Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

(Original) Kindle Fire

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2012 6:43:27 AM PST
J. Bassett says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:47:36 AM PST
**Meya** says:
What type of updates are you talking about? No company is going to continue to work on major updates to devices they no longer sell. Amazon will continue to support older devices. Meaning if you have trouble with even a K2, you can call and get help from Kindle CS.

Not sure what you mean by "Amazon has deemed original Kindle owners to be below their standards." ?

Do you think B&N continues to create updates for older devices?

The threat to move to a nook makes your post seem trollish.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:47:44 AM PST
Dittie says:
Did you even read what you wrote?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:49:31 AM PST
You are talking to other customers here. We really have no idea. I suggest contacting Kindle support by clicking on help at the top of the page and then the contact us button on the next page.

My opinion is updates will happen for a while (how long, I have no idea) and then, like any other device not being made, updates will stop happening. It's just the same with any electronic device. Even Microsoft no longer updates the older operating systems.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 6:56:42 AM PST
J. Bassett says:
OK, obviously I shouldn't be posting when I'm pissed off about something (no, not the Kindle or Amazon).

What I meant was normal updates, not upgrades. That I understand they won't do.

I am frustrated that they never put in some of the simpler features the other Kindles had, which included categories.

And I'm not being "trollish" by mentioning the Nook. Merely saying it might be time to try another brand, since the last thing I want to do is plot down a huge chunk of change to upgrade to the newest Kindle Fire. There is no harm in trying the competition.

And Vickie? Amazon folk monitor the discussions as well, so it is possible to post such a question in the forum and get an answer.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:02:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 7:04:11 AM PST
**Meya** says:
Updates are typically "fixes" to the firmware of a device. Expecting the Fires to have the features of the e-ink models is unrealistic. The devices are very different.

Amazon, or any other company for the matter, is under no obligation to "update" a device that is performing as designed. The 1st Generation Fire that I have is working perfectly, doing what it was designed to. I don't expect an update to give that Fire the same features as the newer models.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:02:55 AM PST
Dittie says:
Today happens to be National Free Shipping Day. It's a week from Christmas Eve and there are very few days left to order from anywhere and still hope to get delivery by December 24. Believe it or not, your post is not so special that the powers-that-be are going to take time out from their real jobs to even notice one more "I'll go buy a Nook" post.

But for the benefit of the mere customers here, please tell us how buying a new Nook changes the fact that you bought an original Fire and how you're going to do that without "plotting down a chunk of change."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:04:18 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Do you think B&N is going to be any better about updating older devices?

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 7:06:38 AM PST
Dittie says:
Nook 1 was out for about a year before it had a collections feature.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:11:14 AM PST
You do whatever you feel is best for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:36:22 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Glad you have a plan. See ya around.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:44:58 AM PST
Mary Jane says:
Amazon always wants to keep your business. I believe that if an update could be applied to the older Fire, then they may implement it. However, the newer Fire has upgraded hardware that allows it to run programs that the older Fire cannot. If that is the case, then I wouldn't expect any updates.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:11:32 AM PST
R. D. Clark says:
JB, most of us learn this lesson the expensive way, the way you did: Buy devices based on how well they do what you need them to do when you buy them. Sometimes, -- if the vendor actually makes a public promise in writing that a feature will be "added in an upcoming software update" -- you can include that capability in your decision. But never assume anything.

Amazon never promised anything for the Fire that wasn't on the product page the day it launched. Anyone who bought one based on an assumption of added future capabilities got what Amazon promised.

I happen to agree with you that Amazon would inspire more confidence and make more customers happy if they provided more feature updates for older products, and that the original Fire seems particularly abandoned, compared even to the Kindle 3 (over two years old, yet recently updated with "Whispersync for Voice") although, to be fair, that Kindle is still being made and sold.

The Fire, like the Touch, was on the market less than a year when it was discontinued with no indication that further refinement would take place; all focus shifted to the new products. This is understandable, but it's a cautionary flag for buyers of the new stuff: Don't expect your Fire HD or your PaperWhite to continue to get updates past their discontinuance.

As long as we understand these things, and buy them only if we're sure they'll do everything we need them to do *now,* there's no issue, and certainly no breach of faith.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 9:33:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 9:37:52 AM PST
M42 says:
"Do you think B&N continues to create updates for older devices?"

Yes they do. I've received updates and enhancements to my original Nook Color, which is no longer sold in the store.

Amazon dropped support for the original Fire when it was far from being a year old. I understand it would be economically feasible to support older vintage devices, but when a device is only a few months old you expect it to receive updates. Not everybody can afford to keep buying the newest Fire that comes out. Now that's not economically feasible. If that's what Amazon expects of its customers then we may as well go back to reading paper books. In fact, I still buy a lot of them because I can pick up hardcovers at my local B&N for half the Kindle price.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 9:51:09 AM PST
My KF1 does exactly what it said it would do. If you want a newer version, buy one. If you think you want a Nook, go buy one. In either event, I doubt seriously that anyone here cares.

It is called progress. Embrace it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:02:48 AM PST
The thing you are not considering is that no one HAS to buy the newest device. If the one they have is working why would they need to purchase a new one. People may WANT to have the latest and greatest, and I admit I'm usually one of those people, but no one HAS to.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:06:01 AM PST
yeah, I agree. I have the original 1st generation Fire. While I think the new doohinkies on the new HD models are fine and dandy, I'm still happy with my Fire...it does exactly what it said it would when I purchased it. I have no qualms knowing that if I want to embrace those new features, I will have to buy one of the newer models ( and probably the week after that a new model will be released....lol)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:10:23 AM PST
Your Fire does exactly what it did when you felt it good enough to purchase. I mean, car companies come out with new models every year, and I don't whine that my car doesn't have what the new year's model does. So what? I bought last year. It was good enough then. Why is it sudden inferior just because they created a newer one?

And you can HAVE all those hardbacks! 1) Gasoline is $3.15 a gallon here, and the nearest bookstore to me is 17 miles away, and not located near any other stores I frequent. 2) I don't want to hold them. 3) I don't want to store them. 4) I don't want to dust them. 5) I don't want to find homes for them.

E-ink Forev.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:40:53 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
What is the Fire not doing that you bought it to do? I buy things for what they can do now. Not for what I hope they will add later. Kind of silly thinking if you ask me.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 1:01:37 PM PST
Debi says:
So does this mean my USDX is not getting another update?

;)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 1:17:46 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Yes there is an awesome update for it. The way you activate it is by using a sledgehammer on the screen. Best update ever.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 1:18:50 PM PST
I'm waiting for the Deal of the Day to be a ballpeen hammer. Mostly because the word, "ballpeen" makes me laugh.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 3:47:07 AM PST
J. Bassett says:
I bought the original Fire when it first hit the market. Amazon made "promises" of adding new simple features that the original Kindles already had, such as a categories feature. With every upgrade they put out, a lot of people asked "what about a category feature?" Amazon never responded.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 4:03:07 AM PST
SeaLevel274 says:
I don't recall Amazon ever promising to add a category feature to the original Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 4:39:35 AM PST
I agree. I don't recall Amazon ever promising to add any features but many on these forums *assumed* that it would happen. Amazon, to the best of my memory, stated the Fire came with these features (just like any other product).

If you didn't like the features, then you shouldn't have bought on the speculation that the feature you wanted may be added later.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 24, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions