Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD 8.9 screen flashing/flickering

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2012 2:52:25 PM PST
Tim says:
Having issues with my Fire that the screen is randomly flickering. Quite annoying.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 2:57:07 PM PST
You might want to Contact Customer Service, seeing your device is under warranty

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 3:49:15 PM PST
Gary says:
Same problem. Held off button for 20 sec. Seems ok now.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 9:10:37 PM PST
H.R. Namata says:
any known fix for this? my kindle fire hd does this as well...

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 8:02:49 PM PST
My Kindle Fire HD does this. It's intermittent, but getting worse.

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 6:29:49 PM PST
Mine was doing this and it got worse. I called customer service and they did a factory reset. That jus meant I had to reload everything. 24 hours later it's doing it again.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 1:34:26 PM PST
Radiojock says:
Hmmm. I'm noticing this tonight whilst playing Bejeweled....

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 1:51:44 PM PST
MikeJW says:
Like the first couple of responses said... try rebooting, holding the power button for 30 seconds. Otherwise contact Kindle customer service.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 4:41:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2013 6:27:27 PM PST
Radiojock says:
Yeah, Mike. That's the procedure I would normally use. For now, after that, I recharged, although the batt was almost full. I also removed the setting for the Kindle to handle it's own auto-light and am setting my brightness myself to see if that does anything. I know the Kindle doesn't like being outside in this cold weather, so I'm testing that as well. Thanks muchly. :)

UPDATE: Just played another full game of Bejeweled and the annoying/puzzling flickering has stopped. Reset the Brightness mode to automatic again and all is well! Stumped as to what happened, but after another full charge and the initial two or three hard resets, the problems seems to have disappeared. Glad smiles!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2013 3:42:23 PM PDT
clw2381 says:
Is it still working okay?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2013 4:59:59 PM PDT
Radiojock says:
If you're asking me, clw2381, then yes. I had one more glitch of the same kind come up again but never since. All is well, now, thank goodness! Forgive me if you were speaking to someone else! Jen. :)

Posted on May 23, 2013 3:14:16 AM PDT
harmony says:
I am having the same issue with mine will this reboot actually fix it or is this a sign my screen is going bad?

Posted on May 23, 2013 3:21:23 AM PDT
Radiojock says:
I doubt it's going bad, harmony. Mine stopped doing it eventually. They really don't like the cold! Mine doesn't, anyway! Are you getting this regularly, or just occasionally? I only noticed it when playing Bejewelled.

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 7:56:12 AM PST
Mine does it in all games... Its really annoying and gave me a headache... sounds to me like a software problem with brightness setting. I changed mine to manual with no effect.... less annoying when darker... Maybe if we complain enough they'll do a firmware update??

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 8:04:02 AM PST
Radiojock says:
Tell you what, James, mine's just started doing it again. Perhaps it suffers more from this in the winter as I never get it happen in the warmer weather. Why not phone Amazon and ask their advice? I did, yesterday about a completely different issue. The person I spoke to was lovely, and my suggestion for a Firmware update will be passed on to the Techs. Give it a try, and I hope the flashing sorts itself out for us all!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2013 8:09:36 AM PST
Weather not an issue here- Im in florida and 85* today !! Problem is intermittent.... if it came up all the time I could fix what Im doing..... but intermittent tells me there is a bug.

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 8:34:26 AM PST
Radiojock says:
Wow, for me, that's midsummer temps! Just checked on my converter app. (I read in Celsius). I'm using the 7" version of the Fire that was available last year. Bought mine in November. I might have another chat with someone since mine's started this again. I find it hard to believe but my weather station is reading 9C (48.2). And it's true, I only ever get this in the winter. Not all the time, but within a fast moving game, it's sometimes very noticeable.

Time for a chat with someone, methinks! Happy New Year, James, and thanks for reply.

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 7:33:53 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 3, 2014 7:36:09 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2014 10:34:11 AM PDT
How do I reset the brightness or auto-light. The 3 yr old had it and now the screen is almost black, full battery.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2014 11:03:21 AM PDT
apps- settings-display - autobright

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2014 11:52:58 AM PDT
I find the auto-brightness really annoying, so I have mine turned off. To change the brightness manually, swipe down from the top, and Brightness will be one of the choices.

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 4:50:46 PM PDT
Radiojock says:
Diana: from the main screen, flick the menu bar down from the top. Brightness is clearly listed. Tap it and scroll the bar to the brightness you desire.

Posted on May 5, 2014 10:29:00 AM PDT
My Kindle Fire flickered like a camp fire. Automatic brightness setting had no effect. I removed it from the protective cover that used magnets to secure it closed. I think the magnets interfered with the brightness control. Long story short. . . NO MORE FLICKER! I attribute flicker problem to the magnets.

Posted on May 5, 2014 10:47:42 AM PDT
Radiojock says:
Good point!

Posted on Aug 26, 2014 6:22:09 PM PDT
I haven't used mine for the whole summer because I only use it to read my textbooks for class. Now that the battery is drained completely I tried charging it but it just flickers the logo a bit and then the battery symbol flickers too but it stops and I can't tell if it's charging or not. I need it for class tomorrow! I don't know what to do!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
58 4 hours ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 Sep 18, 2015
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 Sep 18, 2015
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
FREE Books & Chat (FB&C) December 2015 6 21 seconds ago
Kindle Voyage 23 33 minutes ago
December 2015 Informal Poll; What Are You Reading? 1 46 minutes ago
November 2015 Informal Poll; What Are You Reading? 415 54 minutes ago
Al's Place 36 Degrees of Separation 559 56 minutes ago
Fire Pin number 22 1 hour ago
FREE Books and Chat (FB&C) November 2015 1186 1 hour ago
New Fire HD drops wifi! 99 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 2, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions