Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Remove more than one book at a time

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 6, 2012 12:10:43 AM PST
trmh says:
Can I remove more than one book at a time????

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 12:50:43 AM PST
Bixillarla says:
The only option to remove more than 1 book at time would be to do a facotry reset, this will erase all the books and content on the Kindle and set back to like it came from the factory.

Short of doing a factory reset you have to do it 1 book at a time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012 1:02:28 AM PST
A. says:
Connect your Kindle to your computer with USB. View the Kindle's documents folder on your computer. Select the files corresponding to the books you want to delete (to select multiple files, hold down the Ctrl key while clicking). Then press the Delete key.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 7:41:50 AM PDT
Gill says:
Great advice, niever thought of that.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 8:06:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 8:06:44 AM PDT
The answer is "no" and I think Amazon should address this. I broke my Kindle and ordered a new one. Moving hundreds of books one at a time was a pain. Fortunately, my broken Kindle worked for awhile so I was able to separate my books read from the books waiting to be read. Otherwise, it would have been an even bigger mess. Amazon needs to address that, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 8:18:08 AM PDT
quilt lover says:
The answer was yes, you can remove more than one book at a time via USB. I think you may be talking about adding books, Patrick.

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 11:56:40 AM PST
B. D. Deeves says:
I'm confused by this because when I go to my kindle folder on my pc, only the books or files that I've downloaded from pdf's are there, not the books I purchased from amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2013 12:00:59 PM PST
flipoid says:
You would not go to your Kindle folder on your PC (if you have the Kindle for PC reading application, that Kindle folder is associated with that application).

What you need to do is connect your actual Kindle to your computer using the USB cable. When you do that, the computer will see the Kindle as an external drive (like a flash drive). You can double-click "My Computer," then click on whatever drive says Kindle (might be D: or E:). When you open the Kindle drive, you'll see three or four folders in that window (I remember "documents" "Audible" and "music"--there may be more but it's been a while since I've connected my e-ink Kindles to my computer). Open the "documents" folder and you will see all of the Kindle books that are on your actual Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2013 12:02:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 25, 2013 12:03:01 PM PST
B. D. do NOT remove books as suggested here. Your Kindle will not reflect the space freed up correctly, and it is fairly easy to delete a necessary system file.

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 12:12:14 PM PST
The only Kindle that allowed multiple deletions was the K1. I'm guessing Customer Service got so many calls from people who accidentally deleted books they still wanted, or who didn't really understand that removing them meant they'd have to re-purchase them to read them again, Amazon decided to make it a one-at-a-time thing. If memory serves, that's also when they added the extra confirmation that you now get before you can delete a book from the library.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2013 12:21:46 PM PST
flipoid says:
Wow, I didn't know you could *ever* completely delete a book from your account using a Kindle (except, of course, using the web browser on a Fire for your Amazon account--MYK page). I thought that the deletions (actually, "removals") from the Kindle just removes a book from your device and it stays in your Archives.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2013 1:09:24 PM PST
TravelingGal says:
You can't, unless it was purchased from a non-Amazon account and not stored in your personal documents.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2013 1:17:23 PM PST
Debi says:
I've been doing it this way for years. When I'm done deleting them I always rearrange them and I've never had a problem. It's pretty obvious which are the book files.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2013 1:39:15 PM PST
There have been a number of posters who have had major issues from doing it that way. Many times, the Kindle will not reflect the empty space correctly. There have been 2 that I remember who totally hosed their devices because they deleted operating system files.

It just isn't the recommended procedure. Many Kindle users are not technically savy at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2013 7:00:42 PM PST
flipoid says:
I didn't ever see anything other than book files in the "documents" folder when I hooked up my Kindle 2 to the computer, though. Except maybe for the "notes/bookmarks" files, but deleting those won't do anything except get rid of notes or bookmarks you might want to keep.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Jan 6, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions