Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle fire apps for note taking

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2011 7:24:25 AM PST
K. Shankman says:
one of the things I love about my iPad is that with a couple of great apps and a good stylus I can take handwritten class notes just about as easily as writing on a piece of paper (albeit one that is part of a really heavy pad). I think the fire could be even better for this, because it's smaller and lighter. Does anyone who owns a fire know if there are good handwriting note taking apps available? In my experience with the iPad, the quality of the app makes a big difference--there are some handwriting apps that leave your notes looking like they were written by a 3-year-old, and some that really let you produce notes that are almost identical to your real handwriting (mine is pretty bad, so I'm not saying it would beat the three year old, but I'm used to it).
A good handwriting app would probably seal the deal for me, Kindle fire-wise, so I'm really curious to know what is out there.
Thanks!

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 7:34:56 AM PST
Vikki P. says:
I don't know about any good handwriting apps for the Fire. I've got one or two of the high-rated free apps and I'm not impressed by them. On top of that, the Fire hasn't got enough real estate for writing...maybe in landscape mode...just maybe.

Best to stick with your iPad.

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 10:02:47 PM PST
2LT Mom says:
I just downloaded the Handrite app to my Kindle Fire. I LOVE IT! I will be getting a stylus soon and then I will be completely satisfied! The Handrite app allows you to write with your finger (or capacitive stylus) on your Kindle screen and then it lines up your handwriting nice and neat as if you were writing on a piece of paper. I like the layout. You can choose to write with your finger or use the "keyboard" or a combination of both. Then I saved it and I can share it in EverNote or e-mail it to myself (or whom ever) as a jpg file. I also like that it doesn't try to "read" your writing, so you can write in any language (english, spanish, or chinese, whatever) and draw diagrams next to your writing, just like you would on a notebook. Hopefully I will find a good Handwriting Recognition program to use with it and I'll be all set. I'd love to be able to import the notes that I need to share with other people and turn them into a text file, so I don't have to "re-type" for documents that I want to transfer later to a Word doc. format.

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 10:26:21 PM PST
A. Tsurukame says:
Hmm...I'd be curious about this too. What are some good handwriting apps on the iPad that I can use to compare? I typically use my bluetooth wireless keyboard on my iPad and iPhone to taking meeting notes, and I just accepted the fact that I can't take long notes on the Kindle.

But if I decide to do handwriting with a stylus (I used own Palms), I may try that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 1:57:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2011 1:58:11 PM PST
S. Dudley says:
Oh wow you are right on I cant wait to get my second Kindle and I hope its a fire like yours

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 6:58:01 AM PST
Where you download the Handrite app?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2011 7:14:05 AM PST
catsch says:
I just did a search on Amazon and there it was. I tried to add a link but it wouldn't show up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 12:33:19 PM PST
raquel says:
I'm using handrite on my kindle fire and love it. I searched for the apk file and downloaded it from 4shared

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 7:16:15 PM PST
M. E. Trauth says:
I'm a former Palm user myself - and wouldn't it be great to have Graffiti on the Fire! I got so used to it that I still have a tendency to use Graffiti-like keystrokes when writing longhand. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 7:23:39 PM PST
A. Tsurukame says:
I miss my palm and, yes, Graffiti, too. I loved all the launchers with custom gestures I could customize to start apps, cut and paste, etc.

I had many versions of the Palm (and Palm Pilots) but I loved my Sony Clie the best. Color screen, mp3 player, camera, internet and I read ebooks on it, and that was almost 10 years ago. I had a lot of people shaking their heads at me wondering why I liked reading books on my Palm. It was such a great device while traveling, too.

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 8:04:34 AM PST
grannyginny says:
What I'm looking for is an app that I can use to open a word document (like a meeting agenda) and then take handwritten notes on that "paper". Any ideas?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 8:11:17 AM PST
I tried writing on the Fire with a stylus and it was not functional. The lag between stylus gestures on the screen and the writing being rendered made it unusable.

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 8:18:30 AM PST
rozcar says:
I found an app that works very well with a stylus or your finger for note-taking Smart Writing Tool - 7notes Premium (Kindle Fire Edition) I am very pleased with it. I've used the stylus on other apps and have never had the problem of significant lag time. The Kindle Fire is my constant companion and as additional apps are created it will be even better.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 8:19:55 AM PST
Good to know. Perhaps the Autodesk app is just a poor performer.

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 11:41:52 AM PST
pinkovenmom says:
there is a guy who sits next to me and uses 7notes on his fire. It works so well, I am looking for it for my Nook.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 11:04:29 AM PDT
Alice says:
@Pinkovenmom I saw someone using 7notes and a stylus. It sold me on the kindle fire. I will be getting one for class this fall.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 1:15:25 PM PST
Do you need a handwriting analysis tool if you use Fire for handwritten note taking? I am seriously looking at replacing my Kindle Keyboard with the Fire or Fire HD but only if I can use it for handwritten notes. I'm a writer and it would save me so much time not having to write my first draft then type it all onto the computer before editing...I have found that I prefer the portability of a small notebook and pen that I can carry with me everywhere and the Fire is about the same size as my preferred spiral bound NB.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 9:00:07 AM PST
K. Shankman says:
I got the Kindle Fire HD and bought 7Notes, and I'm really happy with both. I use a Wacom Bamboo stylus, and they work great together

Posted on Oct 5, 2013 7:20:53 PM PDT
Megs says:
I have been thinking of buying a samsung galaxy note for some time.. primarily for taking class notes.. now we have the new Kindle fire HDX for almost the same price, Can somebody convince me to go for Kindle fire instead :). As I said it's primarily for taking class notes and I really want to have a good hand writing recognition software.. Kindle Fire HDX 8.9", HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 16 GB - Includes Special OffersSamsung Galaxy Note 8.0 (16GB, Brown-Black)

Posted on Dec 25, 2013 9:51:24 AM PST
I am looking for an app to take notes in class for college. I would like an app that you can write on with a styles, type from a wireless keyboard, and also share on my laptop. Is this too much to ask for haha? The best think I can compare what I am looking for is OneNote for WIndows but on my Kindle FireHDX. Is there an app that can you can at least write and type on?

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 1:01:52 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 21, 2014 1:02:42 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 1:04:01 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 21, 2014 1:05:54 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 1:06:06 PM PST
Jordyn00 says:
Does 7 note allow you to download a power point and take hand written notes on the power point? I'm looking for a good note taking app for college
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Update 4.9 Now Available
0 7 hours ago
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
60 8 days ago
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
Toler Tech LLC 80 6 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 3096 7 minutes ago
We're So Quirky, Our Chihuahuas Ride Bicycles! So Geese and Tally Ho! 8692 8 minutes ago
Old kindle 3 11 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 7591 14 minutes ago
Keep losing WiFi connection 124 17 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - May 2015 820 18 minutes ago
what kindle is the update for? 3 18 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 21, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions