Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire lost connection with router

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 8, 2012 10:59:11 AM PST
My new Fire was working fine when it suddenly lost the signal from my wireless router; I haven't been able to get it to reconnect since. When I try to connect with the router it asks for the password again, I type it in, and then after a few seconds of trying I get a message saying it cannot connect and check the password. Not sure if the problem is the Fire or the router, I have the router hardwired into my computer and no other wireless devices that I can try to connect with it. I also have no other wireless signal to try to connect the Fire to, altho I plan to head to the library and try it there later today. Anyone else have this problem?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2012 11:02:13 AM PST
Alan, I had the problem for about 3 hours the day after I got the Fire, regardless of what I did.
Go to wi-fi, click on forget, then re-enter your SSID and passkey. I have not had a problem since.

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 11:18:25 AM PST
Where is "forget"?

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 11:34:13 AM PST
I should add the things I tried which did not help. I turned off the Fire and recharged it. I switched off the surge protector the router is plugged into and left it off overnight. Neither helped.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2012 12:12:19 PM PST
Alan, when you set up your wi-fi, you had to enter your router SSID and a password, right?

When you go to wi-fi you said it is asking you for your password. Do NOT click on connect, On the right hand side, it will give you the option "forget". Click on it.

Go back to wi-fi and click on add a network. Enter your SSID and passkey/password.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2012 1:57:34 PM PST
Kevin Fine says:
I occasionally have a problem where wifi says "attempting" to connect... after several series of trying and trying, I tried turning off my wireless router for ten seconds then turning it back on...after my Internet access is restored to the router, I have no more problem connecting my Fire to my wifi.

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 2:45:34 PM PST
Emerald: Yes and no. I did not enter an SSID, the name of my network appeared in the list of available signals and when I touch that a box opens asking for the password. I entered the password when I first set it up and after that the Fire automatically connected to my router whenever I was at home. I still see no "forget" option.

Kevin: It was yesterday I lost the connection, and I had my router turned off all night. Still could not connect Fire to the signal this morning. Still can't. Will try resetting the router after I get off.

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 3:09:54 PM PST
Doriegirl says:
A friend had this problem and fixed by turning the internet modem off,then on to reset it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2012 4:33:29 PM PST
Alan, do you see add a network? Re-add your network.

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 5:47:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2012 5:58:21 PM PST
Emerald: I added my network, but still cannot connect. When I click on the network I get a password request with "save" and "forget" options, but not a "connect" option. When I hit "save" I get an error message that it cannot connect. When I hit "forget" it deletes the new entry. At least I am growing confident the problem is the Kindle and not the router.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2012 5:51:22 PM PST
Hold the on/off button for 30 seconds. Turn the Fire back on. What do you have?

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 6:03:44 PM PST
When I turn it off for 30 sec and turn it back on I am able to go to the wifi page and hit my new network added earlier and get a box with the option "connect" as well as the others. But hitting connect just gives me the error message again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2012 6:19:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2012 6:20:27 PM PST
Ok, when you get to the connect option, there should also be a forget option.

Click on the first network you added and then click on "forget"

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 7:25:14 PM PST
No, there is no "forget" option; I suppose because I never added my network in the first place. Every time I go to wifi, including the first time, a list of network signals in my neighborhood, including mine, has shown up. All I did was to click on my network the first time and type in my password. Then the Fire would always automatically connect with it, until yesterday.

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 2:58:08 PM PST
Took the Fire to work and it connected with nearby open signal, but still won't connect with home network. Tried resetting the router, no luck. Browsing other discussions I see other people have had similar problems, seems Kindle does not work well with some routers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2012 3:21:56 PM PST
stilljojo says:
Alan...what wireless router do you currently have?? my daughter has same issue going on... worked fine since mid dec...and today suddenly it disconnected and she cannot get it to connect again...

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 3:40:14 PM PST
The router is a "Qwest Q". Quest used to be the name of my phone company, which is also my internet provider.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 11:16:45 AM PST
stilljojo says:
Alan...thanks... my daughter spent 40 minutes waiting to talk to tech..and in the end...they told her to unplug her router, turn off kindle, turn on router and turn on kindle (fire) and she was back on line... wish that were the answer for you but that doesnt sound like it will fix your issue since you aready tried turning router off and resetting.......... did you reset the Kindle to at the same time?...just a thought.

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 6:10:42 PM PST
Turns out the problem was my router. I went into it and reset the password and then used the new password on the Kindle. Should have thought of that earlier! Not sure why it stopped working in the first place though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2012 5:09:01 PM PST
stilljojo says:
well that had a happy ending!

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 5:54:08 PM PST
haggle says:
I am frustrated with my daughters kindle fire. I cannot access any apps or music. I get an error Msg that I have no Internet connection. However when I check settings it shows that I am connectected. In fact I can surf the Internet and post on this forum. Has anyone else experienced this and have a fix? Very frustrated. This is my 3rd attempt in 2 days at fixing.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 7:56:40 PM PST
Karen says:
haggle, I am having the same problem. I hope someone out there has a answer for us....very frustrating. It just keeps trying to load but never does:(

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 4:54:47 AM PST
Myself and a guy I work with both have the same issue with our fires. The network says its connected, but the wifi image on the top right screen has an x next to it. What would be causing that? It doesn't happen all the time. The other issue I have is I don't always get a signal at my house. I replaced the router a few months ago.

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 4:55:43 AM PST
Myself and a guy I work with both have the same issue with our fires. The network says its connected, but the wifi image on the top right screen has an x next to it. What would be causing that? It doesn't happen all the time. The other issue I have is I don't always get a signal at my house. I replaced the router a few months ago.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.5
23 14 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
RAoK #78 and still going! 7030 1 minute ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 6178 1 minute ago
Kindle Voyage 12 1 minute ago
Ship the Kindle Voyage to Australia 7 4 minutes ago
How to remove that stupid letter telling me that my library book has expired? 64 7 minutes ago
Kindle Voyage delivery 53 7 minutes ago
New Kindles! 124 9 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 3387 17 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions