Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

RAOK is 60, and Time to Look Back

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 29, 2013 6:51:48 AM PDT
RAOK is 60, and it's time for some introspection

When Virgoddess decided, almost two years ago now, that she was having a bad day and was going to cheer herself up by being nice to someone and gifting them a book as a surprise, she never dreamed that she had created a monster. But here we are... 60 `rooms' later, with our own customs and traditions; a group of people that have established inside jokes and firm friendships, and we can anticipate more to come, I'm sure.

But, on the down side - inevitibly - we've lost friends. Some have moved on by choice. Others have been dragged away kicking and screaming by Real Life; a very harsh taskmaster. One has even passed away. Yet others have simply faded into the background and seldom visit any more. This thread is dedicated to all those people - friends that we still remember, though we haven't seen them in a long time. So, let's take a moment to think of these people and wish them well, wherever they are. First, there's Deanna, who passed away last fall. Joyce has moved on to her own chat group, and taken Avi with her. AnnieB has left the forums. Virgoddess, VIKA, SoulSong, and LivingOurLoveSong have been called away permanently due to the pressures of life and family. And we mustn't forget Bryden and his wardrobe. And with Bryden, we can't forget his partners in crime, Becks and Cher. HIA and Lara almost never stop in. Remember Loves2Read (Karen)? And Jamel - who could forget her and Archie? SmartMosey (Dar) still participates on FB. Krista. Ashe. Amberle. And our most recent loss - Stoneheart and her big boy Bane. (I'm stopping here, but if anyone has a name they want added, just let me know.)

On the bright side - there always has to be a bright side - we have gained so many new frineds recently. It's a pleasure to have met a frisky Golden Retriever Lover; and erudite and funny MoniCa. And MoniKat and her crazy kittens. Juligee doesn't stop in too often, but she's always welcomed when she does. The doors are always open for new friends. (Again, let me know if there are any names you want added here.)

Now, down to business... the usual warnings, tips and tricks:

What does RAoK mean? I'm glad you asked! It stands for "Random Acts of Kindness". We try to keep Kindness (with a capital K) as our motto. We welcome all newcomers and you will find that we discuss anything and (nearly) everything. This is a supportive group and we welcome chat but insist that it remain civil and as polite as possible.

To participate, you don't have to do a thing (except make sure your wish list is public!) You are under no obligation to buy anyone anything. If you receive a book, it's nice to say thank you here and include a link to the book (it's our best source of reading ideas!) This isn't about repaying, or anything like that. It's about giving - a shoulder, a book, a smile.

To send a book, simply click on the username here in the forum of the person you want to gift to. Scroll down, and you will hopefully see their wish list. Click on "see all x items" to pull up their entire list (do NOT click a book jacket from their profile page). You will see a yellow button, under the title saying "give as a gift" and click that. It will take you to the message screen, where you can change the "from" name, and add a note. Their email address will be "hidden" for privacy, but it will be sent to them.

To make your wish list public, pull up the list and there is a quick link on the upper right of every page, titled "Wish List" directly under the "Your Account" link. Click that. It will take you to your wish list. Directly under the title of your wish list, you will see a drop down menu, titled "Manage this list". Click that, and in the drop down, click "Change Privacy Settings" and make sure it says "Make list public".

SAFETY TIPS and INFORMATION: Follow the above instructions to get to your wish list. Again, click the "Manage this list" drop down menu. This time, select "Edit Settings" and this will bring you to a screen that shows your privacy settings. The name you see on the Name line is the name that is shown to people you GIFT books to. Simply change it to the name you're comfortable with and save. This will prevent your full name from being displayed on your gifts.

To make your wish list visible from your profile, you have to go into your profile and edit it. You need to change the middle section (wish list and registries) to show everyone. If you have that set to private but your wish list public, others can find your wish list through the search, but not your profile. If you change that wish list setting on your profile to everyone, you'll be good to go. That just makes the list visible from the profile, it doesn't change any other privacy settings you have.

To change your Account Name, you have to go to Your Account in the upper right corner then Change Account Settings and edit your name. This won't affect anything that I can see except what it shows at the top of the page when it says "Hi Cyndie" instead of "Hi Cyndie MyLastName". And all people will see on their Digital Orders that send me any gifts is Cyndie, not Cyndie MyLastName." (this last one is important, since it doesn't change anything in YOUR view, lots of people end up having their real names showing on their WL instead of their screen names. Also, you need to make that change separately for EACH public wish list.) It sounds complicated, but it really isn't, and it's well worth a few minutes' work.

Finally, always remember RAOK's don't have to be books. They can be anything you do here or off the forum in your actual lives to do something nice for someone. No one is "keeping score" either. If someone does something nice for you, just find a way to pass it on.

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 6:53:21 AM PDT
MB says:
Hello!

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 6:54:01 AM PDT
seedlady says:
you got the final one, SEPPIE! alpha and omega!

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 6:54:08 AM PDT
FreeDove says:
Howdy!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2013 6:55:38 AM PDT
MB says:
Good job!

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 6:55:57 AM PDT
MB says:
Time to go to my meeting. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2013 6:56:59 AM PDT
First the final post of #59 has got to be the best I have seen. Perfect timing!!! And thank you for a wonderful start to the new room. Thanks for mentioning me and my furry friends. *smile*

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 6:57:13 AM PDT
FreeDove says:
Pipe must be finishing his cigarette, :op

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 6:57:16 AM PDT
K-Dub says:
Beautiful start, SEP!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2013 6:58:35 AM PDT
FreeDove says:
Bye MB, hope your meeting goes well!

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 6:59:02 AM PDT
seedlady says:
i had thought of "now we are six" tee as the title.

*a.a.milne homage

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2013 6:59:17 AM PDT
FreeDove says:
Super job!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2013 6:59:21 AM PDT
Denise says:
I looked away for three minutes, figuring I would get in on the end, but you guys zipped away!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2013 7:00:19 AM PDT
Denise says:
yeah, cute :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2013 7:00:31 AM PDT
FreeDove says:
Did some of our peeps get lost on the way over?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2013 7:01:24 AM PDT
I think Pipe was around just to get out his yawns and burps.... LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2013 7:02:25 AM PDT
seedlady says:
it's possible. or maybe they have to go to work.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2013 7:03:31 AM PDT
FreeDove says:
Evidently,lol

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 7:04:29 AM PDT
SEP! just peeking in and find an incredible opening! I love the tribute to those that had been involved to help firm the foundation of the place I now call family. Awesome words, awesome idea! Thank you for moving us forward in such a classy manner!

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 7:05:14 AM PDT
FreeDove says:
I have been awake since 2:30 so I am going to try to sneak in a nap. BBL

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 7:05:30 AM PDT
Grl says:
Ok mouse is working, but computer acting weird. I cannot believe it's on its way out when it's only 2 years old!!

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 7:06:56 AM PDT
seedlady says:
ok, here is the CVS post. skip if you don't shop there.

they just discontinued their green bag tag program, and the final time you use it you will get a $2ecb. this week, if you scan your card at the red kiosk, you get an ecb for 99 cents off a 99 cent hershey or mars bar. so, scan, get the candy, and scan your leaf for its last hurrah, and get 2 dollars off your next purchase. i used mine for 2 packs of iced tea mix from their dollar area.

back to regular programming.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2013 7:09:18 AM PDT
Thank you for that information.... I have two of them. I liked the program. It was a far better incentive than Target (tho I do bring my bags there to save the 5c per bag)

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 7:09:55 AM PDT
GnomeEd says:
morning. good or bad I'm not sure yet. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2013 7:12:27 AM PDT
seedlady says:
any time. ( i'm the cvs mod on another forum.)

in fact, google, seedlady and wagon train will find me.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  53
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Apr 29, 2013
Latest post:  May 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions