Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

kindle PW - what do people think?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 1, 2013 2:16:09 PM PDT
Tess says:
I am interested in people's opinions. I have a KK and I read mostly at night with a kindle kandle. I'm seriously thinking about the paperwhite. I'm interested in people's opinions about the paperwhite

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 2:41:51 PM PDT
BJWright says:
Absolutely do it:) I have had Kindles since the beginning and this is my favorite by far. Light and easy to hold. The built in light makes it really easy to read in the dark and doesn't bother anyone else. You have to get used to the touch menus vs the keyboard, but I find the menus much easier to get around than using the old keyboard.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2013 2:54:56 PM PDT
I love, Love, LOVE mine.

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 3:07:21 PM PDT
KG says:
I bought my 1st kindle last month, the 2nd. gen. paperwhite. I love it and don't regret buying it at all! Very easy to read at night. A week after I bought mine my husband decided he wanted one too. He also loves reading on his and has no regrets either.

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 4:41:09 PM PDT
M. Patterson says:
I love my Keyboard. It served me well for years, used daily without a single problem or glitch.

When my SO got me the PW this past spring, I thought I'd make the Keyboard the daytime Kindle, take it back and forth to work for lunchtime reading, and use the PW in the evening & wee hours of the night, when the light would be most useful. Well...I did that for a couple of weeks, long enough to confirm that synching "last page read" works perfectly, but soon the PW became The Kindle For Reading. My Fire's used a lot, but not for books, and my poor neglected Keyboard just gets it's battery level checked and put on the charger if needed.

I feel oddly guilty about it, but the Paperwhite is just so close to being the perfect reader I'd rather use it all the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2013 4:47:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2013 4:47:57 PM PDT
Umm, just Do It, as Nike's ads will tell you. You will not regret it. My poor k3 (kindle keyboard as it now known) is sitting in a card board box, neglected and unused, as much as I do love it. Poor thing.

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 5:01:43 PM PDT
Fuzzy says:
I recently traded up to the new Paperwhite. Functions seem to be quicker and the screen is much sharper. The bit of shadowing that I experienced on my original Paperwhite is not to be seen on the new one. Overall I am very happy with the new Paperwhite. Traded in my old one to Amazon for $70 so that made it an even better deal.

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 5:26:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2013 5:28:48 PM PDT
Libby says:
Since you are asking about the Paper White mostly at night I have to wonder about it. Blue light is what effects the human bodies circadian rhythm and causes our bodies to want to sleep or be awake (the sky being blue and daylight having a large amount of blue and ultra violet light). I like my Kindle touch because I can read using my low wattage bedside lamp with an old style filament bulb and my body will not be triggered to stay awake; I will still get tired while reading and fall asleep nicely. I would be concerned about the Paper White and what kind of light is puts out. If the light has a high blue content it could effect falling asleep. fyi: this is why using a computer or watching a TV just before bed or having a compact florescent bulb at your bedside can possibly effect your sleep.

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 5:35:26 PM PDT
KG says:
I have had no problem falling asleep after reading my pw in bed. In fact sometimes I have to struggle to stay awake so I can finish a page or chapter! I usually have the light on the kindle turned down, that with the rest of the room being dark does it for me every time, Zzzzzz.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2013 5:58:59 PM PDT
PF says:
The Paperwhite uses white LEDs along a fiberoptic light guide framework. It's an entirely different quality of light from LCD screens that use a trio of red, green, and blue LCDs. There is considerably less light emitted in the 460-490 nanometer blue light spectrum from a white LED than from any incandescent filament bulb. The LEDs probably produce less than 7 lumens of blue light in total, and the way it's guided along the framework only a portion of that would reach your eye.

Incandescent bulbs of 40 or more watts put out considerably more light in the blue wavelengths: http://www.jasonmorrison.net/content/2009/how-do-led-lightbulbs-compare-to-cfl-and-incandescent/

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 7:15:04 PM PDT
jac7kie says:
I got my 2nd generation paperwhite last week I love it but I miss the ability to listen to my e-books I used to download from audible am now wondering if I should purchase a MP3 player to listen to my audible books or purchase a used kindle keyboard to listen to them as I sat on my old kindle keyboard which I also loved except for night reading and the purchased clip on light was clumsy

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2013 7:32:13 PM PDT
B. Marks says:
I read my Paperwhite in bed before going to sleep most nights. It's never affected my sleep. When I'm done reading I put it down and nearly always go right to sleep.

Barry

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 7:41:57 PM PDT
kindle krazy says:
I love the PW too!
I've had kindles since they began and they just keep getting better and better....I have PW 1 and it's great!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2013 8:00:43 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 1, 2013 8:04:16 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2013 8:09:44 PM PDT
Tess says:
I appreciate the responses to my post. I love my K3 and I do read it a LOT; I even like reading it using a Kindle Kandle. But to be able to have the kindle with me and not have to carry a light around is very enticing. That's why I like to hear what people who actually have a paperwhite have to say.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2013 8:31:52 PM PDT
KG says:
If you want one for the light then you will love it. I can even read in bed without wearing my glasses, something I never thought I would be able to do. The choices of font sizes and lighting options are great and easily accessible.

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 9:49:53 PM PDT
LA Bandmom says:
I've got a K3 with a Kindle Kandle as well, so I know where you're coming from! I loved it, thought it was perfect, bought a K4 and a Touch and STILL went back to the K3. And then I got a Paperwhite. I agree with the others who said the K3 is now neglected in a box. I do feel bad about it, but at least it's got the Touch and K4 to keep it company, right? :) The Paperwhite is everything I could hope for. I had planned to leave it by the bed for only night reading, but it's just so great, it now goes everywhere with me. I plan to get a second one for Christmas, LOL. I also read in bed right before I fall asleep, and have no trouble at all. In fact, sometimes I barely manage to put it down before I'm out. Go for it! You can always return it if you don't like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2013 8:39:46 AM PDT
Tess says:
I've decided to get a new paperwhite! I'm excited. Any suggestions for a cover or case. Actual users are the best sources of information.

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 8:49:56 AM PDT
Fuzzy says:
Tess I use and am happy with the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite cover that I bought with my first Paperwhite. It is slim, lightweight and turns the unit on and off when opening or closing the cover.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2013 10:29:50 AM PDT
B. Marks says:
I have the Amazon case for mine but I prefer using it at home without a case and putting the case on when I leave the house. That's difficult with the Amazon case. It takes a lot of effort and time to remove the Paperwhite from the case.

So this week I bought this case:
Elsse Premium Case For Amazon Kindle Paperwhite and All-New Kindle Paperwhite (Styli NOT included) (Support Smart Cover Function) (Paperwhite, Brown)

I got it yesterday and I've been using it since to get used to it, even though I've been reading at home. It's easy to get on and off and it's more comfortable to hold while reading than the Amazon case. It's also a little bit lighter. Not much, but every little bit helps. It's what I'll probably be using.

I am a bit concerned about it's construction. Everything fits real well and there's nothing I can see really wrong with the way it's made, but I don't have a lot of confidence that it'll last over the years. It's obviously cheaply made. But it's cheap enough that even if I have to replace it every year that's okay.

Barry

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 10:32:07 AM PDT
@Tess...I love the Belkin Sleeve...have had them for my kindle 2 and kindle keyboard order one for my new paperwhite that I am anxiously awaiting. I do not like the covers that attach to the kindle. They just bulk the device up. I like to unzip mine from the sleeve and read it naked...so slim and light weight. Its up to you...personal preference rules!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2013 11:02:27 AM PDT
You will be amazed and overjoyed at the difference. It is so much nicer than the KK.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2014 2:08:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2014 2:13:52 AM PST
Tom G says:
I read your article and don't see it. The LED clearly has a lot of blue. What's more, I own a PW and it should be called the PaperBlue. The light is very clearly a cold, blue light. For this reason, I wear glasses designed to block out the blue spectrum when using it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2014 2:12:34 AM PST
Tom G says:
Wow.an mp3 player? Do they still make those? I thought there were just smart phones. ;) Yes, buy one. They are a lot smaller and more transportable than a kindle. You could listen while doing chores.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2014 3:33:40 AM PST
Then you got a defective one & should have returned it.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Nov 1, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 23, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions