Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Can I add audio (Whispersync) to books I have already purchased?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2013 10:53:36 AM PST
skybirdsmom says:
I just read about Whispersync so I can listen or read Kindle books. I have a paperwhite; can I add this to books I have already purchased?

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 10:57:58 AM PST
With a paperwhite, no. Paperwhites have no audio capabilities. Fires, Kindle Keyboards, and Kindle Touch are the only kindles with that capability.

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 11:01:54 AM PST
M. Thomas says:
You can get the whispersync books and audible books, but you will only be able to read the book on the paperwhite. But your status will update to your other kindle devices that are capable of listening to audioboks or has the kindle app for the ebooks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2013 11:09:28 AM PST
You would have to purchase both the audible and Kindle books that are linked. It is not something you can add. As BratKat said, the Paperwhite does not have any audible capabilities, but you could use another device (smart phone, etc) for the audible version and then read on your Paperwhite.

All the Whispersync does is allow you to sync between two devices so the book starts at the same spot that you left off on the other device. When you are through listening/reading, you have to sync your device so that Amazon's servers know where you left off. Before you open the book on the other device, you have to sync again so the info can be downloaded from Amazon's servers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2013 12:09:16 PM PST
skybirdsmom - Go to the book's product page. In the box that tells you that you can get the companion Audible book, click on the words "professional narration". That will take you to Audible where you can buy it. If you don't have an Audible account just set one up using the same email/password that you use on Amazon and your accounts will be linked. Then follow the check out process. When you're finished the Audible book will be in your account on Amazon's servers.

On the Paperwhite, you'd need to listen to the Audible book on another device such as a Kindle with audio capabilities, another device with the Audible app downloaded onto it or an MP3 player.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2013 12:51:03 PM PST
 Ann says:
Yes, you can. You'll just need to use a different device to listen to the Audible books, since the Paperwhite doesn't have audio capabilities. I use the Audible app on my smartphone.

Go here for more information - http://smile.amazon.com/wsv.

Click the "Check your audio companions" link on that page to find the Audible books that go with your previous purchases.

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 5:59:02 AM PST
I saw that it was only $4 to add whisper ready to a book I already purchased so I went to buy it. When I got to the site it said it was basically as buying the book again. Shouldn't it be cheaper if you already purchased the book? Or do you really have to buy the book twice?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2015 6:13:08 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 6, 2015 12:55:56 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2015 9:43:30 AM PST
No, I'm saying they offered it for $4 and now it's the same price as the book. I know that if you purchase just an audio book from audible you are looking at between $20-$30. If you've already paid for a book there should just be an upgrade fee for making it whispersync. Not the full cost of the book again.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2015 11:14:35 AM PST
They must have removed the special lower price. Not all Whispersync for Voice books have a super low discounted price. I place books like that in my wish list and check them periodically for price drops.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2015 11:35:21 AM PST
loriltx says:
"If you've already paid for a book there should just be an upgrade fee for making it whispersync." That's just plain ridiculous. The book is one item, the audible book is a separate item. All they did with whispersync is make it so the audible version can sync with the e-ink version. Why would you think you should be able to get the audible book for free?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2015 11:37:44 AM PST
King Al says:
+1. Also, there would be no incentive for anyone to join Audible if they did that.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2015 11:55:01 AM PST
 nospin  says:
Which book?
It could be a glitch.

Are your accounts synced?

What happens when you try to buy it from Amazon site?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2015 12:04:23 PM PST
loriltx says:
Nospin--her complaint is that she has to pay $4 for the audio version of the book when she has already paid for the e-ink version. See her second post.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2015 12:14:14 PM PST
Snoozy says:
As someone already asked, are your accounts connected? If not, you need to connect them to get the whispersync price. I have bought a bunch of audiobooks for ebooks I already owned, at the whispersync price. Before whispersync, I paid more for my audiobooks (mostly on sale, and I have a membership, but still...) and it didn't bother me.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2015 12:22:48 PM PST
 nospin  says:
I don't think she fully understands how the integration of Amazon and Audible works.

She certainly didn't phrase her question optimally

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2015 12:28:21 PM PST
 nospin  says:
Your e-books that have an available Audible component are on this page

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/audible/matchmaker?ie=UTF8&ref_=wfv_store_mm_link&

The option to just click Upgrade button under title will be there if your accounts are linked correctly

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2015 6:30:33 AM PST
False. My complaint was that the price for the whispersync addition to an already purchased book was $4 and when I went to purchase the addition it came up as the same price as the book. So you are paying $20 for the ebook and $20 for the whispersync for the same book.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2015 6:33:00 AM PST
I do understand. I realize they are 2 separate companies and they you to pay separate for each item. Maybe you're right and I didn't phrase the comment properly.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2015 7:37:47 AM PST
loriltx says:
Sorry. Misunderstood your post.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2015 7:52:35 AM PST
kajola says:
Would you please post a link to the book so we can look at it?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2015 8:01:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2015 8:02:53 AM PST
loriltx says:
I have purchased these audible editions numerous times (usually months after I have purchased the book) and it always comes up with the reduced price. When you went to buy the Audible narration, did you do so by clicking the link on the e-book's product page that says "add narration for a reduced price"? That should take you to the audible version page which then gives you the option of buying with 1-click or buying with an audible credit if you one. Of course, not all of the "reduced prices" are great "reduced" prices. I have received some as low as $3.99. Others have been as high as $12.99, but it always gives you the "reduced price" on the e-book's product page.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2015 8:13:05 AM PST
That's not normal. Something is not working properly. Either for you or for the site. There's not enough information to know where the error is occurring.

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 8:13:23 AM PST
loriltx says:
Sarah Ann: I just realized something else and I'm wondering if this may be the source of the confusion. If you choose the "MP3CD, Audiobook, MP3 Audio, Unabridged" from the "Formats" section on the book's product page, it takes you to an audible screen of the books and at the top lists other formats including the "Kindle" format (and shows a price the same as the Kindle book). This is because the format IS the Kindle book and not the audio. You need to be sure to click the "add narration for a reduced price" or the "Audible Audio Edition" under "Formats" FROM the ebook's product page. Selecting either of the two I mentioned will not get you to the reduced narration. {Jeez, hope this makes sense.}

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2015 9:10:29 PM PDT
Barrett Buss says:
Amazon owns Audible.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Lost Kindle Unlimited when switched to Windows 10 3 55 seconds ago
SwagBucks Thread 2016 221 3 minutes ago
Add Photo Moments to Facebook on my kindle 4 5 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat (FB&C)---May 2016 898 6 minutes ago
85° and Sunny - A Perfect Day to RAOK! 6772 10 minutes ago
Hear Ye! Hear Ye! We're Quirky And We're Not Going To Take It Anymore! 2016, You've Been Warned! So Geese And Tally Ho! 9471 15 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 7465 16 minutes ago
Fire stick drops network connection 1463 23 minutes ago
Fire TV vs Fire Stick 2 26 minutes ago
Big thanks to Kindle for ruining my ebook experience 1269 27 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2013
Latest post:  Jul 17, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions