Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Migraines and Kindle Paperwhite

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 30, 2012 11:02:54 PM PST
Evan Bacon says:
I suffer from migraines and can't always use screens. I've had problems with my wife's nook as well as the family iPad. Typical computer screens are a typical trigger for me. I see that people have noticed that the regular Kindle does not trigger their migraines. I have yet to see any reviews for those who have the Paperwhite.

My wife won a contest at work and the prize is a Paperwhite. We just want to find out how other migraine sufferers feel about the Paperwhite not the regular Kindle.

Thanks a bunch.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 11:08:45 PM PST
Evan - The Paperwhite is a "regular Kindle", it just has lighting from the front. I get migraines that are triggered by some lights, too. However, the Paperwhite hasn't caused any problems for me. I really enjoy reading on it. You can also adjust the light and even turn it almost off so that's it barely discernible.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 11:10:13 PM PST
Evan Bacon says:
Oh, oops. Glad that got sorted out. Thanks a bunch for the quick reply.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 11:14:22 PM PST
Evan - You're welcome. Also, I've been reading on my Keyboard Kindle for years and have not had a problem. The Paperwhite seems equally as "easy on the eyes" and I keep the light turned up quite high, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 11:18:16 PM PST
R. D. Clark says:
Computer screens refresh at a rate of (typically) 60 times per second, and sometimes it's this subliminal rapid flickering that triggers headaches or vision issues in some people. E-ink screens do not refresh except with page turns (every turn, or every 6 turns, depending on the Kindle and its settings).

The LED lights in a PaperWhite run on DC, so there is no flicker in the lights. If you have a flashlight or such with a white LED bulb in it, you can shine it on a piece of paper and see if it bothers you. If not, neither should the PaperWhite.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 11:32:24 PM PST
AkBigMama says:
evan. i have had severe diabilitating migraines and migraine clusters since i was 9 yrs old
i am now a 55year old with the intensity of migraines that cant even be discribed as a life
my sons however want to encourage my love of words and genres of reading that they
bought me a kindle. i tried it out by reading as much as possible with the brightest setting i could use and was over the moon to know i could read again..next they bought
me a kindle fire and a ipad. only once have i had to dim the light.hope this helps you out.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 6:42:13 AM PST
Esse says:
I have migraines and Paperwhite doesn't trigger them as along as the lighting on the PW is appropriate for the ambient lighting. If the PW is too bright, it can give me eye strain and I stop reading before a full migraine is triggered.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 6:51:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 7:53:50 AM PST
~nospin says:
Serious migraine sufferer here.

No problem with t he Paper white. Remember to adjust the light to the situation.

Congratulations on your prize!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 7:51:05 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
It is always very important to adjust the light to the dituation for sure ;-p

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 7:54:20 AM PST
~nospin says:
Hint taken.
Typos repaired.

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 11:20:37 PM PDT
jack green says:
I still get headaches even when I adjust the light. I don't get them using iBooks on my iPhone. Any suggestions?

Posted on Jun 6, 2013 2:39:39 PM PDT
Kat says:
I love my paper white Kindle. I can download books that I could not find before. I can watch the computer screen for hours and not get a migraine headache, not so with the Kindle. I stayed away from the Kindle Fire for this reason. But the regular Paper White gives me migraine headaches. It does not cause severe migraines, so I suffer through them because I want to read the books. Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2013 2:45:46 PM PDT
Kat, your post is confusing. You say you love your Paperwhite. Then you say it gives you migraines. Then you say it doesn't cause severe migraines...

Posted on Jun 9, 2013 12:22:07 PM PDT
KathyL says:
I also get migraines, but fortunately my Paperwhite has never triggered one. Enjoy your reading!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 13 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Ten Favorite (new to me) Books of 2014 18 20 seconds ago
RAoK 79/80 - Tis the Season, and the end of the year! 1896 21 seconds ago
FREE Books and Chat (FB&C) - Monday, 29 December 2014 3 54 seconds ago
Blocking explicit songs on Prime Music 0 9 minutes ago
Organizing Books on Kindle Fire 272 9 minutes ago
fire tv stick 7 11 minutes ago
move kindle info to new kindle fire 0 12 minutes ago
New Kindle Fire HD keeps shutting off 329 15 minutes ago
Gear icon for Settings has disappeared 2 21 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Dec 30, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions