Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Series in Order Info

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 15, 2014 1:04:07 AM PDT
DolphinBlue says:
For awhile recently, books that were part of an established series, such as Barry Eisler's John Rain or Lee Child's Jack Reacher, would have the series listed in order towards the bottom of the product page of any book in the series. It was tremendously helpful. Now that information has disappeared. Anyone have the scoop on this?

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 1:08:04 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 15, 2014 1:19:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2014 1:20:21 AM PDT
DolphinBlue says:
No, this was a section that appeared just after the first batch of reviews, near the "About this Author" section. It would say "this is the 3rd book in the Jack Reacher series" and list the series in order with links. Very helpful. It was linked from another site; wish I could recall which one. This was provided on numerous series (I read a lot of serial books), and I was thrilled to see it, and now it's gone in every instance. Clearly, Amazon decided not to link that info for now. I'm hoping someone remembers the name of the source the info was linked from. I would love to write Amazon and request the info to be put back, and it would be nice to have the source name. Or perhaps someone here knows why it was retracted and whether it is temporary.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 1:30:32 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
I don't ever remember seeing that, but that could just be me

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 2:57:08 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I use fictfact.com to keep track of series.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 3:46:58 AM PDT
You'd have to ask Amazon why/if.

But I just Google. Usually Wikipedia has it, or the author or publisher's page, or as JJ mentioned, Fictfact.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 4:19:59 AM PDT
 nospin  says:
I think you are talking about the Shelfari information provided.

Shelfari.com

Posted on May 15, 2014 4:26:18 AM PDT
goodreads.com also has series information

Posted on May 15, 2014 5:03:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2014 5:43:19 AM PDT
Annie DC says:
I had seen it on a few series, but it never was available for all series of books. It was very useful. I wish all publishers would include that info as part of the title, so no alternate sources of info would be necessary, but that's up to them, not Amazon.

I'm with the previous poster and use Goodreads.

Edited for clarity based on following reply.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 5:08:12 AM PDT
 nospin  says:
Actually the information was provided by Shelfari members not the publishers. The section on the book page the OP is referring to was called from the Shelfari community.

Posted on May 15, 2014 7:40:04 AM PDT
DolphinBlue says:
Yes, Shelfari, that's it! Any idea why the Shelfari information is no longer there?

Of course, you can get the info from numerous other sources, but it's so convenient to have it right on the Amazon book's page.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 7:58:04 AM PDT
KAragon says:
It might be because Amazon is trying to integrate Goodreads info rather than Shelfari info. I've thought they may do this since the purchase of Goodreads but this is speculation only on my part.

My usual sources for getting information on series are:
fantasticfiction.co.uk
Wikipedia
fictfact.com (I track my series' on this site but I hate signing in just to do research so I usually start with fantastic fiction).

Both fantasticfiction and fictfact are Amazon affiliates so I try to make purchases following their links. I figure they might as well get a cut of my purchase since they were helpful in my decision making.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 8:07:39 AM PDT
Is it gone from the SAME books that you previously looked at, or are you saying that NEW books you happen to look at don't have it?

Could it be that the NEW books you're looking at don't HAVE any Shelfari comments from users, yet?

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 8:20:13 AM PDT
DolphinBlue says:
It's gone from the SAME books I previously looked at, AND it's not on any new books I've looked at. It's gone in its entirety.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 8:24:07 AM PDT
Wow. Weird. I bet KA might be on the right track as to why.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 9:25:02 AM PDT
Miss Carol says:
Yeah - I've gone back to check a couple of series lately as well and was sad to note that the section was gone. I do use other sites, but it was just very convenient here.

Posted on May 15, 2014 9:53:06 AM PDT
DolphinBlue says:
Shelfari is also owned by Amazon. I haven't seen any helpful Goodreads info on the book pages yet. Always frustrating when a vendor removes something beneficial (like most software "upgrades") for no apparent reason.

Posted on Jul 11, 2015 2:44:31 PM PDT
Charrlie says:
I never saw this but I have always wondered why amazon basically forces us to go elsewhere; wikipedia, google, etc... In order to figure out which book to buy first.

Posted on Jul 11, 2015 2:54:22 PM PDT
There is often a link toward the top of the page that is a link, and it will be the series name. It takes you to an Amazon page with all the series books. Sometimes they are numbered, and sometimes not.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2015 2:56:27 PM PDT
CBRetriever says:
Amazon is unfortunately not the one who inputs the book titles - it's the publishers/authors who do so and some do it properly:

The Boy from Reactor 4 (The Nadia Tesla Series Book 1)

and some do not

Never Look Back (Di Mike Lockyer Series)

and some don't bother:

The Grim Company from a UK publisher - the US publisher did better: The Grim Company (The Grim Company Series Book 1)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 5648 6 minutes ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 221 10 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 9574 13 minutes ago
Kindle book I paid for suddenly not available to read on Kindle 67 32 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 1904 40 minutes ago
FREE Books and Chat - July 2016 10 48 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 8793 54 minutes ago
Gifting a Kindle 6 1 hour ago
Best Stylus for the Paperwhite 2 1 hour ago
Al's Place 36 Degrees of Separation 2281 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  May 15, 2014
Latest post:  Jul 11, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions