Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

New to this, Kindle Fire or Leappad2 for 6 year old

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2012 7:00:22 AM PST
I was wondering if anybody could give me advice as to if the Kindle Fire would be a good reading tool for a beginning reader (Kindergarten)? Does it read the books to you if you chose to do it that way? Are there a good selection of learning apps I could get also? I have been looking at the new leapfrog leappad2 tablet also, but for the price I feel a Kindle/tablet will grow with him where the leappad he will grow out of? Any suggestions?

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:38:29 AM PST
The Fire will definitely grow with him, some books will read to him, the books that are apps do more than that with interactive games in the book. There are lots of apps that teach reading, and math and more. My experience with leappad is that the content is limited and expensive, and they are always coming out with new products, so that it is hard to find content for older Leappads, Karen

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:56:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 7:58:46 AM PST
Karen makes some good points, but I'd like to add some caveats:

Kindle Fires are not toys. There are several people I've seen come onto this forum and complain because they lent their Kindle to their kid/nephew/grandchild, and they broke it... and accidental damage is not covered by Amazon's basic warantee. Kindle Fires are definitely not accident-proof, and they do have glass screens which can shatter dangerously (believe me, it can hurt - it happened once to me with my cell phone), so it would be advisable to invest in a very good impact-resistant case and probably a screen protector as well.

And while there are some great apps for kids, there are many more that are adults-only. So unlike with the Leapfrog or similar kids' tablets (there are some aimed at older kids; yes they are more expensive) you will have to be proactive at managing account/store access. Unless you do, your son will be able to access everything you have bought, and be able to buy things himself without needing your permission first. So if you do go with the Fire, get an HD model, because there are features built-in which restrict access and also limit the time per day a person can spend playing games instead of reading. As a note, though, I do think the FreeTime feature is supposed to come to the current-generation non-HD Fire as well, it's just not there yet.

Other than that, the Kindle Fire does have many positive features, including many good color children's books, which include read-aloud features which can really help with learning to read. If you would like to know what specific apps, books and other media are available, you can browse them now from the Amazon site under the appropriate section, where you can filter by age-appropriateness or the "educational" category.

Karen is right that the Kindle is more likely to grow with him, I just personally feel like entrusting a device not designed to be child-resistant could be a bad venture, depending on the kid. Some 6 year-olds, I'm sure, are responsible enough to treat the Fire as it needs to be treated, but others probably aren't, and you're the only one who can be the judge of that.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 8:03:36 AM PST
Cyndie says:
My daughter had planned on getting her 4-year-old son and twin three-year-old girls Fire HDs for Christmas but just recently changed her mind and is getting them Leap Pad 2's. They are still a little too rough with electronic things for her to feel comfortable they wouldn't have broken the Fires.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:07:26 AM PST
For what it's worth, I think your daughter made the right decision. Unless the 3 year olds are very precocious they are too young for a Fire. Same thing with the 4 year old. I think a device designed especially for that age group is more appropriate.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:17:57 AM PST
Cyndie says:
I agree. I was nervous about them getting Fires. One on one, they are fine but the three of them together can egg each other into things they wouldn't do by themselves.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions