Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Don't lose your Kindle!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 94 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 14, 2014 8:01:54 PM PDT
Lydia Rilea says:
I contacted Kindle to notify them that a Kindle had been found at my work on a bench outside, and asked if they could contact the owner and let her know so she could come pick it up. They marked it as lost, which effectively disallows her from using this Kindle again, and makes however much she spent on it worthless, because she is unable to use it. It has a lovely leather case, I feel certain the owner treasured it, but she'll only get it IF she's reported it to the Police, becase that's where it is bound. I personally feel it is more likely to end up in an auction. Very sad. My Mom adores her Kindle, if this happened to her, I know she'd be heartsick about losing it, and furious with Kindle for making it worthless.

I disapprove of Kindle's handling of this. Still, I'm going to do as they requested.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2014 8:12:26 PM PDT
Jay says:
You'd disapprove even more if it was your Kindle that went missing, and Amazon allowed someone to impersonate you, and order tens of thousands of dollars worth of books on your account and credit card. The way Amazon is handling the matter is the most financially secure for you, and for Amazon. You can't get ripped off by con artists pretending to be you, and so you can't sue Amazon for them letting someone impersonate you and rip you off.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2014 8:23:45 PM PDT
Artist says:
The person can use it again if you turn it into the local police department and that person goes looking for it there. Amazon's not anyone's mommy -- they don't have to keep track of people's Kindles, and make sure they are returned to them.

Besides, the person only lost their device, not their content. That remains with their account.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2014 8:30:17 PM PDT
R. Wilde says:
"which effectively disallows her from using this Kindle again"

I'm not sure, but I *think* if the owner gets it back, he or she can have it "un-bricked".

It might be nice for Amazon to contact the owners of Kindles reported found, but I can't really fault them for not doing so.

You mentioned you found it at your workplace... have you let the business office/ customer service/ other department that deals with the public know in case the owner contacts them?

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 3:53:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2014 3:54:11 AM PDT
Why wouldn't you have taken it to the office? That's where I would have asked for lost & found. I wouldn't call Ford if my car was stolen.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 11:46:35 AM PDT
Lydia Rilea says:
I AM the office. It was brought into the office where I am front office reception. And on ANY day, I would not compare a car to a kindle, nor would I expect their loss to be handled in the same way. I simply wanted to let the owner know as directly and quickly as possible her Kindle had been found so she could get it. So if that wish is wrong, I guess Im wrong. Also, I can't imagine the police will bother contacting Amazon / Kindle in order to actually get in touch with the owner. Still, thats where it will go, and hopefully she'll be less of an obtuse person.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 11:51:20 AM PDT
There's all kinds of Privacy of Information Act reasons why Amazon can't be involved in returning misplaced Kindles, unfortunately. About all you can do is put it in the Lost & Found drawer and hope the person remembers where they might have left it.

No, the police would laugh at both ends. "You found an electronic *BOOK*?" Or, "You want us to look for an electronic *BOOK*?" In either case, "C'mon, lady. Really?" would be the likely answer.

It's nice of you to hope to return it to the owner, but these days, even though Kindles aren't disposable, I liken them almost to a pair of sunglasses or jacket left on a bus. Whoops! Too bad, so sad. Kindles don't have LoJack in them.

Yet.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 11:57:16 AM PDT
Since you're here, maybe you could post some vague information (city where found, color of cover) so that of its owner does use the forum, it might get returned.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 12:14:10 PM PDT
Mary Jane says:
I know that you feel bad. I would want to get a Kindle back to the owner if I found one. Before taking it to the police, is there any way you could advertise it in your building? I get emails all the time about lost keys or lost jewelry. There are several offices in my building and the building manager will send out the notices if something is lost or found. Just a suggestions. But you don't have to worry. I believe that if the Kindle made its way back to the rightful owner, Amazon could reactivate it for them. And don't be too hard on Amazon. While it does seem to be a relatively easy thing for them to connect lost Kindles with their owners, they are such a large company and the system could very easily be open to abuse, that it would probably end up as a logistical nightmare to handle it all. Advertise it in your building and if you get no response, then take it to the police. You would have done your part.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 12:16:21 PM PDT
New Girl says:
Kindle is a product, Amazon is a company.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 12:21:01 PM PDT
Beth says:
Was it password protected? If not people sometimes have information in Settings under Personalize your Kindle. (this is an e-ink. I am not sure about the Fire)

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 1:56:56 PM PDT
Lydia Rilea says:
No, it didnt have a password, unfortunately all it had within was her name.and her kindle acct email. If she'd had anything in there, Id have.called/emailed/texted whatever. As it is, its in my offices administrators hands who will turn it.in to the police, this week. Seems a shame, but not much else I could have.done. im just reallyglad I don't have.a.Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 2:01:49 PM PDT
Just Peachy says:
I agree with Folina's example of losing a coat. A coat can cost more than a Kindle but if you leave it on the bus stop bench they you are just out of luck unless someone turns it in to lost & found and you go ask lost & found.

Do you expect every company to help recover you lost items?

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 2:09:38 PM PDT
Artist says:
You must not have any other e-reader or tablet (or any other electronic device), because no company is going to help you return one of those to the registered owner, either.

If you're worried about your mother losing her Kindle, there are companies that will do what you were expecting Amazon to do -- for a price. They send you a label to affix to your device, and if a person finds the device, they contact the company, which then arranges for the return of the device to the owner. I think it costs about $20 per label/service, though, and I'm not sure that it's good for multiple returns.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 2:10:26 PM PDT
How about I just try to not lose my chit?

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 2:20:18 PM PDT
Sure. It much nicer to not have stuff you can lose.

You can't see it, but I just did the biggest eye roll I am able to.do.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 2:23:51 PM PDT
Right? That's a reason not to enjoy an article.

I'll just *STAY COLD* rather than risk losing a good coat.
I'll just continue to *SQUINT* rather than risk losing sunglasses.
I'll just remain unadorned rather than risk losing an earring.
I'll just be incommunicado rather that risk losing my cell phone.
I'll just walk rather than risk my bicycle being stolen.

What else?

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 2:30:02 PM PDT
Just Peachy says:
Just go naked so you don't have to risk getting spaghetti sauce on your clothes.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 3:50:30 PM PDT
R. Wilde says:
I tried that, but the neighbors complained when I went to get the paper.

I don't even want to talk about what happened with the people at the bus stop.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 3:53:08 PM PDT
Artist says:
Gasp! Personal responsibility? Surely, you jest!

(Don't call me Shirley)

Posted on May 15, 2014 5:07:46 PM PDT
JJulieJ says:
Think about it folks, why couldn't Amazon set up a simple system to reunite lost Kindles with their owners after someone has found it and kindly reported that fact to Amazon? All it would take is a simple piece of software at Amazon's end, and three questions:
What is the serial number of the Kindle - so they can identify the owner
What is the finder's name - only needs to be first name
What is the finder's contact details - phone number or email address.
An email to the owner could be automatically generated "Your Kindle <serial number> has been found. Please contact <name> at <contact details> to recover it."

How hard would that be? Amazon could even have a section on their website where finders could just enter that information.

But maybe it wouldn't be worth it on Amazon's part as probably most people wouldn't be so kind as to try to track down the owner, they'd just keep the Kindle for themselves.

Or maybe Amazon would just prefer to sell another Kindle rather than provide that sort of service? And that would be disappointing :-(

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 5:11:30 PM PDT
Just Peachy says:
Someone sees you in public and wants to know you better. They steal your Kindle when you have your back turned. You think you just "lost" the Kindle. You get an email saying "contact Stalker Joe to get your Kindle back". Need I go on?

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 5:17:44 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
My name isn't Joe....

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 5:24:03 PM PDT
Artist says:
Or maybe it's just not their responsibility.

Back in 2010, they did used to send people a prepaid envelope if they found a Kindle, then forwarded it to the registered owner. Something must have happened -- either because of privacy concerns or just because it cost too much money (or too many whiny entitleds were expected Amazon to be responsible for locating their Kindles and demanded a replacement), because Amazon discontinued the practice.

Really, we can all come up with big ideas that we don't *think* would cost Amazon much time or money, but we don't know the facts. Personally, I don't run a multi-million dollar business so I have no basis for comparison.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 5:29:17 PM PDT
Lydia Rilea says:
What a sarcastic, ridiculous and unnecessary question. It was a valid comment until that moment.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 9582 2 seconds ago
Kindle Fire won't accept my wi fi password 106 1 minute ago
SwagBucks Thread 2016 424 2 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 6656 9 minutes ago
Volume control page turning for iOS 6 12 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 1914 23 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The Answers Are Blowing In The Wind 1376 23 minutes ago
A amount of 105.93 7 25 minutes ago
app store not working 57 37 minutes ago
Credit card for kindle 3 39 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  94
Initial post:  May 14, 2014
Latest post:  May 16, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions