Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

How can I prevent child from purchasing on Kindle?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2011 10:56:37 AM PST
AmazonFever says:
I was considering getting my 11yr old niece a Kindle 4 (without special offers) for her birthday in a few months. Her mother has an Amazon account, so registering a Kindle wouldn't be difficult.
I recently purchased one for myself and have had it for a week. Love it.
Is there a way the Kindle could be password protected so my niece does not purchase books from it without her mother's consent? I haven't been able to find a way to do that on my own Kindle and wasn't sure if I was missing something.

Thanks!

If this question has already been asked and answered, then I apologize for the repeat.

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 10:59:01 AM PST
MonaLS says:
I'm sorry, I don't know of a way to do that on any of the Kindles.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 11:00:04 AM PST
Cassie Anne says:
No passwords.

Have her mother explain the ground rules and consequences for breaking the rules. Implement consequences as needed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 11:00:14 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Don't save the WiFi password so that she cannot connect to the internet. Or you could deregister the device until you want to put books on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 11:01:01 AM PST
Miss Carol says:
No, there is not. However, everytime a book is purchased (even the free ones) the account holder receives an email. Amazon allows you to return books for 7 days afterwards if there's a mistake. Some parents on here give the child gift cards to fund book purchases, when their gift card runs out, they have to stop buying until the next one. And of course, the consequence is usually to take the device away if there's an issue with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 11:02:38 AM PST
There is no way to prevent books from being downloaded onto a Kindle. If your niece is 11, telling her not to purchase books without her mother's consent should be enough. If it isn't, she shouldn't have one. The other option is to set up an account in her name and feed it with gift cards.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 11:02:57 AM PST
☼Becky☼ says:
Your sister will get an email when anything is ordered. At 11, your niece is old enough to know not to order without permission. If she does order, your sister will know and be able to react accordingly. If she accidentally orders, amazon will refund. I bet she is going to be so thrilled with her kindle it won't be a problem. It's a really nice gift.

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 11:03:40 AM PST
Arual says:
Hello C.
I believe the only way to prevent your niece from being able to order books would be to deregister her specific Kindle from her mother's account each time an (approved) book is downloaded. There's no harm in that; her unit can be registered and deregistered easily without any effect except a slight inconvenience on Mom's part.

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 11:08:28 AM PST
Bjeans says:
I thought a couple of people mentioned apps?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 11:12:02 AM PST
Miss Carol says:
The kindle being bought is the K4 though, not the Fire. There aren't apps for that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 11:12:26 AM PST
~nospin says:
Apps for a Kindle 4?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 11:13:10 AM PST
Bjeans, there are no parental controls for Kindle readers, only for the Kindle Fire.

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 11:25:57 AM PST
Bjeans says:
Oops X 3. I realize that, just assume just about everything is about the Fire these days, and skipped a key word when reading. Sorry about that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 11:30:01 AM PST
Talk with your sister about this. If she feels that her daughter is old enough not to purchase books without permission then it sounds like a lovely gift.

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 11:33:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2011 11:57:53 AM PST
A Kindle is a great present...my 9 year old and my 13 year old both love theirs :)

For my oldest I started a new account with an alternative email. I do fund it with my credit card because basically I have no concept of a 'book budget'. A book is wanted and the answer is yes. He does know how to order a book, but also knows to ask first (or shortly after). I get the emails so I would know if he did something 'unauthorized' by accident, or not.

This way, when he is older he will get to keep all 'his' books and for now he gets a taste of responsibility. I know I can cancel an order if he really messes up, he can also buy stuff on his own but I can keep track. Most importantly, he can't see the utter crap I read...my privacy is preserved! I f I actually enforced a book budget then my credit card could be removed from the account and it could be funded with gift cards.

My youngest is still on my account--I have plenty of appropriate books for his age and until he outgrows those, I'll keep him on the account. I have not 'taught' his Kindle the wifi password and I download via usb cable so he does not have access to my archive either. We live somewhere where free wifi is a rarity so that is nice too.

I would let her mother know the options and let them decide of course, but I do like how my children will end up keeping 'their' books, at least once my youngest outgrows what I have for him on my Kindle...

JTG

ps I was assuming you meant the basic Kindle or the Kindle touch when you said Kindle 4. The Fire is just a tablet computer and different concerns exist. My kids only get 30 minutes (60 on weekends) per day of screen time so the tablet version is not for us. Screen time does not include eInk screens of course.

edited for missing words...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 11:33:52 AM PST
dharts says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 11:37:56 AM PST
"Yes there are parental controls. They're called parents."

Where can I buy this app?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 11:38:39 AM PST
Great, but that is not what was mentioned.

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 11:42:55 AM PST
For those of you with a Kindle Fire

Kids Place - With Child Lock

Kid Mode: Play + Learn

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 3:27:29 PM PST
C. Scilley says:
You could load the Kindle with books and then de-register it from your account. When you need to load more books, just register it again.
Carolyn
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions