Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle fire HD tilt sensor stopped on day 1

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 28, 2012 11:49:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2012 12:46:36 AM PDT
Kodack says:
bought this 7 hours ago. Just charged it after using earlier, tiltsensor doesn't work. No matter what direction I hold it, the screen never rotates.....unbelievable even something this simple can't work right.

*update* I thought it was password lock like my iphone, not screen lock. /facepalm

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 12:10:22 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Yes, unbelievable how something as simple as screen orientation lock control escapes users' attention (you are far from being alone): swipe down to access settings; lock control is the leftmost one.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 11:12:33 AM PST
just in case you are already 'unlocked' and tilt on games has stopped working - turn off and when it comes back on - voila

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 11:47:45 AM PST
Bufo Calvin says:
Kodack, to explain this a bit:

Some apps seem to lock the orientation on their own, and then they don't unlock it afterwards. You can unlock it (or lock it) when you want do do that.

On any Kindle Fire except a first generation, follow Dragi's advice: swipe down from the top. On the Kindle Fire 1st Generation (in case that's what you bought, although they are sold out), tap the Settings Gear. After that, you'll see an icon that says "Locked" or "Unlocked"...tap it to switch from one to the other.

Enjoy your Kindle Fire!

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 5:37:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 5:38:20 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 8:21:38 PM PST
J. M. Hardy says:
Every time I tilt the Kindle Fire HD backwards or forwards it goes back to the ads which is very annoying. I've tried both the locked and unlocked settings and it doesn't seem to matter. At times this happens quite often. What is the problem? It's very annoying to be reading and have this happen.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 9:53:23 PM PST
Kodack says:
There is only one thing I can think of that would cause that. There is a magnetic sensor that the kindle uses to determine if you've closed the lid of a cover, putting it instantly to sleep. It sounds like yours is getting triggered from handling, momentarily going into sleep mode, then right back out.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 1:48:45 PM PST
E. Lessig says:
when I play a game like temple run I can't move over to get the coins, I could at first but can't anymore is there something I can do to fix this

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:12:46 PM PST
Fud53 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 10:11:00 AM PST
J. Givitis says:
Dragi's answer didn't work for me. It was already set to Unlocked. Only a hard reset did the job.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:12:51 AM PST
Same here. have you got a solution yet?

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 2:54:33 PM PST
D. sullivan says:
my girls both got kindles for xmas and neither is working with games that tilt. Fixable or return the kindles

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 3:20:26 PM PST
E. Collet says:
I was having the same trouble - try holding the power button and shutting down the kindle - when I did that, the problem was solved!

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 4:33:27 AM PST
R. Wood says:
E Collet's solution worked for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 5:48:09 PM PST
J. Rasmussen says:
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! We had the same problem and E. Collet's suggestion worked.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 11:55:33 AM PST
A. Boyd says:
This worked for me as well - thanks E Collet

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 9:44:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 9:55:26 AM PST
L. Beckett says:
My daughter's kindle fire isn't tilting - I try the switch on/off as above (E.Collet) and this works but only for a short while.
unlocking/locking the screen as also suggested isn't working either.
Please can anyone offer an alternative solution??????

ETA: seems to be working - for now!!! >.<

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2013 9:52:09 AM PDT
MomOf3 says:
I tried this and it worked! I swiped down from the top, went to settings, then accessibility, then switched the locks. It works...thank all of you because, boy was i freaking out. I thought my kid broke it!

Posted on May 13, 2014 12:45:38 PM PDT
Kkvasu says:
Worked thank you
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for Android app Update 4.13 Now Available
0 5 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces New Kindle Paperwhite: The Most Popular Kindle, Now Even Better
0 12 days ago
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Update 4.9 Now Available
0 May 27, 2015
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
60 May 19, 2015
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
July 2015 Informal Poll--What Are You Reading Now? 3 10 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat... July 2015 7 10 minutes ago
How to remove special offers from Paperwhite 3 4 11 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 2328 14 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - June 2015 911 30 minutes ago
RAOK 82 has a spring in its step! 4116 32 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Oct 28, 2012
Latest post:  May 13, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions