Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Can anyone help me with this piece of junk?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 181 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 23, 2013 11:01:39 AM PDT
kurt butler says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2013 11:06:11 AM PDT
❤ Ann says:
Click your model here (it's probably a 1st-generation Fire HD, if you've had it for a month) - http://amazon.com/kindlesupport.

There is also a User's Guide on your Fire itself. Tap Apps and look for a blue bubble with a white question mark on it.

To put the Fire to sleep, just briefly press the power button.

Did you buy the e-book from Amazon, or from another source? If the latter, where did you get it and what format is it?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2013 11:07:41 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
mine charges just fine awake or sleep, but I use a wall charger

touching the power button puts it to sleep

and if you look on your menu bar, under Settings or more, you'll see a Help and Feedback listing with a user guide under that

and there's also quite a bit of information under the Help Link above under Kindle - Your Model including a complete how to get started with your kindle option

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2013 11:07:56 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 5, 2013 7:02:56 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2013 11:09:44 AM PDT
You don't upload books. You either download them to the Kindle directly using wi-fi (that you provide or find) or 3g (if you have that model). Or you can SIDEload books by downloading to a PC first, then transferring via USB.

Where did you get the book? Are you sure you purchased it on the same account that the Fire is on? Are you sure the Fire is registered to your Amazon account?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2013 11:12:25 AM PDT
Getting Started:
http://amazon.com/help/kindlegettingstarted

Click on - http://amazon.com/kindlesupport - scroll down and click on your Kindle for extensive online documentation.

Kindle Support Videos:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=kvideos?nodeId=200588130

Go to the Apps tab and click on the Help app (blue cloud with a white question mark on it). The User Guide is in there.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2013 11:21:08 AM PDT
kurt butler says:
Thank you. I'll try your suggestions if it ever charges up. Got it from AMZN.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2013 11:28:07 AM PDT
Just throwing this out there: Not all usb ports on a computer are "hot". Some of them WON'T charge an offboard device.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2013 11:28:09 AM PDT
Just a bit of unsolicited advice on my part...

You're more likely to get other Kindle owners on a Kindle forum to want to help you if you don't begin your post with "Can anyone help me with this piece of junk."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2013 11:28:43 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
you can also click on the Help link at the top of the page, then kindle and then click the orange Contact Us button and select either Chat or Call Me/Us and get them to walk you through it (after it's charged)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2013 11:37:33 AM PDT
kurt butler says:
I'm 87 years old and trying to learn something new. So I'm a little frustrated. That's no reason to insult me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2013 11:40:11 AM PDT
And, dear sir, being 87 is no reason to open a thread cantankerously, either. We're all just customers, like you, who enjoy helping other people, but they have to ask nicely.

Now. Don't be a curmudgeon, phrase your questions individually and clearly, and we'd be glad to see if we can walk you through some of it. And, as CBRetriever said, you can always talk to Customer Service, too.

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 11:46:44 AM PDT
kurt butler says:
Thanks to all who replied with useful info and links. I think I can get it right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2013 11:57:32 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
THIS!
You catch more flies with honey than vinegar

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2013 12:02:30 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 5, 2013 7:02:58 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2013 12:08:15 PM PDT
CBRetriever says:
I'm over 60 and it was new to me last year - it's good to learn new things as it keeps the brain young

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2013 12:12:39 PM PDT
Age has no bearing on how a request for assistance is posed. However, now knowing your age, possibly there is a senior center nearby often they give assistance and training with the new technology.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2013 12:19:55 PM PDT
BethW says:
My Mom (80 yr old) found the most useful help from the people who worked at Starbuck where she went to use wifi. Her library was clueless.

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 12:28:38 PM PDT
L. Hill says:
My mom (also in her 80's) has been on Kindle and Fire since its beginning...she is always able to find some smart-alec kid (besides her son...hahaha) who can't wait to help the nice elderly lady play with her Fire! Kurt - look for the nearest kid with a smart phone, talk NICELY to them, and I bet you will have more help than you can shake a stick at!!! Tech Support - it's the new "Help the Elderly Lady Across the Street" act of kindness!!! I see it at church all the time - kids coming up to "help" our elderly tech-ies with their new "toys" - even though in most cases, these elderly know more than the kids!!! It is generally in the nature of kids to try to help out - so let them!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2013 12:32:48 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
The reason you are getting insults is the way you worded your post. Coming on here insulting the device because you don't understand it by calling it junk gets some people worked up. If you would have just stated you needed help it would have been a lot different....

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 12:46:10 PM PDT
kurt butler says:
It's amazing how emotional people get about a perceived insult to their beloved devices. What is this, a cult? The Kindle is a THING, an inanimate object. It has no feelings
to be hurt. I didn't insult any person, I merely expressed some frustration with a THING, like everyone here has at one time or another. So why are Jazzy Jeff, et al mad enough to lecture and insult me? I may not be talented with tech, but I know the difference between people and things.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2013 12:48:39 PM PDT
Dittie says:
Dude, it's not about insulting the device. It's about zero respect for the helpful people here who give freely of their time, patience and expertise. In 87 years, you haven't figured out that one yet?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2013 12:49:48 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 24, 2013 8:13:31 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2013 1:00:55 PM PDT
kurt butler says:
Dude!? How did I show lack of respect? By asking for help? In fact I thanked the helpful posters. You surely read that thanks, but can't get past my calling this THING a piece of junk (have you never sworn at your car when it wouldn't start?). You take that as a personal insult to you, thus proving my point that there's something very cultish going on with some people here. Maybe you need some friends other than your beloved devices.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2013 1:02:58 PM PDT
I'm still calling curmudgeon. GET OFF MY LAWN YOU ROTTEN KIDS!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  181
Initial post:  Oct 23, 2013
Latest post:  Oct 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions