Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire vs. other android tablets (not ipad or nook!)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 109 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 30, 2011 10:24:01 AM PDT
 Ann says:
Okay, there have been plenty of discussions asking about the Kindle Fire vs. the Ipad, the Kindle Fire vs. dedicated e-readers, the Kindle Fire vs. Nook Color, etc.

What I haven't come across is a good discussion of the Kindle Fire vs. other 7-8" android tablets. It seems to me that that would be a more useful comparison. If I'm looking for a small tablet, what are the advantages of the KFire over other small tablets?

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 10:29:27 AM PDT
Amanda Green says:
Amazon content and CS. That's the advantage. Also, low price without a service contract.

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 10:32:03 AM PDT
Ann says: what are the advantages of the KFire over other small tablets?

Amazon's outstanding customer service, Amazon's vast in-house Android App store, Amazon's extremely well integrated services such as Cloud Storage, MP3 store, video streaming, etc..., not to mention Amazon's excellent eBook store ala the Kindle and Kindle app for Android, and last but not least, why get the Fire (?) - just because. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 10:45:57 AM PDT
 Ann says:
Um, couldn't I shop the Android App store, use Cloud storage, buy from the MP3 store and kindle store, stream video, etc. from some other android tablet? I feel like I'm missing something here. Again, why THIS tablet over some other tablet.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 10:56:53 AM PDT
have a Toshiba Thrive - just because I couldnt wait for Amazon's tablet. ALL the apps that I have put on myself were all downloaded from Amazon, all the music has been downloaded from "the Cloud". But I still ordered the Fire - it will be nice to have a spare for my husband or my daughters, nieces, sisters.... when they are around. So yes - you can use another android table, but for the price I think the Fire is a great deal!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 7:19:40 AM PDT
TechGuy says:
for two hundred bucks?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 7:22:55 AM PDT
Erich says:
Maybe... but not as seemlessly and easily as the Fire will. And likely not for the $199 price point.

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 7:23:56 AM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
This is a job for Caroline Wong!

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 7:50:16 AM PDT
Crash 86 says:
The price on the Fire is really good.... but. The thing that puts me off of the Fire is the limited internal memory. I know you have unlimited cloud storage but if you want to access your content you have to stream it off of your wi-fi. You can only download so much before space runs out, this is a problem if you want to travel or are in a place with no wi-fi access.
Samsung have a 7 inch tablet out there for about 200 bucks more. You can get a model with 16 gig internal storage WITH the capacity of installing a micro sd card (up to 32 gigs) for extra storage. You can use the Amazon MP3 store and the Amazon apps store on it as well as the Kindle reader. You can store more on it if you want to travel or go someplace with no wi-fi access.

Now I know that price is a big issue for a lot of people so a more pricier tab with more storage may be a stretch for people. Amazon has an amazing customer service that is unrivalled and is another big plus. As someone who travels quite a bit I feel that the Samsung fits my needs better in terms of storage capability. It all depends on what your financial situation is, what your needs are and if you are happy with streaming all your content. I would suggest drawing up a list of things you want over things you can do without when it comes to choosing a tablet (or any other electronic device for that matter) and go from there. decide where and what you are going to use it for. Just my 2 cents

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 7:52:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2011 7:54:35 AM PDT
Ann I don't think there are any other android tablets available at $200 that offer what the Fire will in a tablet featuring the latest technology. Yes there are a lot of cheap android tablets available but lack the technology and useability of the Fire as a media device. To gain all the other features some want, 3G, camera, mic etc. you have to pay way more than $200 plus for connectivity a monthly contract.
Of course with any electronics device something better will be available next year. You just have to decide whether you want to wait hoping for something slightly better at a lower price or have it now. First generation products are usually more expensive to offset research and production start up costs. I paid $359 for my K2 but have never regretted it, because I had a year or more of use that I would not have had if I had waited. I also have a 7" Galaxy Tab that I enjoy also, but from what I have read it will not do what the Fire will.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 7:55:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2011 7:55:42 AM PDT
Erich says:
"Samsung have a 7 inch tablet out there for about 200 bucks more. You can get a model with 16 gig internal storage WITH the capacity of installing a micro sd card (up to 32 gigs) for extra storage."

That's DOUBLE the price of the Fire. Sure, of course you'll get for memory. Ultimately, it depends on what you think is more important and how you'll use the device. Many people will be more than happy with 8GB, especially if you're always connected to the Cloud. Travelers and people who are away from wi-fi may need to spring for a more expensive model with more internal memory.

If you need/want a device with massive amounts of onboard memory that isn't dependent on a constant wi-fi connection, the Fire may not be the best choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 8:00:06 AM PDT
When you travel, do you have a laptop with you? Couldn't you use it to store the majority of the music, and just have the current 600 or so songs on the Fire at one time?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 8:14:11 AM PDT
S. Dunham says:
Ann,
It's not about comparing all the tablets, it's about what you will use a tablet for. If you are looking for a netbook replacement, you would probably want an Ipad or similar 10" tablet. If you just want something for media/games/email/web browsing, the Kindle Fire or nookcolor would be more suited. And when you figure out what you need from a tablet, then look at what is offered.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 9:00:57 AM PDT
Q says:
Hi M Francis. Yes, that's what I do. I never travel without at least my lightweight netbook with me. I keep all of my music, movies & photos stored on that, so traveling with an 8GB Fire should be no problem. I can access my downloaded library at any time via my netbook.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 9:02:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2011 9:04:04 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
The cheap tablets out there do not have access to the Android Market. They have to either use a cheap knock off site or now that Amazon has there's up and running this site. Also check out the specs of those cheaper tablets. You will find Amazon's has better specs.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 10:10:00 AM PDT
The main advantage is price for the specs. Other 7" Android tablets will be able to do everything the Fire can plus more (camera, GPS, bluetooth, microphone etc) but the good ones are 2X the cost of the Fire. They will also be able to use Amazon's Cloud services and buy Amazon's media. They will have access to both Amazon Appstore and the Google Android Market

So far, the best of the 7" tablets running Honeycomb are Samsung Galaxy 7 Plus, Lenovo IdeaPad and Acer Iconia A100. The other good 7" tablets running older versions of Android are Samsung Galaxy 7 and HTC Flyer.

There will be more as Google just released Ice Cream Sandwich which is suppose to be able to work on all devices from phone size to tablet size. Prior to Honeycomb 3.2, 7" tablets were caught in no-man's land being too large for phone OS and too small for Honeycomb 3.0. Some bloggers are saying Ice Cream Sandwich is the OS Honeycomb was meant to be.

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 10:41:23 AM PDT
do you know if you can use your phone as a hotspot and connect the fire to it?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 10:43:43 AM PDT
@G. Groesbeck,

We don't know for sure but it's one of the first things I'll try when I get mine. It probably can as most phones make a wi-fi hot spot. It might not because Amazon said the Fire won't support ad-hoc wi-fi.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 10:55:36 AM PDT
Thanks for answering me :)

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 11:10:55 AM PDT
I just spoke to support and they say no...that is a real shame.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 12:48:39 PM PDT
MamaSylvia says:
> what your needs are and if you are happy with streaming all your content.

This is what a lot of people aren't getting. The Fire is not going to be right for everyone. No single product is. The people who will nearly always be using it at home or on another WiFi system to watch movies and listen to music will probably be quite happy with it. For someone like me, who reads WAY more than watches and is out-and-about as much as at home, it is not the right choice. (The best choice for me today is my wonderful Samsung Galaxy Precedent prepaid smartphone with a 16 gig SD card, which I can back up my irreplaceable files to every time I leave the house. But who knows what tech marvels will be released tomorrow?)

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 7:14:05 PM PST
mckaylively says:
I agree with everything posted here about integration being the icong on the Fire's cake. However, as others have argued there are hundreds of 7-8" tablets out there that do everything the Fire does and also access the full Android Market. After extensive research, I ordered a Herotab C8 from an Amazon seller. The tablet packs a serious punch performance wise, does everything the Fire does and offers full Android Market access right out of thw box - all for $189.00. I'm not getting into the specs, but if you're in the market for an entry-level tablet check the Herotab C8 out.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 8:29:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2011 8:30:57 PM PST
Q says:
Depends. I suspect that the Fire's GUI will make a better version of book reading than their present "Kindle for Android", but we shall have to see what features are offered on the K Fire, reading-wise.

Magazines don't work on the "Kindle for..." apps, so I'm not certain that folks using Kindle for Android on another tablet will be able to read mags like on the Fire.

I was just looking at National Geographic on the NookColor tonight. *Very* cleverly done. Great access to every blurb & article along with the photos. Just a very nice magazine experience, in spite of a smaller screen than the printed issue.

I think the Kindle Fire will be *at least* as good as that on magazine access & reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 8:56:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2011 9:04:33 AM PST
Surveyah says:
"After extensive research, I ordered a Herotab C8 from an Amazon seller."

can u post the Amazon link to the Herotab C8? I could not find it in search.....

UPDATE: nm...i found it :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 11:24:53 AM PST
Q says:
mckaylively,
It looks like the Herotab C8 has a single-core processor while the K Fire has a dual-core processor.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
July 2016 Informal Poll -- What are you reading? 162 9 minutes ago
My email icon has disappeared from my carousel. 22 22 minutes ago
Can't download apps to my Kindle Fire 81 29 minutes ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 2293 29 minutes ago
Fire stick drops network connection 1560 32 minutes ago
Kindle Fire HD won't charge?! 386 38 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 7972 40 minutes ago
Downloading to a computer to transfer to a Kindle. 8 55 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 4040 57 minutes ago
Oasis Giveaway Update 91 58 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  68
Total posts:  109
Initial post:  Sep 30, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 2, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions