Industrial-Sized Deals Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on Tikes
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

How do I get and install GO Launcher Ex ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2011 10:42:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2011 10:45:54 AM PST
Ken says:
Might somebody here provide step-by-step instructions regarding how to do this with a Kindle Fire? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 10:42:45 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 14, 2012 11:31:21 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 11:09:10 AM PST
Get it from the App store, exactly like any other application for the Fire. (If you don't know how to download and run an app, you're not ready to try a different launcher yet.)

When you select it, it will download and install automatically. Click on it in your Apps page to run it.

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 11:18:14 AM PST
Ken says:
1) I have enabled Allow Installation of Applications From Unknown Sources
2) I go to Apps > Store
3) I search the Apps store for Go Launcher Ex, which then appears in the list
4) I tap on GO Launcher Ex
5) The app GO Weather appears on my screen for downloading

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 11:21:00 AM PST
T. Anderson says:
Well you wouldn't need to allown installation from unknown sources since the amazon app store is the "known" source. Sounds like an odd little marketplace bug. You could always just do it on your computer and it would show up in your fire.

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 11:28:49 AM PST
Malachi says:
I've not tried, and I'm probably not going to. But, Amazon has the device locked down and I suspect to install a different launcher you're going to have to root the device first.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 11:31:55 AM PST
T. Anderson says:

The whole carousel view is just a launcher. You can download another launcher and switch to it just like you would on any android phone.

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 11:34:55 AM PST
Malachi says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 11:40:25 AM PST
Malachi says:
Well, you're right. I stand corrected. I just searched on 'launcher'. The only one to come up was 'Claystone Launcher', which installed with no problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 11:55:25 AM PST
Ken says:
Others here have said that they installed Go Launcher Ex and made it their default Home screen on the Kindle Fire. I'd still be interested to hear exactly how they did that. Anybody?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 12:01:07 PM PST
T. Anderson says:
Like I said, you just download it from the store and run it. You have to hit home to use it (so open an app or something and hit home) when it pops up what launcher you want to use select the go launcher.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 12:01:08 PM PST
Janeway says:
Ken, I saw Go Launcher EX listed yesterday as compatible with the Fire on the 1-click process, but today it is definitely x'd out and no longer listed as compatible. Guess I'm glad I waited...maybe there were issues.

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 12:06:13 PM PST
Malachi says:
Well, if GO Launcher was there, it's definitely not showing up now. At least, I'm not finding it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 12:20:35 PM PST
T. Anderson says:
Ah I see.

I'd actually go the other way and regret not getting it when you had the chance. Amazon likely just didn't want anyone using a different launcher.

@Ken - Even if Go Launcher is gone there are still plenty of other launchers that would replace the default fire one. As Malachi said you could try Claystone or any of the others that come up when you search for launcher. Just make sure it is an actual launcher and not just a theme (it would say theme).

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 12:23:33 PM PST
deannah says:
It's still there. I installed it yesterday on the Fire and it's worked flawlessly since.

GO Launcher EX

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 12:25:28 PM PST
I did it just like I described. I selected it, installed it, and ran it with no problems on Thursday. It's still there and working - I can switch back and forth between that and the Kindle Launcher at will.

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 12:26:06 PM PST
deannah says:
I see it is now "X"d out when yesterday it was checked. But like I said, it has worked fine, no crashes or problems so far.

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 1:35:24 PM PST
Ken says:
If Go Launcher EX could be installed on Thursday and can't be installed now, it sounds like a stealth 'update' may have taken place.

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 2:12:25 PM PST
I downloaded Go Launcher yesterday (while it was still available apparently) and the one reason I uninstalled it is because I couldn't access my Home and Archive in my Kindle application. All I could access was the current book I was reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 5:54:20 PM PST
There was no update to the Fire, they simply changed the status of the App in the Store. Some are flagged compatible, others not.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2011 6:12:13 PM PST
it's not available in the amazon app store on the fire anymore

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2011 6:12:26 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 6, 2011 6:13:16 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 9:58:45 AM PST
L. Stevens says:
You can get it at the "go dev team" website. If your having trouble doing it on the kindle, do it on your computer and transfer manually. You can swap between the two launchers at will by pressing the home button after installation. Using an older version of the launcher will make your kindle freeze up, so be sure to get 2.51 or which ever is the newest (the developers websites has the most recent for free). I go back and forth, the kindle launcher for shop/reading and the go launcher for productivity (quick access, everything needed for a task right there without having to look).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 11:20:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2011 11:21:31 AM PST
art says:
I was going to suggest this, but when I go to the download link on their website, it sends me to the Android Market page for it, which doesn't let you download the apk directly, only set it up to be sent to your device (so it won't help anyone who doesn't have an android device set up in there). You can download the related packages but not the actual launcher.

Or am I missing something? I went to, clicked on the English link, then the launcher "download" button which took me to another screen with a "download" button which takes me to the market... OH... heh heh, yes I am missing something! if I don't pick English, I can guess what the correct buttons are to press to get to the right place, and it lets me download the APK directly.

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 10:26:58 AM PST
L. Stevens says:
Forgot - I did a few things at the same time ( widgets will download direct, not go launcher sorry)

Since you want to download from a place you trust, like the original developer, your best bet is a side loading app like appbrain. Download the appbrain app, connect with gmail, facebook, etc. Search and download within the app.

You'll have to use your own judgement where to download it from, but it should look like com. G a u .go.launcherex-1. A p k ( no space or capitals).
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
56 22 hours ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 Sep 18, 2015
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 Sep 18, 2015
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Read aloud function??? 8 2 minutes ago
How do i delete books for good from my kindle 11 3 minutes ago
The Quirkier, The Better! Bring Your Dogs, Cats, Exploding Chickens, So Geese, Fighting Turkeys, Goats, Fluffy Sheep, Cows, Velvet Monkeys, Big Honking Bats, Fishlettes And Cherie! Tally Ho! 4702 5 minutes ago
Increase MENU text size for the visually impaired? 17 6 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 3964 7 minutes ago
FREE Books and Chat (FB&C) November 2015 987 9 minutes ago
Amazon kindle fire 2 17 minutes ago
Kindle Voyage 2 302 17 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions