Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Playing Games without Internet Access

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 55 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 29, 2011 6:00:17 PM PST
Runner Girl says:
Recently purchased Kindle Fire and downloaded free games (e.g. Sudoku, Angry Birds, Solitare etc.) but it doesn't appear that you can play the games without being connected to the internet. Is that right?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011 6:02:33 PM PST
I play all of my apps without wi-fi. I don't have Sudoku but Angry Birds and Solitaire work offline for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2011 3:40:37 AM PST
Fud53 says:
You sort of imply that you turn off the wifi before playing the games, but you don't exactly specify that you do. Try it.

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 8:12:32 AM PST
lucia says:
I was given a kindle fire and l am unable to download any free games can anyone tell me how to do it? Thanks

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 8:25:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2012 8:28:40 AM PST
Rainer Rocks says:
After you download the apps go to your
Library and install the app.

You have to install the app after you download it.

And no..you don't need to be connected to WiFi to play or use the App...only to download it but not to install it.

Now...In order to download you must set up your wifi
with your internet connection. It will show a list of wifi connections..just pick the one you use for your internet connection . Also..your internet connection must have a wireless router in order for the Fire to connect wireless which
is WiFi.

I hope this helps.

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 6:04:27 PM PST
tboofy says:
I'm having the same problem. My son tried to play his games at school (after school at play practice) and it came up with an error saying he couldn't play without an internet connection. Is the answer that we need to turn OFF the wi-fi ability?

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 6:42:59 PM PST
tboofy says:
Nope, turning off the internet doesn't work. This is annoying!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 7:10:48 AM PST
Runner Girl says:
Connect to wi-fi and sync. that fixed mine.

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 12:39:12 PM PST
Rainer Rocks says:
Make sure you are playing the app/game from the device and not the cloud. If you use /play the
app from the cloud yo need to be connected to wiFi/internet.

Try this..Hit home icon on the bottom left and then select apps on the top row where it
says newstand-books -music-video-docs-apps-web.

When you select apps all your apps will be listed.

Now you will see Cloud/Device listed on the top. Make sure you select Device and not the cloud which is
Amazon's storage space for all your apps which requires the internet/wifi to use the app.

Goodluck and post back.

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 12:51:22 PM PST
Paxton says:
Also - some games will need the internet and some won't. Those that call out to the internet will not work outside of a WiFi area. Others will work fine.

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 12:59:16 PM PST
J. Gatie says:
Some free games need internet access in order to post their advertisements. Purchase the pay version and you get rid of the ads. Then you will be able to play offline.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 2:10:15 PM PST
tboofy says:
I did that first thing to see if it was saved on the Cloud or on the Device, and it showed them on the device. I got an email from Amazon's customer service saying they should all play without wi-fi, but another friend said he thinks some require internet and others don't. It was the paid-for Angry Birds that he's trying to access, though the free one also did it, and so did the Scrabble (not sure if it's the paid version or not). He said some DID work, so I guess he has something to keep him busy.

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 3:07:03 PM PST
Norma says:
Does the Kindle Fire have to be on to charge? Is is OK to keep the Kindle Fire plugged in while you use it? Mine won't hold a charge more than 3 hours of use, so I am using it plugged in.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 3:14:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2012 3:21:49 PM PST
Rainer Rocks says:
I have angry birds and don't need internet access...you sure you installed it after
you downloaded it from amazon ?

If it's showing on your device you still have to install it.

Check your messages in the upper left hand corner where your name is and see if the apps are listed there and notice if it has an install selector.

Also..try a complete shutdown by holding the power off / on button longer than normal to
do a complete reboot then sync your fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 3:19:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2012 3:23:44 PM PST
Rainer Rocks says:
3 hours doesn't sound right..maybe you have a bad kindle.

My fire stays on all day with spurts of use and some even longer..I get several hours
at a time playing pinball and it also holds the charge really good when not in use.

How do u use your fire ? Movies will drain it faster than normal operations. When not using the internet shut off the wifi..if always on it will drain the battery quicker.

Oh..yes you can use it while charging and it doesn't have to be on while charging..actually it will
charge faster when not on.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 3:43:07 PM PST
tboofy says:
Thanks! I'll try those things when my son gets home.

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 7:02:05 PM PST
tboofy says:
OK, so I guess I didn't know how to sync. I just went to Settings and clicked Sync and that worked. Yea!

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 7:33:31 PM PST
I had the problem with a few games on my Android phone. I was on a cruise, and didn't have wireless turned on for a week.

When I got home I emailed one of the developers. He said that, at least in the regular Android Market, one popular type of DRM requires that apps "phone home" on a regular basis to verify that the app has been legally purchased. The time intervals vary, but if the app can't access the market for a while, it will stop working. Just another great DRM "feature" to annoy people who actually buy their apps rather than downloading them illegally.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 7:34:46 PM PST
tboofy says:
That's good to know. At least we know in the future we'll have to connect to wi-fi and sync it if it stops playing the games. Thanks for the info.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 8:31:48 PM PST
Rainer Rocks says:
The developer who told you about the "phone home" on a regular basis is full of crap!

When you get an app take a look at the permissions you give up in
order to get the app..the lists are crazy..like reading your phone contacts etc...

The "phone home" is so they can load up their database with all your info and habits...that's how they make money by selling ads and now even the paid apps are starting to show ads. You still give up many permissions regardless if you pay or not where they keep track of your every move.

Do some research on "Angry Birds" and marketing..they track everything about you on your phone or tablet...they know how long you play ..what time of the day ..everything .All apps collect your info
and use this info when making deals for ad placement and what type of ads.. everyone doesn't gets the same ads because they even know your surfing habits..read your permissions that you are giving up before downloding any app..especially the free ones..they are free for a reason.

Big money in this data mining stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2012 4:11:08 PM PST
Norma says:
Thanks. I mainly use my fire for reading, but also play 'words with friends'. I did start turning off the wifi, but still discharged rapidly. Have been on a chat with Amazon troubleshooter, and they had me reset the factory settings. If my charge doesn't hold in the next couple of days, I am to get back to them. Glad to know I can use it while charge and that I can turn it off when charging. Thanks again for your input.

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 4:45:07 PM PST
I have all kinds of games on my fire and I play them without wifi. What is the game he is trying to play there are some games that are online games.

I found that if you download the game from the website and then go to the app store on your fire and wait about 1 minute (I am guessing this it the length of time) you will get a popup that says

Alert

You have (Insert #) new apps to install

this has always worked for me...

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 8:22:24 AM PST
ALL of my game apps on my kindle fire quit working. Each one says that it requires an internet connection. I have had my kindle for a month and have never had this problem playing games without wi fi. Why now? I have it set on devise not cloud. How can I fix this?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 8:37:43 AM PST
tboofy says:
Make sure you are connected to the internet and go under Settings and click Sync. That worked for me! Someone mentioned that every now and then it requires you to sync, so that's probably what happened to yours.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 9:13:13 AM PST
Thank you. I will try that when I have wi fi available.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 13 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Prime - Owner's Lending Library 61 1 second ago
OT: Discussion - (Freebie Books Links Only) 2673 1 minute ago
customer service 1 1 minute ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 1532 2 minutes ago
RAoK 79/80 - Tis the Season, and the end of the year! 1787 2 minutes ago
Paperwhite tapping problems 7 2 minutes ago
kindle keyboard split.in half 18 3 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 6782 4 minutes ago
iPad 3 4 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  55
Initial post:  Dec 29, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions