Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Help with Library book loaning

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 13, 2013 3:32:35 PM PST
Ann Wood says:
I downed loaded the software from overdrive.com - the library said so. The book is listed on my Amazon Kindle list. I click action then download thru usb (don't have a fire) and it keeps telling me to remove it and download again. Which I have done again and again. What could be wrong?

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 3:39:13 PM PST
The Artist says:
If you don't have a Fire, then you don't borrow books through the overdrive.com software. Read this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-1?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200747550&qid=1360798683&sr=1-1

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 3:45:23 PM PST
Sarida says:
What device did you download Overdrive to?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 3:46:57 PM PST
Gamer says:
1. Turn on the WiFi on your Kindle.
2. To check out a library book to your Kindle, visit the website of your local library and search for eBooks. Your library should have an area of their website devoted to eBooks and digital media.
Select the title you want to check out, and login with your library card information and pin when prompted. Use a personal email address (not your Kindle address) to place a hold.
3. After you have checked out the title, choose Get for Kindle to have it sent to your Kindle. You'll be redirected to Amazon.com's Public Library Loan page for that title. If you're not logged into Amazon, you'll need to enter your login for your Amazon.com account.
4. Choose the device or app from the Deliver to menu, and choose Get library book to send the book to your device or reading app.

I have had no trouble following this. If you do not have WiFi follow instructions for transferring content by USB.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 4:01:07 PM PST
Ann Wood says:
Amazon told me I could download library books as long as I use the usb since I dont have a fire.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 4:29:01 PM PST
Ann Wood says:
I have to use the usb port, won't work without, the page tells me that. I hit the button on the library page it gives me a choice to send the copy of the book to my kindle, which I click. Amazon then says it will send it to their library lending page, but my book goes to the same page i go to when I buy a book. Is that causing the problem?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 4:29:34 PM PST
Ann Wood says:
I downloaded the Overdrive to my computer

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 4:33:32 PM PST
Ann Wood says:
I will nott work. it just tells me to remove and download again.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 4:33:42 PM PST
The Artist says:
Did you bother to read the link I posted? You DO NOT use the overdrive software to borrow a book that you want to read on your Kindle from the library unless you have a Fire. The link I provided tells you how to transfer the book via usb, but you have to obtain the book correctly. After you borrow it from your local library, it will take you to a page on Amazon to download the loan to your Kindle, whether via wi-fi or transfer via usb.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 4:46:32 PM PST
Ann Wood says:
I did bother to read your post and I did it and it didn't work, you don't have to get angry about it. I went to my library, clicked send to my kindle. It doesn't show up on my Kindle, yes, the whispernet is on. It does however, show up on my list of books on Amazon. 2nd way- Amazon did say to click on transfer via computer, but I don't get that option. 3rd way, it was downloaded from my library to my computer, no problem. I'm stuck. Give me a break I'm 62 years old. I'm trying my best. I just can't transfer it from my computer to my kindle and the library does not send it directly to my Kindle. I have a first generation Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 5:35:32 PM PST
The Artist says:
On the page I linked above, there is another link that has information on how to transfer the library book via usb. Look for the blue text and click on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 5:44:03 PM PST
Miss M says:
Lynn,
All Kindle library loans *do* go through Amazon, as you've now found out. Once your library 'sends' you to the Amazon page, it will ask you where you want to download - you need to select 'Transver via computer', then it will ask you which kindle you're going to transfer to, you select, then it downloads the file to your computer (it should ask you where you want to download and you need to note where/which directory you're downloading to.)

Then, hook up the kindle to your computer via usb, go to your computer's file manager, find the book file, and then 'copy to' the 'Documents' folder of whichever drive is your Kindle (E:, F:, G:, etc). That's a general overview and the link from The Artist should explain pretty clearly. If you get hung up at a specific point, post again.

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 2:26:06 PM PST
Ann Wood says:
Thanks everyone for your help. Miss Mitford really helped me, I found out the problem. When the window opened up for the documents it was in a split screen. The left was where the Kindle was listed, but..to me it wasn't listed because I didn't know enough, this is embarrassing, to scroll down the left part of the window to find the Kindle listed. I thought what I was seeing were my only choices. I spent over 3 hours working on this for doing such a stupid thing. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 2:52:00 PM PST
John D. says:
I've used Windows computers for many years, and a few years ago got a Mac. Everyone said they're intuitive, so I should find it easy...

Well, turns out this intuitive system isn't really "intuitive". You have to learn a lot to be really productive... just like... Windows! Of course, Windows seems intuitive to me (because I've been using it for many years).

So... don't be embarrassed. Tech savvy or not, used to these systems or not, they can be quirky and difficult until you get it mastered. So keep on keeping on, and soon it will be easy and intuitive to you too. Thank goodness for folks who give the help that's needed, like Miss Mitford did for you.

Welcome to the party!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 3:09:52 PM PST
Miss M says:
Really glad it worked for you, Lynn. I could tell you all kinds of silly computer things I've done over the years...but I won't bore you! ;)

Also, if you run into technical problems again, you can try the Kindle Help Forum - there are quite a few Kindle Pro volunteers who post there and they can usually answer questions pretty quickly.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna

Enjoy your kindle
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Feb 13, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions