:
Make sure it's fully charged. Unplug the Fire.
Hold the power button in for a full 30 seconds (count them).
Press the power button again to turn it back on.
The "kindle fire" screen will appear for a couple of minutes while it's coming back on.

TO CONTACT KINDLE CUSTOMER SERVICE:
Click on this link and fill in the information. https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/kindle-help.html
You may have to sign in. I would use the PHONE or CHAT options.
Do NOT use e-Mail.
CALL ME under the PHONE tab is great if available.
They will call you within minutes.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 6:36:58 PM PST
J. Miller says:
Jennifer, same thing is happening with mine. It clears out any data I've typed or resets any video I'm watching. I can't watch anything on netflix for longer than a minute. So frustrating. Were you able to resolve the problem?

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 6:45:20 PM PST
I am having problems with mine too. I have freezing and just now it blacked out and had to reboot but it acted like it didn't want to. And while I was touring this my typing screen changed. Smaller letters with large space in between. Do you think they are updating.

Posted on May 27, 2013 11:42:51 AM PDT
D. Yurcik says:
Having the same issue - Kindle Fire 8.9 is NOT very old - less than a year. Just goes black and will no do anything until I re-boot per the above info..

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2013 1:29:09 PM PDT
Mike says:
Maybe you should talk with Kindle customer service, especially since its still within the guarantee period.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2013 2:15:44 PM PDT
Carbonbased says:
In answer to #1, it sounds like you're holding it with the power button on the bottom--I believe this to be upside down, based on the power button location on the Amazon case, and how the logo is displayed upon rebooting. Upside down isn't a problem in most functions, but some apps are fussy and only display one direction.

In answer to #3, yes there is a magnet in the case that puts the screen to sleep when closed. I have had some narcolepsy episodes with mine (in the Amazon case) when the front cover is folded back and I lay the Kindle on a metal surface. There's a sweet spot about an inch in from the power cord plug.

Try using it outside the case and see if it still flickers.

To do a reboot, hold the power button in for 20 seconds, pay no attention to the screen prompt.
Release the button for ten seconds then press and release and it will reboot. This cures tons of quirky problems. It's also possible it's trying to update its operating system. The latest is 8.3.1. To see what your version is, from Home, swipe down, press 'More' Select 'Device' then 'About' and it shows which System Version it's running.

About the rotation--the gyro is a little touchy, but I don't see any flicker when mine switches.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2013 2:13:20 PM PDT
Mines do it too and i need help also

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2013 9:35:21 PM PDT
L. Blum says:
I was having the same flickering, then going black problem. I rebooted and it seems to be OK now. But I'll keep an eye on it and call customer support if it happens again. Thanks for all the help.

Posted on Aug 3, 2013 8:28:26 AM PDT
I am having the same issue. I have tried all the trouble shooting that is mentioned in this forum and then some from customer support. Customer support sent me a new Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and I am still having the same issue. I have a case but it doesn't have an auto off feature. Just got the new one yesterday. As a Electronic Engineer that does coding and trouble shooting computers for the Air force I believe the issue is with software. Something to do with the timeout or orientation sensor code. Amazon can't push an update fast enough before I tell them to keep there device and get my money back.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2013 1:40:20 PM PDT
brenda says:
I also have this problem (kf HD 8.9), but it only seems to happen when I am scrolling. It just blinks off and on, hasn't gotten "stuck". I've rebooted many times. I have the rooCase. I have the orientation locked, so it isn't trying to flip. After reading some of the comments about the magnet in the case, I took the case off and eventually the problem happened without it. Amazon sent me a new kindle, which I have had about three weeks. The problem still happens. I've had the HD 8.9 about six months. If it doesn't get any worse I'll can live with it, but it would be nice to know what's causing it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.4
14 10 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 2 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update 5.4.5
42 1 day ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
FREE Books and Chat: Wednesday, July 30th & Thursday, July 31, 2014 161 17 seconds ago
SwagBucks Thread 2040 47 seconds ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 3803 55 seconds ago
raok 77 - a glimpse of heaven? 9486 21 minutes ago
want to cancel the kindle unlimited before they start charging me 43 29 minutes ago
Free Books & Chat - Friday August 1, 2014 10 32 minutes ago
Turning off Parental Controls 45 35 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Feb 20, 2013
Latest post:  Sep 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions