Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD froze and won't restart

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 24, 2012 12:01:10 PM PST
W. Barr says:
I just got the Kindle last week and love it. This morning while I was downloading some apps, it froze so I turned it off with the button. Now it won't turn back on. It does feel a bit warm to the touch, so do I just need to wait until it cools down or is there something else to do?

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 12:02:39 PM PST
Try a hard reboot:

To reset/reboot your Kindle Fire:
- With the Fire charged but unplugged from the charger, press and hold the power button for a full 30 seconds.
- When the Fire cycles off completely, press the power button once to turn it back on.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 12:13:30 PM PST
W. Barr says:
Hey, thanks! That worked. I didn't know it took that long to do a reboot ... I figured 5 seconds was long enough to turn it off. I'm sure that is in the help documentation, but I couldn't get to it on the Kindle. I suppose I should read at least the first couple of chapters ... or is the manual on-line somewhere?

I'm just glad I didn't break my new toy already.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 12:15:10 PM PST
There should be one on the device. Looks under "apps" and then look for the blue bubble with the white question mark (help and feedback).

You can also look here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_sn_kin?nodeId=200127470

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 12:24:35 PM PST
W. Barr says:
Thanks ... like I said, I knew I had help documentation on the Kindle, but I couldn't get to it since I couldn't turn it on. :) So it's good to have the documentation elsewhere. There was an advantage of having the giant paper manuals of long ago ... :)

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 12:31:25 PM PST
You're very welcome!

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 9:28:45 PM PDT
Tiffany M. says:
I was playing a game on my Kindle Fire HD (received it for Christmas so only about 8 months old) and it just went to a black screen and shut off and now it won't turn back on. With the reboot strategy work for that or do I kneed to try something else?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2013 11:13:40 PM PDT
Tiffany - Try performing a hard reset on your Kindle Fire. Unplug the Fire from all power sources and then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds (count them slowly) and then release. Ignore any shutdown messages. After the device has completely turned off, press the power button to restart your Kindle Fire.

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 2:27:03 PM PST
I purchased my kindle fire for almost a year now and what happens to it it completely froze and it won't even start up or neither reboot it just says kindle fire and that's it, it won't even charge what can I do??

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2013 3:07:19 PM PST
Anderson: Try performing a hard reset on your Kindle Fire one more time. Unplug the Fire from all power sources and then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds (count them slowly) and then release. Ignore any shutdown messages. After the device has completely turned off, press the power button to restart your Kindle Fire.

If that does not help, Use the large orange Contact Us button to the right to contact Amazon Kindle CS and talk with them about it - use the live chat or the call back feature if you can, not email. If you can't see a Contact Us button on this page, then go to https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/kindle-help.html and contact CS. I advise using Live Chat or the Call Me Back feature and not email, as they will have your account details available to them immediately when you talk with them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2014 7:10:17 AM PDT
this worked just fine

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2015 6:44:39 PM PST
I am having the same problem! Any additional suggestions?

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 1:53:19 AM PST
ula says:
I suggest dowloading/installing the FREE APP. called CLEAN MASTER.
Among many things it does, it checks your KFHDX's temperature and cools it down if it's too high.
If I've been streaming video for several hours, then suddenly a window flickers, I run CleanMaster and it shows me which app. is causing the overheating and turns it off
(it could be FB or another app. which is always running in the background).
I put CM on my Moto phone as well.

Posted on Jun 23, 2015 5:36:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2015 5:38:03 PM PDT
Awesomeness says:
My kindle fire he turns on, but the screen stays blank. I think it's broke but I'm not sure. What do I do?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Dec 24, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 23, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions