Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD frequently turns itself off, then restarts, during use.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 72 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 5, 2013 8:41:23 AM PST
I've had my Kindle Fire HD over three months and I love it! It has one drawback... at random times during use, it will freeze momentarily, then shut off. It immediately restarts, going thru the usual display of Kindle Fire logo. I then need to re-access whatever app I was using, and it works fine. Well, until the next time it shuts itself off. It can happen as often as every half-hour, or once every couple hours. It does it while I'm watching videos, playing games, searching the Net. I don't recall that it's ever done it while reading. We have broadband wireless at home, but I doubt an internet connection issue would cause a power problem. It does it while connected to the charger, and when not.
This is frustrating. Any ideas?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 11:48:15 AM PST
I've had the same problem since I got my 7" HD for Christmas. I'd be interested in any recommendations.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 6:29:39 PM PST
The same is happening to our device. I have been through 6 Amazon representatives, most not in the US and was even sent a replacement but it is happening to the second device as well. This is extremely frustrating.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 8:32:52 AM PST
J. Grotkopf says:
I received a Kindle Fire HD 8.9" as a holiday gift and I am experiencing the same uncommanded power-off issues. Virtually every time I initially power it up from a "cold" start or from "hibernating", the Kindle will power off within the first minute of use. This happens regardless of what I am doing (navigating through apps or set it down).

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 10:07:21 AM PST
Rose Purple says:
I have a similar issue, but Fire HD 7" tends to go into hibernation randomly, sometimes you can still hear the sound of whatever was open at the time. I have tried the suggestions taht i have found online, but it continues happening.

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 11:09:47 AM PST
I received the Kindle HD for Christmas and I am having the same "shutting down" issues. Mostly while reading or playing games. Any solutions to this issues would be greatly appreciated. Seems at least I am not alone :)

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 11:28:25 AM PST
My advice for all who have responded so far, in addition to the OP of course, is to contact Kindle Customer Support and have your devices either diagnosed (and hopefully fixed), or even completely replaced since continued random shut downs of any Kindle device, Fire or otherwise, is not normal at all.

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 4:04:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2013 4:05:11 AM PST
I am experiencing the same issue...very frustrating...will call customer service!

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 4:05:38 AM PST
!

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 5:32:10 PM PST
I am having the same issues; I got a notification about low memory so I uninstall some apps but it didn't help.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 1:29:39 PM PDT
My Kindle fire HD of three months started doin the same thing today. Any solutions?? Plz help!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 1:40:20 PM PDT
Mike says:
Yes, what Bryan said above: contact Kindle customer service. Start with the "help" link at the top of the page.

Posted on Jun 6, 2013 5:06:48 PM PDT
Sue says:
Did anyone contact customer service. mine just started doing this. Had it only 2 months

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 10:00:13 PM PDT
Bob says:
I had mine for 7 months and it turns off after getting charge and playing games what should I do?

Posted on Jul 11, 2013 2:34:28 PM PDT
HI everyone, I saw that lots of people were having the same problem and I am too so I called Amazon support. Really nice lady (her name is Carrie) went through the only troubleshooting step they have (hard reset, hold power button 20 seconds, let go, had me turn it back on.) Unfortunately the shut down happened again so she sent my info to the Amazon "engineers" and will call me back on Monday. I'll re-post here when I have more info.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2013 2:52:04 PM PDT
can hardly wait to hear what they tell you. I am so very disappointed in my Kindle Fire

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 3:44:58 PM PDT
Well, she called me back but I was outside and didn't get to the phone before she hung up. Tried calling back but they're having system downtime right now...yay. I'm supposed to call back in an hour, hopefully I can get in contact with someone, I'd really like to know what the heck the deal is. Since I called, the problem has only been getting worse. Though I noticed it never happens while I have it plugged in/charging so I'm wondering if it's a battery issue. Anyone else notice that?

I also noticed my battery is always below 50% when it happens. I have watched the percentage go from 50% to 49% and immediately shut itself off but usually it's not quite that predictable.

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 6:18:11 PM PDT
All right, I got a hold of them again. Spoke with a nice young man named Tyler. The engineers say it's a hardware problem relating to the battery. They're sending me a new one via 2-day shipping and I'll be sending my current one back via the same box and a free return shipping label I can print out. Tyler assured me that all of my apps and anything else on my current Kindle Fire that came directly from amazon will be saved on the cloud drive so I'll be able to get it all on the new one when it's ready to boot up. Anything that did not come directly from Amazon will have to be procured again, I don't have anything that didn't come from Amazon so I'm not worried about it but I figured some of you might have something like that so I included it here.

Tyler also assured me that the engineering department will get my kindle when I send it back and they'll take it apart and find out where exactly the problem lies so they can determine how best to stop the problem from happening to anyone else (and/or my replacement) in the future.

So if you're having this problem and you have not already done so, I would advise calling and explaining the problem and getting your replacement so the engineers have more to work with and so we can all save ourselves future hassles.

Good luck everyone!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2013 12:48:52 PM PDT
anonymous says:
I had the same problem and was sent a new kindle fire hd last week. Unfortunately, the new one is doing the exact same thing, only this time instead of shutting off when it reaches under 50%, it now shuts off when the battery reaches 75%. I am so thoroughly fed up. I am calling amazon again and will post any new info.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2013 9:19:30 PM PDT
I would never ever recommend a Kindle to anyone. I purchased mine from best buy so can't even return it to Amazon.

Posted on Aug 11, 2013 1:11:30 PM PDT
k9vms says:
I've just received my replacement Kindle as the first one kept turning itself off. Had to reload all the games and start again from scratch (which my children were very upset about!) and low and behold, this one does exactly the same. Gutted and cross!

Posted on Sep 3, 2013 9:00:14 PM PDT
Texas family says:
We bought our first one at Best Buy but were still able to get a replacement through Amazon. It's worth it to try. My one son is on his 3rd one and it is finally working fine. We think it was the car charger. We haven't used it on this one and all is good. My other son has one and is having the turning off problem. Think I am going to call and get a replacement. I have had nothing but great customer service from Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2013 9:05:38 PM PDT
So my replacement had the turning itself off problem is well. Amazon has excellent customer service but if this 3rd one I just got starts having the problem I'm gonna have to get a refund, sure everything is on the cloud but nothing done in any of the apps is saved on the cloud so everything starts all over again. I lost quite a bit of data for a project I'm working on and I just don't think my hair could handle it if it happens again and again and again.
My daughter still has her regular KindleFire and has had no issues with it whatsoever, maybe I would have them send me one of those and just refund the difference if the issue pops up with this 3rd one.
I have never used a car charger for any of mine.

Posted on Oct 20, 2013 2:05:00 PM PDT
TSP says:
I'm having the same issue. When I tried to use the chat feature to contact Amazon support for this, the agent had me clear all my data in the Applications launcher, then asked me to replicate the problem. But of course since this is an intermittent problem, I couldn't replicate it for her, and she claimed it was the first time she'd ever heard of this problem. She basically called me a liar. So... for those of you that got a replacement, did you phone them or...?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2013 2:34:57 PM PDT
anonymous says:
Yes. I did call and now have my 4th kindle fire about 4months. No issues so far. Be persistent.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Update 4.9 Now Available
0 2 days ago
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
60 11 days ago
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
RAOK 82 has a spring in its step! 2352 1 minute ago
This is new -- Kindle for Kids Bundle 8 11 minutes ago
How is the text-to-speech 10 11 minutes ago
We're So Quirky, Our Chihuahuas Ride Bicycles! So Geese and Tally Ho! 9050 30 minutes ago
Older eyes 4 30 minutes ago
Why can I not remove books 2 30 minutes ago
elmo's eggs-alent echo email emporium 17 31 minutes ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 3442 32 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  51
Total posts:  72
Initial post:  Jan 5, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 25, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 26 customers

Search Customer Discussions