Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

volume issues on y kindle FIRE

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 20, 2012 5:27:14 AM PST
Chippa Dee says:
The speaker icon on the top right (next to my wi-fi icon) has an "X" next to it. I cannot get any sound from the keyboard, or the "Notifications" samples. But the sound is working on all my apps. How do I turn the speaker icon back on? Thanks!!!!

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 8:28:27 AM PST
Ida B. says:
I have the same question. Surprising that there's no response to this question from five days ago.... Hellooooooo?!?!?!!?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 9:02:48 AM PST
Chippa Dee says:
I have a solution!! Go to the Android App store and look for a volume control app ( I used Volume Manager Free ). Install it, and turn the volumes on the app up...........problem solved! Hooray!!

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 9:43:50 AM PST
**Meya** says:
The "x" isn't on the speaker icon, it is on the WiFi icon. There is no visible speaker icon on the Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 10:24:59 AM PST
Ida B. says:
Americus, the "X" is on the volume icon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 10:26:46 AM PST
**Meya** says:
Where do you see that icon? The volume icon only shows up after you tap the bolt icon. It is not visible at other times.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 10:27:00 AM PST
Ida B. says:
This is EXACTLY what I found when I Googled (when I was on the phone with Amazon Customer Service) and it worked! I have to give a shout-out to the KF expert who did stay on the line with me for quite a while to figure this all out. Thankfully I didn't have to do a factory reboot or a replacement device (Yikes!).... The irony, though, huh?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 10:29:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2012 10:29:57 AM PST
Ida B. says:
Americus, your questions resemble those of the Amazon CS guy.... Et tu? (Smile!)

Seriously: when the volume icon was muted (displayed as a grayed-out volume icon with an "x" next to it), there were four icons in the upper right corner of the device: the settings icon (spoked wheel), muted volume icon, wi-fi icon, battery icon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 10:32:57 AM PST
We're all just customers, dear. If no one knew, no one answered. Why not go ahead and ...I don't know... read the manual that's ON the Fire? Or call Customer Service.

Why would you wait around on a public forum?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 10:34:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2012 10:50:18 AM PST
Ida B. says:
Folina BatteriesIncluded Dubernol, I'll wait until you catch up! (Wink!)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 10:35:42 AM PST
**Meya** says:
So, how did the volume get muted to begin with? I've never seen that icon and can't find a way to mute it in such a way. I certainly wouldn't want to have to install an app to do something the Fire should do on its own.

I have notification sounds turned off, but that doesn't make an icon appear by the bolt.

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 10:46:52 AM PST
Is there a way to save images to the kindle fire? I miss that function from my b blackberry.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 10:49:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2012 10:51:46 AM PST
Ida B. says:
Americus: the Amazon CS guy suspects that I when I (may have) muted sounds on one of my apps, it (somehow) linked to mute the device altogether. I was able to maximize the general device volume but the muted icon was still there and I could not hear or raise the volume of the notification sounds. It was only when I used the Volume Manager Free app to unmute(?) all the sounds on the device that the muted volume icon disappeared and the notification sounds were audible again.

Add: I am not sure which app it could have been. I don't have many apps at all and the apps I do have, I do not recall muting any volume.

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 9:50:18 PM PST
Me says:
The same thing happened to me! I got volume manager free and it fixed it!

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 5:49:34 AM PST
Volume manager fixed it....This forum is awesome, thank you so much!!! Javkie

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 1:04:20 PM PDT
bobshotwell says:
How do you adjust sound?

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 1:25:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 1:52:21 PM PDT
Actually, there can be (or was -- maybe the problem has been fixed now?) a mysterious and pernicious "muting" icon that looks sort of like a megaphone. It suddenly appeared on my Fire one day, nestled between the gear and WiFi icons, and it totally messed with sound functions.

EVENTUALLY I learned that an app, namely Android Assistant which I had briefly installed and then already deleted, had left very spooky footprints. I ended up re-installing the app, changing the settings, and then re-uninstalling. Problem solved, extra icon disappeared. ?There may be other apps that do similar things?

ETA: Issue is not covered in the manual, nor do most CS people know about this one. Volume control app didn't fix it -- at that time anyway, which was last Feb.

Link to thread when I first encountered this problem: http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_search_res_ti?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdMsgID=Mx11O1WFCE9P4LN&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx2QZM8W31I1Y19#Mx11O1WFCE9P4LN

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2014 4:45:10 AM PST
You touch it again and it will unit mute the volume.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2014 5:37:04 PM PDT
I doesn't work liar!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2014 5:40:04 PM PDT
I doesn't work liar! On the stop the other person got I got and it just made that bar go down to!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2014 5:42:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 25, 2014 5:43:18 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Well duh! Look at the dates of the posts you are replying to. This was for the first generation Fires...

Posted on Aug 30, 2014 11:27:54 AM PDT
My volume control is moving on its own..been doing it for the past 2 days. The volume comes on the screen and just goes loud and soft...moving all on its own. Any idea what's wrong

Posted on Jun 2, 2015 5:14:08 PM PDT
Mike Silvers says:
My volume decreases each time I get a Facebook notification. If I'm on Netflix, I have to back out, restart the flick. Same thing on Amazon.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for the Original Kindle Paperwhite
0 5 days ago
Announcement
News: Kindle for Android app Update 4.13 Now Available
0 11 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces New Kindle Paperwhite: The Most Popular Kindle, Now Even Better
0 18 days ago
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Update 4.9 Now Available
0 May 27, 2015
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
60 May 19, 2015
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
RAOK 82 has a spring in its step! 4684 7 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat... July 2015 164 12 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 2471 24 minutes ago
sharing my kindle books with my family 6 46 minutes ago
See which device a books has been sent to 1 50 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Jan 20, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 2, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions