Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Some Paperwhite glitches I've noticed

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 7, 2012 1:53:30 AM PDT
First off, love the lighted screen, and I hope the replacement PW that will arrive Monday doesn't have the hot spot on the side that my current one has.

However, there are a few glitches that I've noticed, and was wondering if anyone else is also experiencing the same thing.

First glitch is that from time to time, when I tap the righthand side of the book to advance forward, my PW will skip forward much further ahead then it should. This will even happen when I tap to go backwards as well, only instead of backwards, it will once again skip forward quite a bit.

Second, and to keep track of this "skipping", since when it happens, it's easier to relocate my last place in the book using Locations, I decided to keep my Reading Progress set to "Locations" instead of "Time Left in Chapter". but for some reason, my PW will periodically revert back to "Time Left in Chapter".

Anyone else having these issues. or others?

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 2:34:33 AM PDT
vshow says:
I can't really list any specifics, but I have noticed an overall sluggishness with the touch functionality. Maybe it is just me getting used to a capacitive touch as compared to the Kindle Touch technology. I remember how the first big firmware upgrade improved the overall performance of the Touch and hope that in 3-6 months we get an update to the PW that fixes the little things like what you noticed. I think I have seen the "Time left in chapter" thing also but since I have been 'playing with the new toy' as much as reading, I just sort of half noticed it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012 3:04:34 AM PDT
Yes, I had these same two issues last night, and I'm hoping they come out with a firmware update soon to fix them.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012 3:36:08 AM PDT
SeaLevel274 says:
I haven't encountered either of those two issues. A couple of times I accidentally did a stutter tap and it's turned two pages. The view for the bottom left has only changed when I've toggled between the 3 settings by taping on it there.

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 4:20:08 AM PDT
funny says:
Mine has been skipping pages. I haven't noticed the time thing.

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 5:54:11 AM PDT
J. Davidson says:
You can change the Time to Read item either by the menu or by tapping on the lower left corner of the screen. You may be tapping on that corner by accident and thereby changing the Time to Read function.

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 6:04:39 AM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
I have been very happy with the touch responsiveness of the PW -- and this from an iPad owner, which is the gold standard for touch screen performance.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012 6:28:28 AM PDT
JC says:
Me, too. I was worried that the Kindle screen would require more of a press compared to an iPad screen but the lightest of taps turns the page. Very happy with the touch on the Paperwhite.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 3:23:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2013 3:45:06 AM PST
paulus says:
I'm on my second kindle paperwhite. SAME touch problems of skipping forward or backward randomly. I know it's not me. I've read enough other people on the comments site to know this is a problem for others as well. Frustrated, as I love everything about the paperwhite, but this skipping pages problem doesn't annoy, it kills the purpose of the device: to read a book.

Posted on Apr 22, 2013 2:19:45 PM PDT
I too have the random page skipping problem when tapping on the RHS of the screen. Then when trying to get back by tapping on the LHS it goes back for a couple but then goes forward again. The same pages keep showing as though it is stuck in a loop. It is so frustrating trying to get back to the position you were in ! I will now use the back arrow instead as someone suggested.

Posted on May 22, 2013 6:49:12 PM PDT
I have had the same page skipping problem. I thought I was loosing my mind, I am happy to hear I am not the only one. I contacted customer service and they had me do a factory reset. That seemed to help but after a month or two it started skipping again. So once again I contacted customer service and they sent me a new one, complete with prepaid label to send old one back. Needless to say I was shocked but so thankful and happy. Fingers crossed that this one works.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2013 11:30:53 AM PST
RC says:
I am on my second one too. The first one had to be sent back for repairs. This one is also skipping ahead several pages randomly. It also skips forward again when I am trying to go back after it happens. ALSO,the battery seems to go more quickly than the old Kindle.... what happened to 8 weeks? I hardly use the light and only turn on wifi to DL a new book.

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 11:42:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2013 11:44:29 AM PST
texas girl says:
Of all the techy tools I have, the Paperwhite is the one I would most hate to lose. However, it has developed a tiny pinhole of bright light in the center. Knew there was nothing I could do to fix so I just read anyway. I refuse to let this one out of my sight for repair!! Have another non-Paperwhite Kindle which I could NEVER go back to. Once you get accustomed to black type on white instead of black type on grey, there is no turning back.

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 11:47:57 AM PST
My Wife's PW would skip MANY pages at a time. Amazon sent her a new one right away. (Talk about customer service!!!) The tech told me it is a known issue

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2013 12:26:06 PM PST
paulus says:
Know what you mean. Picked up my son's older kindle and wondered how I ever read on it!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2013 12:27:40 PM PST
Just Peachy says:
That is 8 weeks of 30 minutes per day reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2013 12:28:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2013 12:28:30 PM PST
Just Peachy says:
If it is still under warranty contact Customer Service for a replacement. They will send you a new one and THEN you send back the old one.

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 1:01:22 PM PST
Mine has skipped a few pages off and one - once it skipped a couple chapters. Until I read this I thought I was dragging my finger across the screen (I didn't think so but figured it was probably my fault).

I keep it on the night stand next to the bed most of the time - very often it will come out of sleep mode by just moving it (without touching the power button). I "thought" that was when I might have been advancing the pages... maybe not.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for the Original Kindle Paperwhite
0 Jul 1, 2015
Announcement
News: Kindle for Android app Update 4.13 Now Available
0 Jun 25, 2015
Announcement
Amazon Introduces New Kindle Paperwhite: The Most Popular Kindle, Now Even Better
0 Jun 18, 2015
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
RAOK 82 has a spring in its step! 7235 30 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat - August 2015 39 32 minutes ago
I recieved the wrong book 6 33 minutes ago
Book won't download to Kindle App 129 35 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 3083 41 minutes ago
Fire Tv has no sound on HDMI 2 115 1 hour ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 8262 2 hours ago
Printing out the kindle book list 24 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Oct 7, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 27, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions