Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle paperwhite updated, no longer showing percentage complete at bottom of hte page

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 74 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 27, 2014 3:04:59 PM PDT
Hi, Seems my Paperwhite just got an automatic update. Now the bottom of the page is blank. no location, no percentage complete. They were there Friday, now, after the update, they are gone. How can I get them back?

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 3:14:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2014 3:14:53 PM PDT
Artist says:
tap on the bottom left corner of the screen until you see the display that you want.

ETA: "corner"

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 3:47:54 PM PDT
That did it, thanks!

Posted on May 27, 2014 4:03:34 PM PDT
Artist says:
You're welcome.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 4:48:30 PM PDT
K. Hawkins says:
So what happened to the "minutes left in chapter". I have not seen that since the update. But not too sure if that is due to the book?

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 4:56:36 PM PDT
Captain says:
I had to reset this after the update also, and I found that option still available under "Reading Progress" on the screen you get when you use the three horizontal bars at the right side of the menu bar at the top. I use the percentage completed one.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 5:19:33 PM PDT
Artist says:
Did you keep tapping on the bottom left corner?

Posted on May 27, 2014 9:53:56 PM PDT
K. Hawkins says:
Captain...I will check that. Thank you.
The Artist...I have taped over and over. It gives me an actual page number, which is new for me. Then there is the time left "in book", but not for chapter. I'm not good with change!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2014 3:30:48 PM PDT
Anne says:
Had the same problem with my almost new Paperwhite . Thanks for the help

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2014 4:26:26 PM PDT
You'll only see the "Time left in chapter" if the book has been divided into chapters by the publisher. Some books don't have the chapters actually marked, so the Kindle doesn't know how long they are.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2014 8:48:45 PM PDT
thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2014 9:29:04 AM PST
Thank you. It worked.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2015 3:50:34 AM PST
geordie boy says:
did it for me too! thanks.

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 3:35:59 AM PST
Paul K. Wein says:
I just started reading Brain Web by Douglas and no page numbers. Only location and percentage. Tapping brings up other things like learn to spead read but no numbers. Problem across all devices: iPhone, paper white, and iPad.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2015 3:47:31 AM PST
loriltx says:
Could be the publisher did not make real page numbers available. Check the product page--it will usually say if "real page numbers" are available.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2015 3:47:58 AM PST
flipoid says:
That just means that the publisher did not code the file for page numbers. Not all books have them.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2015 4:05:36 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
That's because it doesn't have page numbers available.

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 6:00:56 AM PDT
I've checked the product page and it says that "real page numbers" are included on the book I'm reading. No matter how many times I tap the corner, check the menu bar, etc, etc, there are no page numbers. So it's not that I can't find the page numbers, they're not there. Anyone else have this problem?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2015 6:09:23 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
did you download the book via usb or wirelessly?

Posted on Apr 6, 2015 4:22:36 AM PDT
thanks, happy me too! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2015 4:36:16 AM PDT
The page numbers are downloaded as a separate file from the e-book itself, and that only via wi-fi.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2015 9:49:56 AM PDT
Hugh Yonn says:
Excellent...
Many thanks...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2015 6:36:04 PM PDT
Scott says:
I am still extremely dubious of this explanation because it doesn't really make a lot of sense from a number of perspectives, not the least of which is a development one. Having a metafile to track progress through a book, which might also include the last page number read, would certainly be plausible enough, but having to open two separate files and then be constantly cross-referencing between them while reading a book just doesn't seem like a good way to approach a problem such as this. Especially when a much easier solution would be to just use HTML comments in the books themselves to mark page boundaries.

So I'm curious about what people base this explanation on. Is there a page somewhere on Amazon's site that explains exactly how real page numbers are implemented or a comment from an Amazon Kindle software developer? Because as it is, it smacks of someone mistaking a metafile that happens to have a page number in it as the source of the page numbers. While that is certainly one possible solution to the problem, it would create so many other issues you'd have to contend with as a developer, I cannot imagine why anyone would do it that way. So, anyone care to share the source material for this "separate file" answer?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2015 7:05:26 PM PDT
CBRetriever says:
early methodology explained here:

http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2011/04/q-kindle-tips-kindles-real-page-numbers.html

http://mashable.com/2011/03/16/kindle-real-pages-explained/

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2015 6:36:22 AM PDT
Scott says:
So anything from say, Amazon or even a publisher? Something a bit more authoritative than random blog posts? People still believe the information they read on grc.com is from an actual computer security expert, not some guy who's cried wolf so many times based on half-assed analysis he's the laughing stock of the computer security world. I don't really have the time to properly vet the technical prowess of the people at either link, so they could well be spot on, they could be right for all the wrong reasons or they could be completely full of it.

Having a metafile with pagenumbers would work if, for some reason, you didn't want to update the book file, like if a publisher went under and the rights for the book were pending the fire sale. But it would be a completely asinine method of doing it for all books. It'd be so much easier to just pick the first word off of every page in a printed book and add a comment or even a custom XML tag inside the book marking that word as a page boundary. It saves you from having to cross reference two files, all the overhead associated with opening/closing files, not to mention it keeps your code simple as a developer and it's easier on publishers who only have to maintain a single file. You just have a <page> tag or some such and then the firmware can increment an integer variable every time it hits one of those, making a new page. Then you just have something in the header telling the software to set the upper limit on that integer variable. Probably a couple dozen lines of code, tops, compared to having to test for a file that may or may not exist, open it if it does or fall back on creating fake page numbers if it doesn't, then checking the current location of the book against the mark in the metafile every single time someone loads a new page of text. Plus there's the additional bandwidth and storage issues. Sure, it may not be a very big file, but Amazon has to store tens of thousands, probably millions, of these files and then transfer them to people who buy a specific book. That's a lot of work to keep everything coordinated on the backend and even if they require it be sent via wifi instead of 3G, the bandwidth isn't free for Amazon to get it from their servers to your device.

Even if they had done it via the metafile initially as a matter of expediency, there's no excuse to have not gone back and refactored the code by now to implement a more elegant solution. By the time the Touch came out, it should have supported some alternate means that Amazon was pushing on publishers by telling them the metafile was going away by the time the PW1 came out or PW2 at the latest.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Now Live - Join the Kindle Discussion Session
1368 15 minutes ago
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Why don't kindle books start in the Cover? 198 24 seconds ago
Frozen Kindle Paperwhite 76 1 minute ago
kindle freetime text to speech?? 14 2 minutes ago
Low internal storage space on Kindle Fire 555 3 minutes ago
books from the library are not down loading to my Kendel fire. 1 3 minutes ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 2133 17 minutes ago
How long does the Fire battery last? 25 22 minutes ago
July 2016 Informal Poll -- What are you reading? 141 36 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 3862 45 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  39
Total posts:  74
Initial post:  May 27, 2014
Latest post:  13 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions