Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire "Low Memory" warning

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 15, 2012 6:28:41 AM PDT
a_dizzle says:
My Kindle Fire just started giving me Low Memory warnings randomly. I haven't even approached the Max storage space for either apps or other content. How do I fix this?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 6:54:28 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
How many apps do you have installed?

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 6:58:59 AM PDT
a_dizzle says:
I have 41 apps installed. It says I have 800.64 MB of App Storage left and 2.65 GB of Internal Storage left. I wonder if it is because I don't hardly ever turn it off? I'm thinking it is a RAM memory warning versus disk space warning.

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 7:00:39 AM PDT
A. Dietz says:
Have you tried to reboot your Kindle Fire? Press and hold the power button down for 30 seconds, release, and tap it again to start your Kindle. Sometimes that will clear up warnings like you're getting.

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 7:03:40 AM PDT
a_dizzle says:
Hey Yea I tried rebooting just now.. we'll see if that does the trick.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 7:10:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 15, 2012 7:10:36 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
You're on the right track. Unfortunately, the use of the term "memory" has been confused by Apple's practice of referring to storage space as "memory." (Apple doesn't like to talk about RAM because they traditionally "lose" on that score in spec comparisons.) As a result consumers have followed suit and the entire discussion becomes very confused.

What you're running into is not unusual in an Android device. Although the OS is pretty good at clearing memory (RAM) when it's needed, the multitasking in Android isn't perfect and previously used apps can leave some garbage lying around consuming RAM. The warning you're seeing is the result of the OS trying to set aside enough RAM for the CPU.

Try rebooting your KF periodically. (Hold the power button for 30 seconds or so and let the system reboot.) My rule of thumb with Android devices is to do so once or twice a week. If that doesn't eliminate the problem it's likely that you have some apps that are competing for cpu cycles in the background. Take a look at stuff like updating weather, news, and email. They can sometimes collide in demanding cpu cycles.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 7:18:31 PM PDT
Mr. Fred says:
Actually it may simply be very poor programming of the Kindle Fire. If you have a lot of book purchased (and I do) you will fill the entire application memory with the thumbnails (and perhaps whatever other pertinent data required to access the book) of these books even though they reside in the cloud and not on the Fire. This is amazingly sloppy programming by Amazon and pretty stupid of them to tell you they don't want you to buy that many books. It simply makes the Fire unusable. Amazon is well aware of the issue and simply has not fixed it to date. I'm pretty fed up about it and feel I should be refunded for a useless Fire product due to this sloppy programming.You can temporarily free the memory by clearing the data, but it will fill up again quickly.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 7:25:05 PM PDT
Rogue says:
Tap the gear, then more, then applications. See how many applications are "running" in the background even though you've exited out. You will be surprised at how many do not truly shut down on exit. Tap on all apps not being used and force close them. Ignore the warning of dire consequences as a result of you actions as nothing can be harmed by closing it. If you were to close everything and the device became unresponsive, just hold the power button down for 20-30 seconds until device shuts off, then restart. NO harm, no foul. Minimum required with system idle should be around 4 or 5. Glenn

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2013 5:52:32 PM PDT
logan hepper says:
What do I do

Posted on Apr 25, 2014 12:04:49 AM PDT
Sue says:
My kindle says "no memory" yes I have a lot of books but no games. When the scan ran it showed memory being used on dept.that had nothing in them like audiobooks, video,doc,and other. How do I clean them out so I can use the memory on books?

Posted on Apr 25, 2014 11:39:44 AM PDT
I have the same problem as Clyde. Low on Storage and the only thing I have downloaded is 2 books and about 7/30 minute episodes of a show. Cant figure out how to delete them either.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2014 1:20:17 PM PDT
New Girl says:
First, to delete an item from the fire (app, book, video) touch the icon and hold until a menu pops up. It will have an option for 'remove from device'.

The best way that I have found to keep your fire running smoothly and avoid memory issues is to use the free app Clean Master.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2014 7:24:20 PM PDT
Sue says:
I told you about a problem on the 25 April..since I haven't heard from you I started asking around. Seams this is a common problem. Turning it off and on doesn't work. I got an app called clean sweep. It worked for me. It said that when you download something and then deleted it part of it stays. The kindle says nothing is there. I ran it and it took me to 75 per cent. I took all my book off of device to cloud only and ran it again and I go 45 per cent. This worked for me hope it does for you.

Posted on Jun 5, 2014 5:46:07 PM PDT
Robert says:
My kindle has about 30 apps on it and has plenty of application space but no installation space. When I try to download things it doesn't work and says that installation space is full. What can I do besides delete things and turn off apps?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2015 9:49:05 AM PST
WM says:
I use Clean Master several times in a week and I am here trying to find a solution for "extremely low memory"
I agree with Mr. Fred Amazon. Will Do nothing.

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 11:14:59 AM PST
Cheryl Jones says:
this is a customer forum. amazon is not here. click on the help link at the top of the page to get to customer service
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Apr 15, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 23, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions