Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

What books in a series am I missing?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 19, 2013 3:08:11 PM PDT
I read a lot of Scandinavian crime novels.

However, I never know if I am missing any books (or newly translated ones) in the series.

Is there a feature that will highlight which books in a series (or by a certain author) I am missing? That would be killer.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2013 3:08:59 PM PDT
The Artist says:
You can usually find that kind of info on Wikipedia.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2013 3:15:41 PM PDT
That is, in fact, what I do today! But as my library is increasing rapidly, that is increasingly becoming harder to do and to track. I have resorted to creating a spreadsheet and thought that a Kindle bookstore feature would be perfect!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2013 3:19:25 PM PDT
I rely heavily on fantasticfiction dot com for tracking all the series & authors that I read.

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 3:27:04 PM PDT
Miss Carol says:
fictfact dot com is a lot like fantastic fiction - you put in the series and you can see a listing of all the books in that series and what order they go in. I'm not sure how many Scandinavian crime series are on there - but you can go check it out.

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 3:35:56 PM PDT
FictFact is fantastic! All my favorite Nordic Noir authors are there!!!

Now if only the Kindle bookstore would integrate a this kind of data into their bookstore.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2013 3:50:40 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I wouldn't count on it. The more features you add the more upkeep you have to do to make sure everything is working. Nothing wrong with going to a different site to keep track of series. Personally I have all my books downloaded onto my computer and I use Calibre to keep track of my whole library including series.

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 3:53:26 PM PDT
B. Marks says:
This is a link to Fantastic Fiction. It'll give you what you need.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/

Barry

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 3:58:38 PM PDT
Miss M says:
Although I do like fantasticfiction, for the Scandis I prefer stopyourekillingme.com - they also list the titles in the original language plus original year of publication, which can be helpful with some authors like Nesbo, who were published out of order here in the US [and sometimes you can see titles that haven't yet appeared/been translated into English.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2013 4:03:08 PM PDT
Yes but it directly drives book sales for them; kinda like "Oh, I am missing that book?" so click -> buy

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2013 4:43:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2013 4:44:02 PM PDT
I actually really like this feature idea.

You go to the store on your kindle. Touch and hold on a book.
Choose "View this Series".
The page for that series comes up, with a list of those books, listed in chronological order by publication date, and buy buttons on the right side for any that you do not own.
You can select to re-order by series chronology, if a publisher/author has provided that information.

One click buying from the page, if you have that turned on for your account/device. Otherwise the buy buttons put it in the cart.

It's definitely implementable, the question is how many titles out there have series association stored in the amazon database. The metadata would indicate some do, but its inconsistent today how the publishers reflect that for various books. Normalizing that data into a searchable field would be step 1 for Amazon, but its a step that would benefit both the online and kindle experiences.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2013 7:30:45 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
It would be up to the publishers to add the information just like page numbers. There are still a lot of books without page numbers at the moment...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2013 7:37:31 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
actually, I've seen some series listings in kindle books - if you search on Games of thones after the first 5 books you'll see: See All Books in The A Song of Ice and Fire Series with little icons for all the books below that

so it is happening in some cases

it also does it for Robert Parker Spenser

now, I'm not sure this works on a Kindle, but it definitely does on a PC

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2013 7:39:38 AM PDT
I used to depend on stopyourekillingme, because I read so many mystery series. I've been very disappointed lately, though, because they are missing so many authors/series. I've found fictfact to be much more up-to-date. I also love that they will e-mail you when a new book in a series you follow is coming out. Now if they will just refine it so the notice comes when the Kindle edition comes out........

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 7:40:34 AM PDT
Debi says:
I'm a fantasticfiction fan. When I start a series I make sure I have all the books and pull them to the beginning and sort by most recent. If I'm missing any I either buy or put them in my wish list.

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 7:42:18 AM PDT
you could use Goodreads.com - it has a series function and you can catalogue your books - you can also do an export using excel to save your bookshelf off line

and as a plug, I moderator a Nordic Noir group over there - we do a featured author each month - this month is Lars Kepler

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 7:43:10 AM PDT
Nice!

So it's *almost* there -- e.g., for the "Kurt Wallander Book Series" it shows them all (but not which ones I already own)...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2013 7:46:10 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
Amazon never shows that until you click on a product page

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2013 7:47:44 AM PDT
Sad. It would be so much better (and drive so much more revenue) if they showed it at the higher level, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2013 10:08:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 20, 2013 10:10:54 AM PDT
I think part of the challenge of the current implementation, as CBRetriever indicates, is that the current solution relies on the publisher listing to include those kinds of information to make the series information available. Because its publisher by publisher, the ability to access it, the detail, and whether or not the information is linked is inconsistent. Or its implemented as an additional layer by Amazon only on the most popular series. Game of Thrones being a great example. But is the same capability made available for the Poirot books by Agatha Christie, or the Presidental Agent series by WEB Griffin, or for a community author like the Emperors Edge series by Lindsay Buroker?

A better solution would be feature implementation that is an integrated experience on the Kindle Fire, and could potentially be used as a website feature as well. It relies on capturing the metadata of what series a book is in - in some standard way. Otherwise, implementation of the feature using API mechanisms very similar to what are made available today becomes VERY simple (relatively speaking). If the data is there, the feature is possible. If a publisher wants to enhance revenue generation through series linkage, they can enhance thier listing with this metadata, easing Amazon's work on this feature.

As I outlined before, it could be as simple as hold on one of the books in your collection or on your device, and one of the menu options becomes "View Author Series" or something of the kind.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2013 10:09:47 AM PDT
"I read a lot of Scandinavian crime novels."

Now, there, THAT is a sentence you just don't see that often!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2013 12:38:17 PM PDT
CBRetriever says:
actually they're trending now with Jo Nesbo, Steig Larsson, Camilla Lackberg, etc

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2013 12:40:57 PM PDT
James Thompson! I swear, if you were to autopsy that man's brain...dark and deprived

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2013 12:45:02 PM PDT
~nospin says:
If you open a Shelfari account and import your Amazon purchases, your books will be shown in a series page.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2013 12:56:35 PM PDT
Nospin, you are certainly correct in that pointing out mating another service in could help as a temporary workaround to the problem. I had not thought of Shelfari.

I think in the long term, Amazon would be better served to construct a first party searching that has a consistent method of presentation across many such series, AND did so in a manner that could increase localized sales either at the device level, the site level, and potentially exposing the data for Amazon Associates to obtain via API calls.

Having a per-text metadata field with a Kindle reading app update to make use of the data would make that happen.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Aug 19, 2013
Latest post:  Aug 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions