Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

weird noise from speaker when I swiped to unlock my kindle fire hd

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 20, 2012 7:24:59 PM PDT
Mon says:
it just happened again when I pressed the delete button a crackle from the speaker.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 7:37:00 PM PDT
R. Acoya says:
Thanks for sharing that.

If this is a cause of concern to you, you can have customer service call or email you. Look at the top of this screen, you'll see a blue Help link. Click on that, and follow the instructions on the next page.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 7:45:47 PM PDT
Mon says:
ty. I did email customer service. I dont know if its a problem yet. I hope not....

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 2:41:31 PM PDT
C. Campbell says:
Same thing happening here as well when I unlock the screen. Doesn't happen every time.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012 2:37:59 PM PDT
Babsy M says:
I have been having a similar problem the last two days also. I can't describe the noise though. It almost sounds electrical or something and happens sporadically and not just when I unlock it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012 2:59:54 PM PDT
Mon says:
It happens to me typing email too... I hope they can fix this with a firmware...

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 12:07:07 PM PDT
i also have this problem. as well as the sound turning off and not working with videos until i restart the video.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 12:10:29 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Tired hamsters complaining...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 8:54:09 AM PDT
R. Dorn says:
Is this something I should contact Amazon about. I just purchased mine and it is doing the same thing. VERY loud in my ear when it happens and scares me then like you said the video will not play agian till I turn it off and on again.

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 8:59:12 AM PDT
Guys, there have been several other threads here complaining about the Kindle Fire HD making popping noises. You'll find plenty of speculation there and possible solutions. I'm not retyping them here just because someone didn't think to use the search box.

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 9:06:15 AM PDT
R. Dorn says:
CJ I am sorry I am very new to Kindles and forms so are you telling me there is a solution to this popping problem or only speculations no real solutions?

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 11:07:06 AM PDT
It seems as if different things have worked for different people. Read through the other threads and see if any of the proposed solutions work for you.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 4:17:21 PM PST
Sean A.M. says:
Mine just started doing the same thing today; it makes a "pop" sound in the left speaker when I wake the device, and when I switch in and out of apps. Sometimes the audio just doesn't work, but sometimes audio returns if I restart the app; sometimes I have to restart the whole Kindle to get audio.

I tested the sound quality in a few apps by turning the sound down very low and listening closely to the speakers; the left speaker is really noisy (it makes a lot of crackling sounds) while the right speaker sounds clean, only reproducing the sounds from the app. I noticed it happens -- this popping sound, and the audio anomalies -- even when the audio is turned all the way down. The left speaker makes crackling noises even when there are no sounds playing, but I have to put my ear close to the speaker to hear it.

I also noticed, after testing audio from various apps for about 5-10 minutes, that the left side of the Kindle Fire HD chassis (around the speaker) was notably warm. This definitely seems like one of the speakers has shorted-out or blown; the heat is probably coming from a bad electrical connection, where electricity is arcing across the damaged circuit, which would explain the crackling as well.

Definitely contact Amazon about this, as your Kindle Fire HD is defective, and probably has a short-circuit like mine seemingly does. Continued use may fry the entire thing and make it completely unusable, but since it hasn't been out that long Amazon should replace it without issue.

Posted on May 27, 2014 6:21:18 PM PDT
Rob says:
I hear a maaaaak sound randomly and it drives me crazy

Posted on Jun 15, 2014 6:26:10 AM PDT
Mine makes random three or four note chimes. Happens every now and then, just started.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2014 7:02:28 AM PDT
Susan ~ Chimes are notifications, typically heard when one receives an email, has a calendar event pop up, plays certain games like Words with Friends, or when the battery had reached full charge. (It just depends on which apps you actively use and whether you have notifications enabled.)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update 5.4.5
29 18 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
121 2 hours ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 896 5 minutes ago
Overcharging for ebooks 5 20 minutes ago
USB port: loose fit? 353 30 minutes ago
Kindle Free Time password issue 49 34 minutes ago
Kindle collecting taxes on books? 4 37 minutes ago
raok 77 - a glimpse of heaven? 8953 39 minutes ago
FREE Books and Chat: Monday, July 28, 2014 15 42 minutes ago
too many open tabs 59 46 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Sep 20, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 15, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions