Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Pinch To Zoom

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 23, 2012 11:47:44 PM PDT
Leumas says:
I recently used the Kindle Reader App on an android tablet (not the Fire)...... I discovered it has a very very handy feature that the reader on the Fire does not have.

On the Android Kindle App I can pinch to zoom the text in the book I am reading.....why doesn't the Fire allow that?

I found the feature very handy because of a problem that I found in the Fire and all the Kindle reader Apps that is not on the E-Ink Kindles.

On the E-Ink Kindles I can start a highlighting and go over a page to the next page to finish the highlight and thus span multiple pages.

On the Fire and other Kindle Reader apps you cannot do this....thus if the highlight you want needs to extend over to the next page then you will have to do two or more separate highlights.

With the pinch to zoom I found that I was able to make the text really small and thus the page would include the text that would be on the next page with the size of the font I use to read...this way I can highlight what I need with one highlight then go pinch to zoom again to put the text back to the size I normally use to read.

This is a workaround....... but the Fire does not allow the pinch to zoom......WHY????

Please Amazon.....fix the highlighting so that we can extend the highlight over to a next page....ALSO please enable the pinch to zoom on the Fire just like you have on the android reader app.

Ah...and while you are it.... please provide for Text To Speech on the Fire just like in the other Kindles.

Ah.... while you are at it too.....please make the dictionary the same as in the e-ink kindles...... with the Fire I cannot use the inbuilt dictionary to search for a word except as a normal search in the dictionary as if it is a normal book....this takes ages.

In the e-ink Kindles you can search the dictionary when you have it opened as a book in a very FAST and nifty way where it shows the words as you type and the search is VERY FAST....the Fire's inbuilt dictionary does not do that and thus I had to use a third party app to have a functional dictionary....PLEASE fix that too.

So...in summary
1- Pinch to zoom
2- Extend highlight over a page
3- Text to speech
4- Faster inbuilt dictionary search

PLEASE..... I love my Kindle Fire and the above fixes would make it even more fantastic than it already is.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 11:52:10 PM PDT
The Fire certainly does have pinch to zoom. But you are right about the other features you mention. However, it is pointless to post suggestions for Amazon here. Instead, email them to kindle-feedback@amazon.com, or use the Help and Feedback feature on your Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 12:10:05 AM PDT
Leumas says:
I do not mean pinch to zoom on applications and etc..... that I know exists and is very very handy while reading web sites or PDFs etc.

I mean in the Fire book READER.... while reading a book..... I tried it several times to no avail..... am I missing something? The only way I can change the font size of the reader is to go through the menu.

Please let me know if maybe I have to enable it or something I am missing.

I did send them feedback through the Fire's Settings facility..... I will use the email too...thanks for reminding me about that.
Regards

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 12:15:46 AM PDT
Leumas says:
One more thing..... COLLECTIONS..... please allow for a way to keep the books in collections just like on the PC Reader App and on the other Kindles.

This needs to be done with both the Android app and the Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 1:44:10 AM PDT
Again, pointless to tell other customers what you want. We can do nothing about it. Tell Amazon using the email address that Bruce posted above.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 2:25:36 AM PDT
In a book you can select the font size from the menu. Not as easy as pinch to zoom but you can still change the text size as you wanted.

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 11:18:23 PM PDT
Leumas says:
Also...please Amazon.... on the Kindle For Android app I can read a Spanish book and when I highlight a word I can get its definition from a Spanish dictionary which gets downloaded automatically the first time I do this and I am able to read English and Spanish books and get dictionary definitions and look ups in both languages.

I cannot do the same with the Fire's reader.... I think this must be an oversight.... The Fire should do all the Android app can do if not more.

PLEASE... update the Fire's Reader to be on par with the Android Reader.

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 10:49:18 PM PDT
Is there pinch to zoom functionality for Win 7/8 tablets? Or a faster method of resizing the screen to view the page at full or simply scroll down by swiping the screen? I ask because the response time to selecting the desired size to it resizing is well over 2 mins if at all; and having to use the scroll bar vs. swiping down is very combersome and time consuming.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2012 11:36:12 PM PDT
Sue says:
The pinch to zoom is on the Nexus 7. My son has one. I like the Fire better and feel that I can waste two minutes of my life to change the text size. Actually it does not take me that long--maybe 30 seconds. You must be slower.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 2:52:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 22, 2012 2:54:54 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
That person is asking about a Windows tablet not Android like the Nexus and Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 2:54:22 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
More than likely not yet since the tablets are just starting to come out. I assume you are just using the normal Kindle for PC app.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 2:56:50 AM PDT
Leumas - the Fire product page says it is English only. Amazon only provides multi-language support on a few models. Also, the Fire is being developed separately from the Android app, although they started together the feature list is very different. The Fire is not an upgrade from any other Kindle model or app, it is just different.

Posted on Oct 19, 2013 12:55:06 AM PDT
When reading e-magazines on my Android tablet I can pinch to zoom only on text sections and it puts me into a different reader type mode which messes up the formatting of the articles. However, I'm unable to zoom in on ads or articles which have text overlaid on pictures. I'm sure that advertisers would be upset that their ads are only viewable as pictures with tiny unreadable text. Come on Amazon, a little bit of development please! The iphone/ipad app does this natively, surely its easily implemented in the Android version too!?!?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2013 12:56:05 AM PDT
Bruce, if you want to be certain that someone from Amazon hears your feedback, please send an email to kindle-feedback@amazon.com or kindle-fire-feedback@amazon.com if you have a Fire - we are mainly Kindle owners here, not from Amazon.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Jun 23, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions