Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Readers for those with macular degeneration

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 14, 2012 2:36:17 PM PST
My mom who has AMD reads better when the text is white on a black background. Can any of the Kindles be adjusted to make this easier reading?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 2:37:00 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Any of the Fires can.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 3:09:31 PM PST
Nobody says:
One thing to consider beyond the screen is the operation of the reader. My mother was blind from macular degeneration. She couldn't use a Kindle because she couldn't see the menu and the buttons were also a problem for her. She got a Merwin (I think that's the name) reading gizmo that let her do the reading associated with everyday tasks like checking a recipe and reading labels on foods, but she went with recorded books when wanting fiction. There's an organization that provides play-back equipment and free books for the legally blind.

Another thing that can help someone with macular degeneration read is to keep in mind that the person with MD is essentially looking at the world through swiss cheese, so adjusting the way words are looked at can be beneficial. This means getting used to turning slightly from what is being read to take advantage of the vision still left at periphery of the center where most of the vision is lost. Hope I'm explaining this so you can understand what I mean. It takes maneuvering the head to find the sweet spot where vision is best and that means not looking at it straight-on.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 3:20:40 PM PST
I have diabetic retinopathy and the (first) Kindle Fire has enabled me to read comfortably again for the first time in many years. If you haven't tried one yet the bright colors, easy access to change the size of the font, and especially the light up screen are the most important aspects for me but I appreciate all of the other features as well. The fact that I can go right to the "store" to get new books and start reading them right away is magical to me. I first tried the original black and white Kindle and wasn't able to see the words on that screen so I am very pleased with this product.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 4:53:51 PM PST
Thank you so much for the good first-hand information. It is much appreciated. I'll go online and see what I can learn about the Merwin. Many many thanks.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 5:23:39 PM PST
My Mom has reduced vision due to cellophane maculopathy. She qualifies for free audiobooks and a free player from the National Library Service for the Blind. You might be interested in what they can provide for your mom:

http://www.loc.gov/nls/
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
how about ordering? duh 12 15 seconds ago
RAoK #78 and still going! 6094 24 seconds ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 5729 49 seconds ago
Free Books and Chat - Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2014 63 12 minutes ago
Can I set up the system in Chinese language and read Chinese? 2 13 minutes ago
paper digital bundle 8 13 minutes ago
Use Kindle fire HD(2013) with Sony Microvault 32Gb? 9 21 minutes ago
OT: Discussion - (Freebie Books Links Only) 1872 36 minutes ago
Kindle Paperwhite sideloaded books 17 47 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions