Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lori Mckenna Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Debating on buying a new kindle...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 10, 2014 7:41:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2014 7:45:09 AM PST
TJ in Texas says:
I currently have the old normal Kindle Fire. (not HD or HDX) I've had problems with it for 2 years but love it. It randomly reboots, sometimes won't turn on, and now, even though it's playing and audible book, I cannot turn on the screen or reboot the thing.. it just keeps playing... book finally ended so it stopped, but now it won't take a charge, or do anything at all when you push and hold the power button. So.. Debating if I should buy the new Kindle HD or HDX, but weary of the random shut down problems. Do the new ones still have this problem? I see in this forum that they had the same problem when they were released. Has it been fixed? I dont' know if I want to buy another one if it will just keep dying on me...Maybe I should just get a tablet with a kindle app...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2014 7:48:48 AM PST
Bufo Calvin says:
TJ, have you spoken with Kindle Support about your issues?

http://www.amazon.com/kindlesupport

Even if you are out of warranty, they can help you troubleshoot and suggest next steps.

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 8:26:06 AM PST
TJ in Texas says:
Yes, It still won't turn on, so I'm giving up on it. So.. Deciding on a kindle fire HD or HDX or maybe just a galaxy tab...

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 9:05:46 AM PST
I think it's a good decision to replace your original Fire. You've gotten good service out of it but it's obsolete and the new ones are far superior in every way. If you're considering a non-Amazon tablet, in addition to the Galaxys, you may want to take a look the Nook HD and HD+. The prices are great and they have both an SD card slot and access to Goggle Play. I have the 9" HD+ and am very pleased with mine. The Kindle for Android app in Google Play works great for reading Kindle books. Also, you can buy an inexpensive pre-configured dual boot SD-card which allows you to run a stock android os on it, such as this one: AndroidForNook (AFN Products, LLC) 32GB Jelly Bean Bootable Android Micro SD Card For Nook HD+ (BNTV600)

One of the sellers here on Amazon is currently offering the 32GB refurb model for $150: Certified Pre-Owned Barnes & Noble NOOK HD+ Tablet 32GB Slate (BNTV600-32GB-CPO) . I just purchased two of them as late Christmas gifts for my daughters.

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 9:31:07 AM PST
bookcrazy says:
If $ is not a concern, check out the iPad as well, especially if you already have an iPhone.

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 2:10:08 PM PST
BJWright says:
Before I bought a Nook I would do alot of research about whether they will still be supported. I don't know which stories are true but there are articles on the internet saying they are losing money for B&N.

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 2:31:47 PM PST
M42 says:
Well, the new HDX reboots randomly when you access wifi, battery life is not so good and the screen has a purple haze along the borders. Some screens have dark splotches. If you are not a Prime customer and read Prime books you may be better off looking at a tablet like the iPad Mini, Nexus 7 or Lenovo Idea Tab 5000. All of those have beautiful screens. If you don't mind having a larger screen the HDX 8.9 doesn't have the problems of its smaller sibling and has a beautiful screen. Also in the larger screen category take a look at the Sony Xperia. Beautiful screen and thin and light.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2014 4:55:51 PM PST
Bufo Calvin says:
BJWright, you can read Barnes & Noble's own press release:

http://www.barnesandnobleinc.com/press_releases/1_9_14_2014_holiday_sales.html

The relevant part:

"The NOOK segment (including digital content, devices and accessories), had revenues of $125 million for the nine-week holiday period, decreasing 60.5% as compared to a year ago. Device and accessories sales were $88.7 million for the holiday period, a decrease of 66.7% from a year ago, due to lower unit selling volume and lower average selling prices. Digital content sales were $36.5 million for the holiday period, a decline of 27.3% compared to a year ago due to lower device unit sales and lower average selling prices."

That doesn't specifically say whether they are losing money for B&N or not: we'll get 3rd quarter results around the end of February, which will should have more specifics.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2014 4:57:11 PM PST
Bufo Calvin says:
M42, neither of our HDXs reboot randomly, and I'm quite pleased with the battery life (since the last update, which extended it considerably). If you having those problems, I would contact Kindle Support:

http://www.amazon.com/kindlesupport

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2014 5:33:36 PM PST
B. Marks says:
For what it's worth, that's not a normal problem with the original Kindle Fire. I have one. I've used it a lot. Last year I got the Fire HD, which has given me just as good service and since then I've been lending my original Fire to friends a lot as well as sometimes using it. It's never had any problems at all.

My Fire HD has also never had a problem.

Also, re that link to the Nook HD+, while that is a very fine tablet, that's a pretty high price for a used one. For $30 more you can get a new one with 32 gig. "Certified pre-owned" is, of course, liar-speak for "second hand".

Personally I think the Kindle Fire HD is the nicer tablet but the Nook does give you Google Play, which is worth a lot, and it's also an excellent tablet. It won't give you Amazon videos, though. But if you get one I'd shy away from a used one from a vendor who's being somewhat dishonest about what he's selling and not giving enough off on it for a used product.

Barry
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 2690 1 minute ago
Potentially Perky People - Part Deux 7831 2 minutes ago
On deck downloads 1 3 minutes ago
what is difference between prime and kindle unlimited? 218 14 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 4185 15 minutes ago
Kindle DX devices being bricked after software update. 13 18 minutes ago
Al's Place 36 Degrees of Separation 2421 20 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 9405 40 minutes ago
Paperwhite/Voyage Battery 7 41 minutes ago
Voyage Battery Dead - replace? 16 45 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Jan 10, 2014
Latest post:  Jan 10, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions