Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Reading immersion on the Kindle Fire HD 8.9

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2012 2:22:49 AM PST
rosieinwa says:
I just received my Kindle Fire HD and was trying to activate the reading immersion feature. I downloaded the ebook and then the audio book, but I can't seem to get this feature to work. I looked at trouble shooting and could not find anything on the subject. Can anyone give me some pointers on how this works? Thank you.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 2:51:08 AM PST
Have you checked out this page - http://audible.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4146/session/L3RpbWUvMTM1MzE0OTM5Mi9zaWQva1QyUkl1Ymw%3D

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:05:21 AM PST
rosieinwa says:
Yes I did and there isn't a "play" icon. Thanks for you help.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:12:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 9:14:40 AM PST
So you just need to know where the play icon is? Since your original posts wasn't very clear on what you needed, I couldn't be more specific. Let me check or maybe someone else will reply now that we know what you need.

Edit - Are you having problems with just one title or all books that you have purchased both the book and the audio copy? Please post a title that you are having issues with.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:32:09 AM PST
rosieinwa says:
I just wanted to try one book to see how it works. I downloaded Dracula ebook and the audio book. It states on my audible account that I have successfully downloaded the ebook and audio book and will be able to listen/read at the same time; however, I can't seem to get it to work. When I looked up the items on my Kindle Fire HD there is a tab that states "read and listen now," but again, there isn't a play icon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:35:57 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Looks like there are some videos on YouTube. They will probably show you what you need to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:32:02 PM PST
Sarita LP says:
I am having the same problem. I downloaded the free immersion examples, both the ebook and associated audiobooks (as advertised for Dracula, Jane Eyre, Wizard of Oz, etc), and none have the play button where it should be for immersion reading. My Audible and Amazon accounts are linked. It's odd how it's clearly advertised in the bookstore to try out the immersion experience for free but then has such a hiccup in its execution.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:43:10 PM PST
YepIt'sBecky says:
Did you turn on text to speech, it comes turn off. To turn it on tap on screen select aA and then turn on text to speech. When you tap screen the button should be visible.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:55:18 PM PST
Sarita LP says:
Text-to-speech works with no problem---that's the robot voice. Immersion reading is the swanky, new feature that is supposed to play the audiobook (in this case, a non-robot, celebrity voice) while you read. (So far the score is robots = 1 point, and celebrities = 0.)

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 11:38:06 PM PST
Nobody says:
It works on my Fire.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 4:46:10 PM PST
Sarita LP says:
As a follow-up, I checked again today and my immersion play button has finally appeared, so it's working for me now (on the freebie books). The button should hopefully be there for you too, Jacque. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 5:51:41 PM PST
rosieinwa says:
I just checked the book I downloaded (Dracula) and the immersion play button still isn't there. So, I guess I will just listen to it on my audiobooks. Thanks for your update and I am glad that yours is working.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 10:48:00 AM PST
C. Larrieu says:
Jacque, I had a similar problem. Immersion reading was working just fine for several titles on my Fire HD 7. When I swapped it for an HD 8.9, some titles would not display the play button, while others would. After an hour with Amazon support, they asked me to deregister the kindle, reset it, then re-register it. After doing that, all titles worked again. I imagine they have a few kinks to iron out of the system to prevent this from happening in the first place. You might want to give that a try.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 1:11:36 PM PST
Did you have to reload your books, music, and audiobooks after that? I've spent the last four days downloading books and apps and I'd hate to lose them.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 12:52:53 PM PST
C. Larrieu says:
Yeah, I had to re-download everything. No big deal over decent wifi. I imagine it could be painful over cellular data.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 4:16:31 PM PST
It started working on my kfhd...not sure why. It seems to be working just fine now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 4:35:15 PM PST
Dlee says:
If I recall correctly, it did not work when the Kindles were released for sale but a later update took care of it. Maybe... that update doesn't happen until a person needs it to happen? I'm glad it kick-started for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 1:04:29 PM PST
Dan Shankle says:
INTERESTING! I have noticed that EVERYTHING I have downloaded takes as long as 24 hours to either appear on my HD OR function at all. Doesn't seem to matter whether its a Book, App, if it comes from Amazon .. can just about COUNT on it NOT appearing OR functioning for at MINIMUM of 4 hours from time of download. Have talked with support a number of times. DO try SYNCHing your HD with the item... MAY help... otherwise just W-A-I-T!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 3:30:59 AM PST
Judith says:
Has anyone found the answer yet?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 3:48:11 AM PST
~nospin says:
This is an old thread and discusses when the feature first appeared.

Your issues are not the same.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 9:52:23 AM PST
Judith says:
http://audible.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4146/session/L3RpbWUvMTM1MzE0OTM5Mi9zaWQva1QyUkl1Ymw%3D#wsfv2

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 3:20:26 PM PST
S. Rhodes says:
I was having similar issues. The solution is actually pretty simple. What happens is that your audiobook has become desynced from the eBook itself. If you want to re-enable the professional narration you simply need to go into your settings and click on Sync. This will pair your audiobook up with the proper ebook again. So try and sync your Kindle and see if that works.

Posted on Jul 26, 2013 8:19:38 AM PDT
I am thinking of purchasing the Fire for my 10 year old son - He has an iPad with the kindle app, but it doesn't work on that? Does everyone like the immersion reading??? I have an audible account and already have a ton of books for him, it looks great but was wondering how everyone liked it??

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2013 9:20:08 AM PDT
~nospin says:
I love it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2013 9:40:34 AM PDT
I'm just wondering what the purpose is, though? I'm kind of thinking, for myself, that it would be a bit distracting to have the audio playing at the same time I'm reading a book, since a person can read quicker than a narrator can speak. Or is my sense of what the immersion function does a faulty one?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 18, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions