Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Connecting to WiFi with Kindle Fire

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 22, 2011 12:01:29 PM PST
My first Kindle connected to my WiFi immediately. My Kindle Fire requires a WiFi (Linksys) password. I went to Linksys info and added a password since I do not remember what I used before, but it still won't connect. Should I just reload my Linksys CD and start over. Has anyone else had a problem with a password?

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 12:03:04 PM PST
Ernie says:
Open the routers web page on your browser 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.0 and check for the password on the wireless setup page.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2011 4:06:09 PM PST
Yes, Ernie. I did that and added a Password, but still no luck. I am going to shut everything down and then try again.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 11:52:44 AM PST
I am taking my Kindle Fire back to best Buy and if they cant solve the problem they can take the Kindle back.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 11:54:12 AM PST
I am taking my Kindle Fire back to best Buy and if they cant solve the problem they can take the Kindle back.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 11:56:12 AM PST
Best Buy isn't going to be able to help you figure out how to correctly enter your password. Reboot both the Fire and the router, and try again.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 12:14:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2011 12:30:57 PM PST
J. Gatie says:
Pamela, if you forget your password, it's not the Kindle's fault. Also, the password you want is not on the login/info screen for the Linksys, it is in the Wireless Setup menu, under Security. You should rerun your Linksys CD, and after you enter it under Wireless Security setup, write down the password. You will have to retype the password in all your wireless devices in order to reconnect, but you only have to do it once.

Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 12:28:55 PM PST
I couldn't have said it better, J. Gatie.

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 3:29:50 PM PST
I have been having lots of problems with the Kindle Fire and my password. I know the password, I even reentered it on Linksys and tried again. It does not connect. I've tried calling Amazon and they keep telling me that they are working on the problem. I can connect thru a hotspot with no password, but not on my own wireless network. I really don't know what else to do. Waiting for Amazon to get back to me, but since they have been saying that for two weeks, I sort of doubt they are going to. Any idea?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 4:07:03 PM PST
Lorraine, you are changing the password within your Linksys wireless settings not access to the router, correct?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 6:36:01 PM PST
Yes, I am.

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 6:52:23 PM PST
I haven't had any problems with my Kindle fire until now. I am at a conference at a hotel and every time I try to connect to any Internet site it shows a message (very fast) and says something about one of the apps that came on my "fire" called Pulse. I'm able to catch just about that much before the kindle shuts down. When I got to Manage my kindle" the pulse app does not show up, so I can't even delete it. This is very frustrating! Can't figure this one out!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 6:15:31 AM PST
I see Pulse on the homepage of the Kindle when I first turn it on. It's on the bottom right next to facebook. Not sure what it is.

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 5:20:15 PM PST
M. T. MacKay says:
Just wanted to share my experience in case it will help someone.

With Kindle Fire and a Linksys router, when you first access WiFi on your Kindle Fire, enter your network security key - that big, long number with both capital letters and numbers - as your password. Don't enter your router password. To locate the network security key, look at the Linksys.txt text file on your desktop.

I had problems last night, read a bit this evening, tried my network security key, and boom - connected. After you enter it once, you won't have to do it again - and that's good because it took me five minutes to type the thing in. This may be obvious to most people, but I'm hoping it will be the answer for someone out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2011 4:26:34 PM PST
Thanks so much. This helped me. I love you and I don't even know you. lol

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 9:00:24 AM PST
ashlyn says:
I am very new to the world of technology here's my? Why is ir that when ur trying to get a free app it forces you to give your credit card info and thanks you for purchasing a free app?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 9:03:43 AM PST
It is part of how Amazon verifies you live in the USA.

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 9:02:35 AM PST
I have had my kindle since december and just like that it started asking me for my password to access the internet. Before it would just show me wireless useers in the area and if i was at how it would just connect without asking. I have my password written down but even with that password it tells me i have the wrong password. I also noticed there is an icon of a key by where the web icon was does that me anything? They told me at office max that i could default to factory setup but i would lose everything i bought books and such, can someone give me an idea what to do.

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 9:51:13 AM PST
I really enjoy the game jewels, but the last week or so it says there is no more move after five or six moves. Is there something I can do? It isnt much fun when you make a couple moves and it says theres no more.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2012 9:51:16 PM PST
M. T. MacKay says:
That happened to me after I turned wifi off and then back on on my Kindle Fire. I'm not sure why it happened, but I was able to fix it by starting from scratch.

You can reset to factory settings without losing your books. The books you bought are in your library and can be redownloaded.

I reset my Kindle. Then, I reset my router. I then went to the router's setup utility page and made sure my SSID and security key were what I thought they were. I changed my security key so that I wouldn't have to type that darn long number over and over on my Kindle. I "forgot" my SSID then reconnected to it as a new wifi SSID. This all took maybe a half hour. It worked. I recommend trying this rather than fruitlessly trying over and over to figure out where in the process you dropped a stitch - rip out the row and start it again is my advice. Good luck! :D

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 10:07:03 AM PDT
Tribastone says:
how to I change my username and passwords new WIFI provider for my Kindle Fire Thank You
ylvatribastone@yahoo.com
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 25 days ago
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 8156 56 seconds ago
SwagBucks Thread 5062 1 minute ago
kindle touch 0 2 minutes ago
are writers like diana gabaldon, sara donate and jodi thomas books listed in the prime choices i am interested in these and a lot more that are expensive to buy 43 3 minutes ago
Al's Place 35mm 6826 10 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Super Hero Sisters, Panama, Many Furry Friends, Featuring Fat Jane the Spanx Wearing Goat, and Cherie! It's the Apocalypse! 7037 18 minutes ago
Amazon Echo 3373 21 minutes ago
Conversations with Echo 1269 26 minutes ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 2435 27 minutes ago
February 2015 Informal Poll -- What are you reading now? 297 40 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Nov 22, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions