Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire & Amazon Cloud Drive

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 163 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2011 1:43:14 PM PST
Herb says:
It seems to me that we ought to be able to sync our Fire's gallery to our Amazon cloud photo folder...

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 1:59:14 PM PST
I agree, I've yet to find a way to see what's on my cloud storage (My personal files). I have no issues accessing purchased cloud content such as books and music.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 3:23:19 PM PST
yah, what's going on? I thought this was the whole point of the cloud-based documents? How can I get the files/pdf docs that I have on my cloud drive and read them from my kindle fire?

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 6:02:52 PM PST
There has to be a way to access your cloud docs. Overlooking that feature would be totally dumb.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 6:16:33 PM PST
D. Brown says:
Maybe that'll be a part of the first firmware update. I initially figured that the Docs tab would allow access.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 6:25:16 PM PST
One says:
I tried using the KF web browser to access the Amazon cloud. I placed a PDF file in the "Documents" folder and tried to access it from the web. The browser would not open the PDF file. I am having a lot of success using the app called ES File Explorer with my networked hard drives. I mapped a network drive using ES File Explorer and I have opened photos and documents associated with documents to go.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 6:35:24 PM PST
D. Brown says:
Has anyone used the included "Gallery" app? I get a stating that I don't have any items in my collection.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2011 6:37:46 PM PST
Herb says:
yes - u have to side-load images using a usb cable

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 6:40:57 PM PST
One says:
To get the gallery to work, move photos into your "pictures" folder. Use a micro-usb to usb cable or a program like ES File Explorer to move files to your Kindle Fire. The cable that came with my Kindle DXG worked just fine for file transfer.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 8:17:10 PM PST
JayBird says:
Personally I think that Amazon screwed up on this one. Requiring you to sideload the documents or email them to your Kindle to get them on the device is crazy stupid when you get 5GB of now useless cloud drive storage for personal documents that you can't access from the Fire. I along with others in numerous threads on the forums about this hope to see Amazon fix this really quick. I bumped my Cloud Drive storage up to 20gb to take advantage of this so I can put photos, user manuals, repair manuals, etc.. up there and access them on the Fire at will. Have to try ES File Explorer as I do have that on my Android phone but why not include an app that does this natively on the device? That's what they are selling right?

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 4:46:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2011 4:47:42 AM PST
The funny thing is that under the Office app that comes on the Kindle they give you the option of natively linking your Dropbox, and Google docs files. Why did they not do the same thing with Cloud Drive? I also upgraded to 20 gigs as well so Amazon better fix this.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 6:43:24 AM PST
this is pretty ridiculous. i have found no way to sync with cloud drive. i'm not going to email myself @kindle.com for every document that I want to read. here's for hoping that rooting and putting stock android on this thing improves it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 6:53:40 AM PST
I've been able to access all of my PDFs that I have stored in Amazon Cloud Drive, under the Documents folder. It lets me check mark them, then click download, and they download to the Docs tab on the Fire.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 6:53:44 AM PST
C. Keates says:
I'm not going to upgrade my cloud drive storage until this gets fixed. Maybe we should contact support to see if they have an update in the works?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 6:55:56 AM PST
through the browser you're saying?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 6:59:01 AM PST
In the browser, I go to Amazon Cloud Drive. (Well, since I've been there now I just click that thumbnail and I'm automatically there.) Then I go to the Documents folder. I have PDFs there, and they have check boxes next to them. When I check one, the Download button shows up. I click download, and it downloads and saves it in my Docs tab.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 11:26:25 AM PST
The office workaround will keep me. Although not syncing to cloud drive is an oversight, I imagine they are trying to work out a better solution than copying to your device and more 'play from the cloud' (like iCloud). All those outraged, just have faith. The device just came out on yesterday!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 11:33:57 AM PST
kes601 says:
Seems to be hit or miss for me. Some files download ok for me, others just open a blank tab.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 11:44:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2011 11:47:00 AM PST
T. E. Maddox says:
My biggest complaint so far is the handling of pictures on the Fire. Or should I say the lack of handling. I was really hoping to upload some select photos to my cloud drive and access them remotely. I see no way to do that.

If I had my way, pictures would be right there on the main menu next to music and videos.

Oh, And Picasa web which I thought would be an alternative forces itself into mobile mode which is useless on a larger tablet.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 11:46:41 AM PST
TuxGirl says:
Report the feedback to amazon. I did yesterday. If they don't hear us, they wont fix it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 11:52:28 AM PST
kes601 says:
I just did the same.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 11:53:40 AM PST
Hopefully this is just a firmware update or two away. Like the Carousel silliness and lack of TTS (never had any othe rKindle.. is it all books or just certain ones?) this Cloud access limitation is getting plenty of heat and Amazon is pretty savy about keeping customers happy. Since they didn't bother including a USB/micro USB cable I assumed they WANTED us to utilize the cloud for moving our files from desktop to Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 12:20:31 PM PST
Herb says:
they don't read this forum?

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 8:01:51 PM PST
You have you to send the Kindle team feedback. I sent them a email and I got a prompt response with the following.
Hello,

I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying your Kindle Fire.

Further, thanks for writing about the feature request.

Customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we're glad you took time to write to us. The Kindle Team will carefully review your suggestions.

Thanks for your interest in Kindle.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 6:35:21 AM PST
well, that's really nice that they took the time to put together an automated response that everyone gets when they email asking "where are the features that you advertised as being part of the product I bought?" This is really disappointing from amazon. How can you sell a cloud device, and not include the cloud part?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle for Android 4.6
33 2 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update 5.4.5.1
47 5 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 22 days ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 4226 21 seconds ago
Reset to factory default Basic $79 Kindle. 37 1 minute ago
Needing a replacement kindle screen 64 3 minutes ago
Stopping the rioting in Fergusen 0 4 minutes ago
RAoK #78 and still going! 2591 6 minutes ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 573 6 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 3173 7 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  92
Total posts:  163
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2011
Latest post:  May 26, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 43 customers

Search Customer Discussions