Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage  McCartney Shop Now Retro Toys Deal
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

what is the best e-reader device

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2012 5:29:47 AM PST
spinrbait says:
what is the best e-reader? i like the kindle 3g because it doesn't hurt my eyes reading it like my computer does. i also have really begin to like the text to speech. now my 3g keeps screwing up, and i just want another one. i want to be able to cut it on, and feel confident its going to work, and keep on working. but i don't have faith in kindle 3g's anymore. i have looked at the kindle fires, and the nooks. i don't want a paper white because it doesn't have audio. but i am afraid the fire or the nook is going to hurt my eyes after awhile because of the lit screen. all i care about is books, i'm not planning to watch any movies on a 8 inch screen. i've got 60 inch hd for that. what do y'all think is the absolute best e-reader devise

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 5:31:46 AM PST
If you want TTS capabilities on a Kindle, your only choices are the Kindle Keyboard or the HD Fires and if you don't want to read on a LCD screen then the KK is really your only choice.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 5:45:08 AM PST
Also, if you were to get an e-ink nook, your Kindle library would be useless. You can't put a Kindle app on an e-ink nook.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 5:47:44 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
How long have you had your Kindle? If less than 12 months, it is still under warranty.

What keeps screwing up about it?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:02:52 AM PST
spinrbait says:
its been about 2 years. i'm not blaming amazon or anything like that. and they have been helpful as far as customer service. i will probably send it to them after i finish reading the last book on there. but sometimes it takes 30 minutes before i get to start reading. then it could cut off or freeze up at anytime. i'll probably just get another one just like it though. but i am used to technology lasting a lot longer. my hd tv's and laptops just go on for years and years. i never even consider them tearing up. if i have to buy a new kindle every 2 years, it makes buying kindle books more expensive than regular books lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:05:17 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
A few things to try -- do you have it in a non-lighted Amazon leather cover that attaches with hooks? The original version of those covers caused problems with Kindles. Remove it from the cover and see if that helps.

How many books do you have on it? More than about 300 it will start to slow down.

I don't think a Nook is going to last any longer. Many people have Kindles that are 4 or 5 years old.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:06:12 AM PST
How many books do you have downloaded on the Kindle? Too many books, will cause any Kindle to slow down and freeze.

Did this just start after purchasing a book? Sometimes a Kindle gets stuck on indexing and needs a complete restart. Make sure the Kindle is fully charged and remove the power cable. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds (time it). Wait until the home screen is fully loaded before doing anything. This can take a few minutes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:10:13 AM PST
A small, handheld device simply isn't going to withstand daily use and handling for as long as a hefty laptop. They're smaller, lighter, made of thinner materials, get carried around in bags, picked up, put down, carried around some more.

That said, my original KK is going on two years old, and with *daily* use, including bumping along in my bag everywhere I go, it looks almost brand new (except for a slight rubbing-off of a couple keys). It still works *perfectly*; I anticipate it continuing to do so for a long time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:12:10 AM PST
spinrbait says:
it is in a non lighted cover with hooks. the hooks are made of plastic and not metal. i had read that metal near the kindle sometimes causes problems. but i will try it without the cover. i only have about 20 books on it. i didn't use it for a long time. when i first got it, i just liked real books better. but i bought a couple of books that were kindle only, and got used to it. now i love it. but now it keeps screwing up lol. i'm sure i will stick to kindle. i would get a fire if i knew that the screen wouldn't hurt my eyes after reading for an hour or so. but i think it will. lcd screens just bother me after being in front of them for so long. actually i even like the original 3g like i have better than the paper white.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:13:57 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
The hooks look like plastic but they aren't. If you bought that cover 2 years ago, I bet that is the cause of the problems. Please let us know if removing the cover helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:25:32 AM PST
spinrbait says:
i have to restart it sometimes several times a day. both by restarting from the menue button and holding the on button for 30 seconds. but i really don't know if it was after downloading a new book or not. now sometimes the screen turns black. but the audio still reads and then when the page turns everything is ok. there are lots of things it does wrong now. it is getting worse. i just need a new one. then if amazon can fix the old one i will just have a spare

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:28:43 AM PST
spinrbait says:
i am glad to hear that. mostly on these threads people are talking about the problems they encounter. it can lead to an image that kindles tear up all the time. but the millions who have them and don't tear up, never think about posting, so it helps to hear some people say they have reliable ones. it gives me more confidence in getting another one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:29:25 AM PST
spinrbait says:
ok i will

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 5:13:36 AM PST
spinrbait says:
peachy pat (and everyone else) i took the cover off of my kindle, and turned it on and off yesterday 8 times. i guess i read about an 1.5 hours total. and then this morning i turned it on and off twice. so far after taking the cover off it has worked as good as new every single time. i still haven't used tts since i removed the cover. but while i guess i am just too afraid to think it is fixed and then have such a letdown, i have to say it looks like taking the cover off worked.

have there been any problems with the new covers. it really needs one to protect it. but thank you peachy pat for taking the time to respond.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 5:19:18 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Hope it does solve your problem. I keep my KK in a case from M-Edge
They start at $20.00 and come with a free book light if you order directly from

A tip: you don't have to turn the Kindle completely off. Just put it to sleep. It doesn't use any power while asleep.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
0 3 hours ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 20 days ago
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 20 days ago
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Kindle Unlimited cancellation after 1st charge, will I lose or is there a pro-rated refund 25 6 minutes ago
The Quirkier, The Better! Bring Your Dogs, Cats, Exploding Chickens, So Geese, Fighting Turkeys, Goats, Fluffy Sheep, Cows, Velvet Monkeys, Big Honking Bats, Fishlettes And Cherie! Tally Ho! 932 6 minutes ago
83 and we're RAoKing PRIME 2623 9 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 3376 18 minutes ago
Suggestions for Kindle features 578 20 minutes ago
Is there a downside to overcharging a Kindle battery? 2 24 minutes ago
Al's Place 36 Degrees of Separation 43 25 minutes ago
Amazon Echo (no invite questions) 5614 26 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions