Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle fire will not power up

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2011 5:19:14 AM PST
ANy one else have this issue? Have had my Kindle fire for less than 4 weeks, and it will not turn on or power up. When I push the ON button, it lights up green for a sec and does not come on. It has been working fine, but this morning it would not come on.
Going to call product support

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 5:43:34 AM PST
Is the battery completely discharged? I would recommend you plug it in for a while (several hours) and see what happens. I had the same issue with a Flip video camera new out of the box. My ipod touch does this too if it is DEAD. I have been using my new Fire a LOT, and tend to charge it overnight, as it does take 4+ hours to charge. Just wondering if it's a dead, dead battery that will recover with some good feeding. The Fire batteries do NOT last like the other Kindles (my hubbie has a KTouch, and I think he's changed it once this month, and he reads every day...) Good luck!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 7:09:34 AM PST
JazzMan313 says:
hey im having same issue right now let me know if keeping it charged in works

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 6:42:45 PM PST
Actually, holding the power button for 10-20 seconds caused it to reboot and work fine.

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 8:10:40 PM PST
4walls says:
Thanks for the advice. I powered it off. Then, it got frozen on a partially lit screen when I booted up. So, I held power button down and after 10 seconds screen went black. Held down power button again and after about 10 seconds it powered up, detected many networks, and connected to our home wi-fi. Never underestimate the power of the reboot!

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 3:03:43 AM PST
Thanks Cindy! I was having the same problem and that fixed it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 3:47:47 AM PST
S. Prewitt says:
Is this you on another thread?
"Okay started acting funny today and finally able to shut it down. Tried the whole re-boot thing but still nothing. Nothing at all. No power, no green light, no screen, nothing. Any ideas?"

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 12:55:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2012 7:28:27 PM PST
After doing some Web research, I found that this problem is quite common. I think I might have the fix (sort of), one that I have not yet read anywhere else. I tried all the reboot processes. Sometimes they worked, but usually they didn't. I started thinking about returning the Fire for a refund, but I want to have it for testing new "cloud-mode" publication ideas. I hate to return stuff by mail, and this thing could easily fall into the wrong hands in transit. So I decided to give it every chance that I could.

If you shut the Kindle Fire completely down (not sleep mode, but all the way off) and it doesn't respond the next time you try to use it, don't do anything after you hit the power button for the first time. Just wait. And wait. And wait. Within a minute or so (maybe three or four minutes in the worst case) the thing should come on spontaneously. If you run out of patience and go get a cup of coffee and then come back to the Fire a few minutes later, it will probably have come on and then gone to sleep. In that case you can hit the power button again, quickly, just once. It should wake up instantly. Then you can swipe the screen, and all systems should be go.

This issue appears to constitute a software/firmware bug that affects a lot of Kindle Fires. The power button itself works fine, as evidenced by the complete lack of problems going in and out of sleep mode. The problem is a counterintuitive delay with that tiny green light.

By the way, I had to go online, download the PDF for the user manual, and read through its first few pages to find that doggone power button in the first place. I'm not the brighest bulb in the barn, but I don't think I'm that stupid either. Whatever happened to good old fashioned positive-action power switches?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 1:20:46 AM PST
S. Prewitt says:
Unless Amazon is willing to confirm--in writing--that what you describe is a known bug affecting all Kindle Fires, I suggest you return yours for a new one. I guess I'm not as patient as you are.

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 9:47:35 AM PDT
R. Hicken says:
I had my kindle fire for 1 month, and started having the problem. It would not turn on, and would not charge. Problem was random, but got worse and worse till I could not use it at all. I called Amazon, and they were really easy to work with, and sent another one. Within 2 weeks the new one was having the same problem as the old one. I am treating it well, not letting my kids play on it, not leaving it lying around. This is a huge problem. I am starting to think about getting my money back rather than having them send me a 3rd kindle that may just have the problem again.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 6:00:25 AM PDT
Exact same thing is happening to me. I charged it all night and still won't power up. I just get the green light for a second and that's it.

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 10:51:23 PM PDT
isaac says:
Well I have had my kindle since july and its now october so 4 months and it has done the whole green light and then fail to turn on!!! Do you think amazon will still send me a new one??? It has been 4 months so lemme know.???

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 10:53:01 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 12, 2012 10:59:51 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 7:00:39 PM PST
3D watcher says:
thanks for the tip about holding the power button down for ~20 seconds. That worked.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 4:06:14 PM PST
Jade Lily says:
tried all the resetting tips. holding for 20 secs, shutting down completely, nothing works. charged for over 24 hrs. still nothing. just a screen with a lock at the bottom right. any ideas. kindle fire difficult to return. ordered via amazon. I'm in a different country from the US. thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2013 10:03:05 AM PDT
LIZZY says:
Thanks worked great..

Posted on Jun 7, 2013 12:05:11 PM PDT
tried all the stuff suggested here....nothing worked....emailed customer support....told them I tried all the suggested fixes....their answer was....try the suggested fixes....GREAT CUSTOMER SUPPORT....got my fire as a gift.....would never buy one myself....support is non-existent.......

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2013 1:16:57 PM PDT
Mike says:
You'd be a LOT better off talking or chatting with Kindle customer service.

Posted on Oct 4, 2013 2:22:46 PM PDT
I've had my Kindle Fire for a little over 2 years and yesterday was the first time that I ran into this issue where it would not power on, not even the green light. The fix that worked for me was holding the power button down for 20 seconds and it then booted fine. I also have a 2nd Generation Kindle that I still love for reading books outside.

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 5:00:20 PM PST
Thunder says:
Iv'e had my kindle fire hd for 11 months and it wont power up anymore. I tried rebooting it about 5 times this week and it turns on and turns right back off

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2014 8:36:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2014 8:48:05 AM PST
lynn kerber says:
My Kindle Fire did the same thing. I noticed that I no longer have a Kindle file tab on my drive.
I am assuming without this my UBS port and cable would not work.

I just plugged the UBS end of the cable into my IPHONE charge unit (Direct into 110 Volt) and it started working.

Posted on May 18, 2014 3:18:58 PM PDT
lleach says:
Has anyone figured this out? Mine won't turn on past the title screen. Chatted with someone from CS and they suggested I try resetting. I had already done that tons of times to no avail and its out of warranty by a few months so I'm screwed. Things basically a really expensive paperweight now. What a disappointment.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2014 5:48:46 AM PDT
lynn kerber says:
Power it off . Then use an external adaptor (not your PC USB)
Then power up

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2014 1:46:40 PM PDT
Paige Bryan says:
Thank you so much. This was bothering me as nothing I tried worked but your response helped. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2014 4:03:47 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 30, 2014 4:04:52 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 2 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Transferring Kindle books to Calibre 16 1 minute ago
BAAA© Amazing Kindle Books and Helpful Tips #3 2627 2 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 5228 3 minutes ago
is there an app for that? 5314 4 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Manic Gardens, Roof Possums, Goat Spanx, Flailing Yahoos and So Geese! And Cherie! 4631 5 minutes ago
Is there a Kindle "family plan"?? 26 9 minutes ago
Does this one have a sd card slot 96 10 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 4451 11 minutes ago
Al's Place 35mm 5277 12 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 30, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions