Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

The April 2013 Informal Poll - What are you reading

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 370 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 1, 2013 6:56:06 AM PDT
Patsy says:
I've taken the liberty of copying Charlene's "copy" of Michael's usual post:

"Here's how this works - list a book you are currently reading or just recently read on your Kindle (insert the product link using the little button above the text box in the discussion forum so others can find it), whether you would recommend it, did you get it free, and anything else you would care to share.

And here's my standard continuation of each month's request for prior participants in the poll: if you like or dislike a title you have read, in addition to telling us about it in this informal poll, how about writing a book review on the Amazon website? The review will certainly last and be visible a lot longer than this poll will. If you're like me, you look at the customer reviews in order to see if you want to investigate a book further. Since we are all a little community here, and while I realize each review is each person's opinion and we may not like the same thing, I know your friends and online discussion neighbors would appreciate your honest assessment of the likes and dislikes without providing a spoiler - I know I would! Your reviews don't need to be a long dissertation of the book, I like to keep them short, sweet, and (hopefully) to the point.

Anyway, that's all for now. Have a great April!"

And thanks to Michael for starting this thread almost every month and for Charlene who started November and for all the posters who take the time to share what they are reading. I know I have found many an enjoyable book from this thread.

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 7:05:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2013 7:06:59 AM PDT
Patsy says:
Banged around my TBR list and Archives and had a heck of a time deciding what kind of book I was in the mood for..., realizing that I have seen the movie but not read the book - I decided to read the sample of Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot Mysteries). Oh yeah, grabbed me right from the start, so I downloaded the book. I'm about 20% in and of course - loving every word.

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 7:20:33 AM PDT
Denise Long says:
Bleak House
The Hangman's Daughter

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 7:21:48 AM PDT
I started Nate in Venice (Kindle Single) last night and am enjoying it so far. I love Richard Russo's writing.

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 7:22:12 AM PDT
April already...

I spent the morning finishing Cupcakes, Pies, and Hot Guys (An Annie Graceland Mystery) which was OK - good for its genre, if that makes sense. Then I finished Pride, Prejudice, and Cheese Grits (Austen Takes the South) which was sweet. Apparently there used to be formatting issues with it, but this re-issue (free last week or so) was not badly formatted for my KK at least. Inspirational fiction, but with enough historical detail and Jane Austen to keep me very happy. A nice read on a lazy day off:)

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 7:22:35 AM PDT
Snagged Hounds of Autumn when it was free the other day. :0)

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 7:30:04 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Catch-22

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 7:36:35 AM PDT
I've been flitting between books because nothing was really catching my attention. I started A Wrinkle in Time and The Hangman's Daughter, and will probably finish both eventually (Wrinkle is a re-read for me; it was a much-loved book during my teen years), but my attention has shifted to Columbine. I'm only about 30% in, but I'm enjoying this (as much as one can "enjoy" a book about a school shooting). It's well-written, and easy to follow, even though it's not written chronologically.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2013 7:41:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2013 7:41:32 AM PDT
Thanks for starting us off, Patsy!

I am reading an old horror classic: The Willows and then my group will be starting Bottled Abyss (Redrum Horror) which is nominated for a Stoker award.

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 8:31:07 AM PDT
fourthdaymom says:
I'm hoping I will finish Beach Season during my lunch hour. It is a compilation of four books. I loved the first, hated the second. The third and last are good, but not as good as the first. I'm going to be looking for something a little more complex for the next book. I like the romance when I'm busy and don't have time to get really involved in a book, but get tired of it really fast.

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 8:59:10 AM PDT
Denise says:
I'm going to finish off yesterday's KDD of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and then get into Speaking from Among the Bones: A Flavia de Luce Novel. I had put myself on a reading fast for three months, limiting myself to books already on my TBR pile by 12/31/12. When the latest Flavia book came out in January, it nearly killed me to not read it until now.

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 9:00:14 AM PDT
grannypatt says:
I just finish The Lost Wife I'll give it a 4 stars..Love the stories from that time period...and what a great love story this one was..

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 9:21:09 AM PDT
Laurie says:
I've just finished The Infernal Devices 3: Clockwork Princess. I honestly was not sure I was going to like this book as much as the other two but it ended up terrific. I'm still reading Grave Mercy (Book I): His Fair Assassin, Book I (His Fair Assassin Trilogy). I like this book but for some reason I keep putting it aside and then picking it up. So little time, so many books!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2013 9:33:43 AM PDT
Can't wait to see what you think of it, Nisi!

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 9:38:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2013 10:32:20 AM PDT
Willow3§3 says:
Happy April. I have been jumping around quite a bit in my reading this past week, but I did finish The Medium (Emily Chambers Spirit Medium Trilogy #1). I give this one a solid 3.5 stars (and it's free!). It did leave me yearning for Julia Grey's world just a little (same time period), but the story is interesting & well thought out & I did find that I like the characters. I plan to read the next in the series.

eta: One note on the kindle format, the font is abnormally small and doesn't allow for the functionality of changing it to a different font. I was able to get past this by enlarging the font on my kindle to accomodate it.

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 9:45:47 AM PDT
deb217 says:
I started listening to The Da Vinci Code on my walk this morning. I like the audiobook a lot. I read the book when it first came out and it was very good -- a very long time ago.

I am going to start reading The Shining by Stephen King also. Why??? because SK is coming out with a new book based on the kid in "The Shining", who is an adult now, titled Doctor Sleep: A Novel. I did not read "The Shining" or see the movie. Apparently, Stephen King did not like the movie because it was not true to the book and that's good enough for me. If I really like "The Shining", I will have to think long and hard about shelling out the $14.99 for "Doctor Sleep" (The chances of that happening are pretty slim).

Susan, isn't the audiobook of Relic (Pendergast, Book 1) great? I love listening to scary audiobooks when I walk my great dane because I walk faster and longer. Bonnie and I get a very good workout.

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 10:19:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2013 10:19:47 AM PDT
Just finished Tales of Hi and Bye: Greeting and Parting Rituals Around the World. Interesting, but somewhat superficial, which surprised me considering that it was a University publication. Probably 4 stars, but I would have liked it to be a bit more scholarly.

Then, because I still had 10 minutes left of lunch and didn't want to get back to work, I started God Save the Queen, which has thoroughly grabbed me, and made me *really* not want to get back to work!

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 10:57:17 AM PDT
Coach D says:
I just finished the 3rd book in the Atlantis series by Bob Mayer: ATLANTIS: DEVIL'S SEA. Very good sci-fi action. I have enjoyed each story in this series so far. I have the 4th book on my Kindle already. Bob has so many books out there that it seems as if I read at least one to two of his books each month. I have liked them all. I am also hooked on his Area 51 series as well. I have read the 1st two in that series and have books 3, 4, and 5 on my Kindle. I love the ending on each one so far...always a race towards to the end and it is almost impossible to stop reading during the last 15% or so.

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 11:24:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2013 11:29:40 AM PDT
I'm 60% into Sarah Silverman's The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee. So far I'm enjoying it.

I just started audio version of The Way of Kings (Stormlight Archive, The).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2013 12:02:10 PM PDT
Susan Solin says:
@deb217 - you are so right! In fact I'm off to walk and listen to Reliquary (Relic) right now!

I finished No Rest for the Dead and thought it was somewhere between okay and pretty good. I was surprised how well it flowed considering each chapter was written by a different author. Now I'm reading English Tea Murder (Lucy Stone Mysteries) which happens in England instead of Tinker's Cove Maine. It's interesting to read about England (I've never been) but I'm 9 chapters in and the murder mystery portion hasn't started...

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 2:33:53 PM PDT
Finished The Seduction of Water by Carol Goodman. It was good, but I liked her The Lake of Dead Languages and The Drowning Tree better.

I found out she wrote one called The Demon Lover: A Novel under the pseudonym Juliet Dark and am shocked that my library had it available as a Kindle book. Will start on it as soon as I finish Relic since I checked it out first.

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 2:41:51 PM PDT
Over the past few days I've read
Golden Mile to Murder (A Chief Inspector Woodend Mystery), great entry in a good series

The Narrow Path, an interesting Mennonite "romance" with a clash between a new order Mennonite woman and an old older Mennonite man

Cherry Ames, Army Nurse (third of four books in Cherry Ames, Student Nurse. Great old series.

Today I'm starting The Eldritch Conspiracy, the most recent entry in a well-done paranormal series.

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 3:22:07 PM PDT
Lonnie says:
I just completed reading Reign of Blood (Delirium Novella Series). Nice short read but very enjoyable. I am still working on Skin Medicine 36% I broke down with a credit and started listening to the Audible version of Defending Jacob. Whoever mentioned the narrator in an earlier post was correct. He is excellent. At risk of being off-topic - the narrator is Grover Gardner who did the narration for the Hangman's Daughter series.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2013 4:08:52 PM PDT
Karin says:
Very interesting....and smart!

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 4:08:52 PM PDT
Bull Street......by author David Lender...financial thriller...Wall Street misdeeds, am 60% in and really enjoying this from a author new to me.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle for Android 4.6
59 13 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update 5.4.5.1
55 21 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 24 days ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Kindle Fire HD kills my internet connection 110 5 minutes ago
Can't read in the night 8 9 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 3520 12 minutes ago
my prime account when does itexpire 3 22 minutes ago
Moving books from one device to another 15 24 minutes ago
Yesterday's newspaper edition came in today again 1 26 minutes ago
Stop giving Nazi & Anti-Semitic literature a place to look legitimate on Amazon 29 27 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  102
Total posts:  370
Initial post:  Apr 1, 2013
Latest post:  Nov 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions