Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Regrets on buying Kindle Fire? Suggestions for the next model??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 464 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2011 8:27:50 PM PST
M. D. Fuquea says:
Do you have regrets on buying the Kindle Fire? If so, why? Anything you might suggest they incorporate when they release a newer model sometime down the road??

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 8:38:25 PM PST
B. Coleman says:
it needs a volume control on the bottom to make it easier to use. Plus, it need a screen with anti-glare.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 3:26:41 AM PST
Fud53 says:
Riiight...you have to touch the screen then move the volume up and down...that is some seriously time consuming and difficult task you worry about. Might be a while for the anti-glare for a backlit screen. Try keeping the sun off the screen. It works great 100 percent of the time.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 3:58:54 AM PST
Maltese Mom says:
i saw on Amazon where you can get a non glare screen protector...don't know how good it would work for you.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 4:00:38 AM PST
I wouldn't mind a physical volume button either.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 4:04:13 AM PST
Badbullgator says:
You can't enlarge the screen like an iphone or android. Font in e-mail and internet is so tiny it is hard too read. I do not recommend it for anyone over 35 because your not going to be able to read much. The font of the books is not bad, but everything else is tiny

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 4:09:37 AM PST
Nina says:
I've also missed having a physical volume button. Other than that, the only things I'd like to see changed (carousel & lack of folders/collections) would just take a software upgrade.

Considering the price, I'm really impressed with the Fire. There lots of enhancements that could be made, but they'd all add to the cost. The Fire does what I bought it to do. And, it does it well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 4:13:03 AM PST
Most screens can be enlarged. I'm 52, and have been able to make just about everything larger...except Facebook. This is my first touchscreen anything...and I had it connected and running within 5 minutes of taking it out of the box.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 4:37:21 AM PST
Pepper03 says:
The volume is not good-mine gives no audible output until you go about one-quarter of the way up the bar-and at maximum it isn't loud enough.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 5:25:42 AM PST
Settings>more>help&feedback

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 5:25:59 AM PST
Joshua Downs says:
THE POWER BUTTON SHOULD BE ON THE TOP OF THE DEVICE, not the bottom or the sides. I've accidentally hit it while holding it or leaning it against myself causing it to immediately go into sleep mode. The chance for that happening would be eliminated completely if it were on top.

There should also be something built into the case that would ALLOW A WRIST STRAP TO BE ATTACHED. If I fall asleep on the train while reading, I don't want this thing sliding off my lap and hitting the floor.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 5:33:40 AM PST
I would really to see a Kindle Fire with 3G for us "rural" people.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 5:39:52 AM PST
Debra, there are many tablets out there that have 3G capability. Check out your Verizon or AT&T stores. Be prepared to pay a good monthly amount for the signal.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 5:43:37 AM PST
D. Freeman says:
Joshua, 90% of the time you can turn the device around and have the power button at the top. Put it in a cover and attach a cord around your neck if you're worried about dropping it.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 5:44:33 AM PST
Scott Lowe says:
As an international customer, I'm a little bummed that things like the videos can't be downloaded/streamed outside of the US. It's a deal breaker for me because I can't travel to the US just to fill up the video library.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 5:48:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2011 6:59:58 AM PST
1. The carousel is bad. It scrolls too fast and selecting something takes a couple of tries. Also YOU CANT REMOVE ANYTHING FROM IT! (Sorry for yelling)
2. Its heavy. I wish it were lighter like the Kindle e-reader, but I doubt that's possible.
3. It REALLY needs app switching capability like Android normally has. There is no clear way to switch between apps w/o going back to the stinkin carousel!
4. I agree w whoever said the power button on the bottom is bad. It really is. It wouldnt be so bad if you could rotate the screen 180°, but in many apps you can't.
5. I don't need a physical volume button. I just need non-invasive and a FASTER way to turn the sound up anddown without interfering w what's going on on the screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 5:51:06 AM PST
M. McCoy says:
For some reason I just find that hilarious... the solution to a fundamental design flaw (that works 90% of the time) is to turn it upside down.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 5:57:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2011 5:58:18 AM PST
Bjeans says:
Tracy, you can select items from the carousel. I've done it many times. But you can just go to your Book, App, Newstand, etc. pages to get what you want from the right "shelf."

It's like going to the coat closet to get coats, and a drawer in the kitchen to get forks, instead of having the coats, forks and everything else in the house in one big closet.

I'm not saying you should like the carousel, just that it doesn't make it difficult to get the book or app you want. Ignore it, in other words.

I like that my latest stuff is on top of the carousel so I can grab those things, but it's not necessary, if you don't want to.

As to rotating the Fire so the power button is on the top, you can about 90% of the time.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 5:57:48 AM PST
M42 says:
The carousel and lack of book organization can be addressed with a software upgrade, hopefully soon. But there are areas on the hardware side in which improvements could be made. As others have mentioned it needs a button for volume. Not all software apps recognize the touch control for volume. The Nook Color is a good model to adopt. Their volume key is on the upper right side and is non intrusive. Also the power button should be on the top, like earlier Kindles, or perhaps on the upper left side, ala the Nook Color. Also, it would be better to separate the speakers and place one on the top and one on the bottom. That way when you turn the device sideways to watch a movie all the sound isn't on one side. Having speakers on opposites ends would help create a stereo effect. And lastly it needs more than 512 mb of ram. 512 mb ram is fine for reading books and playing games, but if the Fire is truly going to succeed as a multimedia device then 1 gig is a minimum requirement for adequate buffering.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 5:59:15 AM PST
Bjeans says:
Not so different than turning it to landscape, I figure. Though it is a little odd.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 6:04:26 AM PST
M. Ratcheson says:
I'm very pleased with the Fire. It's much nicer than I would have imagined at the $199 price point.

I do agree the carousel should be modified, so we can select what shows up in it, but I rather like it, so I hope it remains in the UI. I wasn't happy with the basic email app that ships with the Fire, but yesterday's free app of the day took care of that concern nicely. And I wish the speaker volume could be pumped up a little higher, at maximum it's just a tad too quiet for me. But that's what headphones are for. And I'd like to be able to categorize my books and apps, folders would be a welcome addition.

All in all, no regrets here.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 6:08:35 AM PST
Liberty says:
Yes you can. Simply use your fingers on the screen to enlarge or decrease the size.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 6:48:39 AM PST
Tracy why can't you rotate the screen 180 degrees? Mine worked fine and when it is a problem puts the power button and speakers at the top where they should be.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 6:49:22 AM PST
SW, reply to an earlier post so we know who you are posting.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 6:54:21 AM PST
Karen says:
is anyone else finding that it takes several tries to get the device to actually go to what you are pressing on the screen? i am finding this TOTALLY FRUSTRATING! It is taking me several hits many times to get a reaction out of it. What is up with that?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and $79 Kindle
0 6 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Manic Gardens, Roof Possums, Goat Spanx, Flailing Yahoos and So Geese! And Cherie! 1197 1 second ago
amazon Echo 417 1 minute ago
Kindle Fire Tips: Getting Started 2 5139 1 minute ago
how to upload ebook 1 4 minutes ago
to my anti-fan, how do you do that? 57 8 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 5806 9 minutes ago
Kind Fire has no Drivers installed 1 19 minutes ago
BAAA© Amazing Kindle Books and Helpful Tips #3 2509 22 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat (FB&C) Wed thru Fri, 19-21 November 2014 167 22 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  268
Total posts:  464
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 32 customers

Search Customer Discussions